China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farrandeelin

Quote from: hardstation on October 30, 2020, 11:38:35 PM
Nah, it was Communion parties that fcuked the whole thing.

Christening party has spread it widely locally here.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

sid waddell

144 deaths in Belgium yesterday

Belgium's population is 11.6 million

And yet the Covid deniers continue about their merry ways in their shame-free, fantasy, la la world of make believe

Hello Ewan MacKenna
Hello David Quinn
Hello Karl Deeter
Hello Michael McDowell
Hello Michael McNamara

Kidder81

Quote from: Rossfan on October 30, 2020, 11:34:24 PM
I'd suspect 3rd level going back increased the spread.

And boozers being open

Denn Forever

I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

armaghniac

Quote from: Denn Forever on October 31, 2020, 11:18:37 AM
maybe it's been discused already, but the virus is mutating.  worrying wrt vacine.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/europe/majority-of-irish-covid-19-cases-come-from-variant-that-originated-in-spain-study-1.4394152

they do track these mutations to see how it spreads, but this virus mutates much less the flu and it does not necessarily affect a vaccine.
The problem is travel to some extent, but also because the people who did go to Spain this year were often reckless in how they behaved there.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

LCohen

Quote from: Angelo on October 29, 2020, 09:43:22 AM
Quote from: Hound on October 29, 2020, 09:26:04 AM
Quote from: stephenite on October 29, 2020, 12:44:34 AM
Quote from: sid waddell on October 28, 2020, 08:01:26 PM
Quote from: Cunny Funt on October 28, 2020, 07:41:43 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on October 28, 2020, 06:34:36 PM
There have been 9 more Covid-19 deaths in the 6 counties, including one person aged under 19.
840 new cases were also reported today, resulting from tests on 3,722 individuals, which is 22.5% positivity which isn't great.

yet again the 26 counties has less cases, 676, than the wee 6.
Lowest daily case number in the ROI since October 9th. Seven day average has fallen now for 4 days in a row.
Yet more evidence, as if it was needed, that lockdowns work

I'm just coming out of (apparently) one of the harshest lockdowns globally. Definitely worked
Lockdowns are painful and nobody wants them, but they clearly work as the best way to reduce cases of Covid, and therefore reduce hospital admissions from Covid, which can allow our Health Service (which already was only mediocre (being generous)) to deal with normal health requirements. Hopefully we'll continue down the route of cases coming down day-by-day and don't overact if there's an outlier one-off day which shows an increase or a too-good-to-be-true decrease.

They key will be how "we" react when we get the numbers down and move out of Level 5. I feel desperately sorry for those business owners and employees who are worst hit by the restrictions. We owe it to them to behave strictly in accordance with Level 2 and 3 (or whatever we move to) when we come out of Level 5.  And of course our Test and Trace system will be absolutely critical.

I understand we're close to bringing in the new antigen testing that is able to mean almost instant test results. Albeit it's not as reliable (and the current testing system isn't the most reliable!), so will be interesting to see how that develops.

More Covid tunnel vision.

They work on a single perspective of reducing virus transmission but cause complete carnage to the economy, other health services, support services to vulnerable people, increased domestic violence cases and so on and so forth.

Lockdowns don't work.

Angelo, time to set out your stall.

Set out your proposed strategy. The steps, the likely death toll, the impact on the NHS, the impact on the economy. Let's hear it.

Seaney

Milltown Row2

Time yet for Angelo... that's twice he was put in his box, disappeared for few pages but will be roaring back soon enough
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Rossfan

He's too busy sorting out Leo these days.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Cunny Funt

Weekly numbers in the ROI good progress on cases.

Cases 4940 (2254 less cases than last week)
Reported Deaths 33  ( 3 more than last week)

In hospital 325 ( 6 more than last week)
ICU 47 ( 9 more than last week)

Harold Disgracey

Good article from the Spectator of all places for those lauding the Swedish model.

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/what-lockdown-sceptics-get-wrong-about-sweden

dublin7

Quote from: Harold Disgracey on November 02, 2020, 12:54:00 PM
Good article from the Spectator of all places for those lauding the Swedish model.

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/what-lockdown-sceptics-get-wrong-about-sweden

Time magazine had an article two weeks ago warning Sweden's approach wasn't working and since then cases there have shot up and had their highest ever daily figure last week.

They have implemented local lockdowns in some towns now roughly equivalent to Level 3 here to try get case numbers down. That they have highest no. of covid cases compared to all their neighbouring Nordic countries isn't a coincidence.

sid waddell

Quote from: stephenite on October 29, 2020, 12:44:34 AM
Quote from: sid waddell on October 28, 2020, 08:01:26 PM
Quote from: Cunny Funt on October 28, 2020, 07:41:43 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on October 28, 2020, 06:34:36 PM
There have been 9 more Covid-19 deaths in the 6 counties, including one person aged under 19.
840 new cases were also reported today, resulting from tests on 3,722 individuals, which is 22.5% positivity which isn't great.

yet again the 26 counties has less cases, 676, than the wee 6.
Lowest daily case number in the ROI since October 9th. Seven day average has fallen now for 4 days in a row.
Yet more evidence, as if it was needed, that lockdowns work

I'm just coming out of (apparently) one of the harshest lockdowns globally. Definitely worked
I'm presuming you're talking about Victoria here

From the outside, it would appear to me that the Victoria state government have done a remarkable job in the face of a rabid right-wing Australian media who peddled the typical snake oil we're all now familiar with, except on steroids

They decided on a policy of crushing the virus and put 100% into achieving that

It was a tough slog, but they seem to be seeing the benefits now

thewobbler

Don't forget folks:

- Right is bad, left is good.

And it works just as well when said in reverse:

- Bad is right, good is left.

Look I know what you're now thinking.... you don't live in a country where right or left matters. But get with the system would you?

sid waddell

Who could have guessed that Wobbler would turn out to be a fan of Andrew Bolt and Alan Jones

Probably everybody - if they knew who Bolt and Jones were