China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seaney

Quote from: sid waddell on October 28, 2020, 08:01:26 PM
Quote from: Cunny Funt on October 28, 2020, 07:41:43 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on October 28, 2020, 06:34:36 PM
There have been 9 more Covid-19 deaths in the 6 counties, including one person aged under 19.
840 new cases were also reported today, resulting from tests on 3,722 individuals, which is 22.5% positivity which isn't great.

yet again the 26 counties has less cases, 676, than the wee 6.
Lowest daily case number in the ROI since October 9th. Seven day average has fallen now for 4 days in a row.
Yet more evidence, as if it was needed, that lockdowns work

And to hell with those who suffer as a result?

armaghniac

There have been 9 more Covid-19 deaths in the 6 counties, including one person aged under 19.
840 new cases were also reported today, resulting from tests on 3,722 individuals, which is 22.5% positivity which isn't great.

Lowest daily case number in the ROI since October 9th. Seven day average has fallen now for 4 days in a row.

I think the ROI lockdown will work fine. Shops can be opened before Xmas and pubs for the period between Xmas and the New Year. Perhaps some closure in January will be needed, but perhaps not if things are kept tight.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

sid waddell

Quote from: Seaney on October 28, 2020, 08:11:10 PM

And to hell with those who suffer as a result?
Em, you're the person proposing many more people suffer than is necessary, not me

You should address your question to yourself

Taylor

Quote from: Seaney on October 28, 2020, 08:09:51 PM
Quote from: Taylor on October 28, 2020, 04:47:50 PM
Quote from: Seaney on October 28, 2020, 04:32:58 PM
Quote from: Taylor on October 28, 2020, 02:37:13 PM
Quote from: Seaney on October 28, 2020, 02:29:16 PM
Quote from: Taylor on October 28, 2020, 02:23:10 PM
Quote from: Seaney on October 28, 2020, 02:22:03 PM
Quote from: Taylor on October 28, 2020, 02:20:58 PM
Quote from: Seaney on October 28, 2020, 01:37:11 PM
Quote from: Taylor on October 28, 2020, 11:17:25 AM
Just a question regarding the hospitals.

One of the reasons many surgeries are being cancelled is because there are not enough staff to go around because many are self isolating or have caught Covid.

What do the people arguing about hospital capacities/cancellations etc suggest is done to stop this?

What about doctors manning empty covid centres?

Is that an answer to the question or is it another question?

Yes

Yes to what?

Are you answering my question or are you asking a further question?

Does it not do a bit of both?

Jesus - I have no idea - its why I asked.

Anyway - if you are suggesting that doctors manning empty Covid wards (not sure how many there are) so be able to fill in for all of the NHS staff off because of Covid or self isolating then I would say you would be more than a few short.

What do you think?

I think the NHS is failing people.

But your answer to NHS staff being off work because of Covid was to use the doctors on empty Covid wards?

No you drew that conclusion, I said a bit of both, I will ask again in a pandemic do you think a doctor working in an empty ward is a good use of resources?

I asked the same question a number of times.
You wouldnt give a straight answer - then said a bit of both and now you are saying I drew my own conclusion.

To answer your question - if a doctor is working on an empty ward then that is not a good use of resources.

Now - any chance of giving a straight answer to my question.......

One of the reasons many surgeries are being cancelled is because there are not enough staff to go around because many are self isolating or have caught Covid.

What do the people arguing about hospital capacities/cancellations etc suggest is done to stop this?

Ed Ricketts

This thread has become very weird over the last two or three weeks.

It has become dominated by a single individual, more recently assisted by a fellow regen poster.

Every day the exact same discussion is had. Other posters seem to take turns engaging (I know I've had my go), and, even when is looks like progress has been made towards a common understanding, the discussion just resets the following morning. It really is Groundhog Day.

Why is there no interest in building on the more amicable efforts to talk through these issues? Why is it that the more confrontational responses elicit the most attention and most verbose replies? What is the point in restating your position several times every single day, without any effort to understand and consider the positions of those with which you disagree?

Nothing about COVID is black and white. There are certainly discussions to be had, but it looks like there's no interest in ever attempting to have a genuine discussion - it's just an argument that's wanted. Any argument about any thing, but the more belligerent and combative the better. Maybe this kind of thing is actually enjoyable for a certain type of person. Weird.
Doc would listen to any kind of nonsense and change it for you to a kind of wisdom.

Milltown Row2

It's went to shit when posters don't answer questions.

Should ban seasonal flu on this thread and doctors doing nothing
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Jell 0 Biafra

This thread used to be a good source of information on Covid in Ireland, particularly for those of us living abroad.  But lately it has become an unedifying and repetitive back and forth where the same arguments are put forth again and again. 

As a way of moving forward, I  respectfully suggest that this thread be split into two.  One on Covid/Lockdown scepticism, and one on general news updates on covid.   

Cunny Funt

We are only seeing the evidence on level 3 restrictions right now as it takes a good 3 or 4 weeks for progress to be seen.

Angelo

Quote from: Ed Ricketts on October 28, 2020, 10:26:42 PM
This thread has become very weird over the last two or three weeks.

It has become dominated by a single individual, more recently assisted by a fellow regen poster.

Every day the exact same discussion is had. Other posters seem to take turns engaging (I know I've had my go), and, even when is looks like progress has been made towards a common understanding, the discussion just resets the following morning. It really is Groundhog Day.

Why is there no interest in building on the more amicable efforts to talk through these issues? Why is it that the more confrontational responses elicit the most attention and most verbose replies? What is the point in restating your position several times every single day, without any effort to understand and consider the positions of those with which you disagree?

Nothing about COVID is black and white. There are certainly discussions to be had, but it looks like there's no interest in ever attempting to have a genuine discussion - it's just an argument that's wanted. Any argument about any thing, but the more belligerent and combative the better. Maybe this kind of thing is actually enjoyable for a certain type of person. Weird.

A post laden in irony.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Ed Ricketts

Angelo, yesterday we had an interaction on this thread that was largely amicable. No name calling, no abuse. I tried to understand your argument, and rationalise it with what I currently see happening. It seemed like it might have developed into a genuine discussion into the unenviable trades-off currently being made to manage the pandemic.

But after a couple of posts this didn't seem to do it for you anymore, and you were back off to shout at Milltown and Armaghniac and lenny and everyone else.

This is what I'm on about. Your belligerent reply above is what I'm on about.

You don't really want to discuss, in the truest sense of that word, anything at all. You just want a row. And this has long become boring for everyone else trying to follow the thread.
Doc would listen to any kind of nonsense and change it for you to a kind of wisdom.

stephenite

I'm just coming out of (apparently) one of the harshest lockdowns globally. Definitely worked

Hound

Quote from: stephenite on October 29, 2020, 12:44:34 AM

I'm just coming out of (apparently) one of the harshest lockdowns globally. Definitely worked
Lockdowns are painful and nobody wants them, but they clearly work as the best way to reduce cases of Covid, and therefore reduce hospital admissions from Covid, which can allow our Health Service (which already was only mediocre (being generous)) to deal with normal health requirements. Hopefully we'll continue down the route of cases coming down day-by-day and don't overact if there's an outlier one-off day which shows an increase or a too-good-to-be-true decrease.

They key will be how "we" react when we get the numbers down and move out of Level 5. I feel desperately sorry for those business owners and employees who are worst hit by the restrictions. We owe it to them to behave strictly in accordance with Level 2 and 3 (or whatever we move to) when we come out of Level 5.  And of course our Test and Trace system will be absolutely critical.

I understand we're close to bringing in the new antigen testing that is able to mean almost instant test results. Albeit it's not as reliable (and the current testing system isn't the most reliable!), so will be interesting to see how that develops.

Angelo

Quote from: Hound on October 29, 2020, 09:26:04 AM

Lockdowns are painful and nobody wants them, but they clearly work as the best way to reduce cases of Covid, and therefore reduce hospital admissions from Covid, which can allow our Health Service (which already was only mediocre (being generous)) to deal with normal health requirements. Hopefully we'll continue down the route of cases coming down day-by-day and don't overact if there's an outlier one-off day which shows an increase or a too-good-to-be-true decrease.

They key will be how "we" react when we get the numbers down and move out of Level 5. I feel desperately sorry for those business owners and employees who are worst hit by the restrictions. We owe it to them to behave strictly in accordance with Level 2 and 3 (or whatever we move to) when we come out of Level 5.  And of course our Test and Trace system will be absolutely critical.

I understand we're close to bringing in the new antigen testing that is able to mean almost instant test results. Albeit it's not as reliable (and the current testing system isn't the most reliable!), so will be interesting to see how that develops.

More Covid tunnel vision.

They work on a single perspective of reducing virus transmission but cause complete carnage to the economy, other health services, support services to vulnerable people, increased domestic violence cases and so on and so forth.

Lockdowns don't work.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Taylor

How was it Stephenite?

Has there been much impact to local business/jobs/economy etc?

And finally, how did it differ to ours here?

Taylor

Germany & France coming with serious lockdowns - its going to be a very tough Xmas for many