China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sid waddell

Quote from: Dubh driocht on October 24, 2020, 12:26:06 PM
I thought Tony Holohan was excellent on the Late Late last night; informed, realistic but reassuring.  The 26 counties are lucky to have such leadership at this time.
There was at least one prominent Irish "sports journalist" doing his nut online over Holohan's appearance

The same chap complains about "lack of clarity and communication"

With some cranks out there, your fecked if you do and fecked if you don't

RedHand88

Quote from: sid waddell on October 24, 2020, 01:33:48 PM
Quote from: Dubh driocht on October 24, 2020, 12:26:06 PM
I thought Tony Holohan was excellent on the Late Late last night; informed, realistic but reassuring.  The 26 counties are lucky to have such leadership at this time.
There was at least one prominent Irish "sports journalist" doing his nut online over Holohan's appearance

The same chap complains about "lack of clarity and communication"

With some cranks out there, your fecked if you do and fecked if you don't

If its who I think it is i wouldn't lose any sleep over him.

gallsman

Some news from here in Spain. National state of emergency declared, could go on until May 9th. National curfew of 10pm to 6am, except in the Canaries, at least for now.

Going to be a long, hard winter. At least it doesn't rain as much over here.

Angelo

France have had three 40k plus positive cases 3 days now in succession.

At the peak of the "first wave" the highest daily total was 7k.....

At what multiple were first wave cases likely underreported?

GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Milltown Row2

That's a multiple you can't know. Pointless trying to work it out in fairness

I think the more you test the more positive results you'll get..
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

Quote from: gallsman on October 25, 2020, 03:02:13 PM
Some news from here in Spain. National state of emergency declared, could go on until May 9th. National curfew of 10pm to 6am, except in the Canaries, at least for now.

Going to be a long, hard winter. At least it doesn't rain as much over here.

Jaysus.

screenexile

US have stopped trying to control the virus!!!

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: Angelo on October 25, 2020, 04:21:01 PM
France have had three 40k plus positive cases 3 days now in succession.

At the peak of the "first wave" the highest daily total was 7k.....

At what multiple were first wave cases likely underreported?

More than any of us could imagine I would suggest.

Angelo

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 25, 2020, 04:25:42 PM

But the first wave was far more telling in communities, hospitals overwhelmed, massive fatality rate as opposed to now.

There could be many different reasons but if you were contrasting consequences to cases, it's almost like two completely different viruses.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Angelo on October 25, 2020, 04:54:03 PM

But the first wave was far more telling in communities, hospitals overwhelmed, massive fatality rate as opposed to now.

There could be many different reasons but if you were contrasting consequences to cases, it's almost like two completely different viruses.

The fatalities were higher because it was a new virus that medical staff were overwhelmed with and couldn't get a handle on treating it. Nursing homes were badly prepared and ppe was non existent..

Loads of reasons as to why . Same virus better prepared younger generation getting it. I could be talking shite
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Angelo

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 25, 2020, 05:01:18 PM
Quote from: Angelo on October 25, 2020, 04:54:03 PM

The fatalities were higher because it was a new virus that medical staff were overwhelmed with and couldn't get a handle on treating it. Nursing homes were badly prepared and ppe was non existent..

Loads of reasons as to why . Same virus better prepared younger generation getting it. I could be talking shite

Lots of potential reasons as you said.

The next 2/3 months is going to tell us a lot though. In terms of documented cases, we are seeing record numbers and it 2/3 months time we will see the consequences of those record numbers. We will see the death numbers, the demograph of those, the rates of hospitalisations, we will see the number of excess deaths etc.

And this data should decide where we go, this data should allow us to discover if lockdowns and excessive restrictions and their ramifications are causing more problems than they are solving.

Cunny Funt

Some progress seen this week in ROI with the positivity in testing dropping from 7,3 to 6.2

Cases 7194 (301 less than last week)

Reported deaths 30 ( 3 less than last week)

In hospital 319 (44 more than last week)
In ICU 38 (5 more than this time last week)

Ed Ricketts

Quote from: Cunny Funt on October 25, 2020, 06:08:02 PM
Some progress seen this week in ROI with the positivity in testing dropping from 7,3 to 6.2

No such progress in the north.

33 deaths reported in the last week - up 7 from the previous week.
369 people in hospital, with 37 in ICU - these numbers have been increasing every day for over four weeks now.

A sustained levelling off in case numbers, though. Is this a genuine slow down, or has testing capacity become a limiting factor? The seven day rolling average of percentage tests coming back positive continues to rise (up to ~14-15%), this would suggest that not enough testing is going on.
Doc would listen to any kind of nonsense and change it for you to a kind of wisdom.

armaghniac

Quote from: Ed Ricketts on October 25, 2020, 10:42:42 PM
Quote from: Cunny Funt on October 25, 2020, 06:08:02 PM

No such progress in the north.

33 deaths reported in the last week - up 7 from the previous week.
369 people in hospital, with 37 in ICU - these numbers have been increasing every day for over four weeks now.

A sustained levelling off in case numbers, though. Is this a genuine slow down, or has testing capacity become a limiting factor? The seven day rolling average of percentage tests coming back positive continues to rise (up to ~14-15%), this would suggest that not enough testing is going on.

A levelling off in cases, but at a level where most hospitals are full and regular work is being postponed to make space. Not a great position facing into the winter.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

RedHand88

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on October 23, 2020, 07:06:46 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on October 23, 2020, 06:43:07 PM

I live right in the middle of this mid ulster darkness and I still know/know of one person with it. It's very strange numbers.

I know of at least a dozen in mid ulster from the last fortnight. Half of cookstown is down with it. There was a wedding a few weeks ago that about 30 cases came from.