China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

armaghniac

Quote from: Seaney on October 21, 2020, 11:25:20 AM
It will all come out in the wash - lockdowns hurt everyone but the virus. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-54626760

everybody except the thousands that do not get sick or the hundreds that do not die.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

five points

Quote from: armaghniac on October 21, 2020, 11:27:44 AM
It will all come out in the wash - lockdowns hurt everyone but the virus. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-54626760

everybody except the thousands that do not get sick or the hundreds that do not die.

? They hurt them too. "But you didn't get the virus" won't feed or house you if you lose your livelihood and have your place repossessed.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: five points on October 21, 2020, 11:34:18 AM

? They hurt them too. "But you didn't get the virus" won't feed or house you if you lose your livelihood and have your place repossessed.

The American model.

Milltown Row2

Will Belfast and the rest, get these packages that are on offer in Manchester and Liverpool?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

GetOverTheBar

We'll be lucky, remember it wasn't that long ago this place swindled England out of a billion to prop up the Govt.

armaghniac

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on October 21, 2020, 11:40:21 AM
Quote from: five points on October 21, 2020, 11:34:18 AM

The American model.

I disagree with the American model, I favour the European approach of helping out those who have to close, even if that required a temporary tax on people still working (like me).
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

imtommygunn

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 21, 2020, 11:54:41 AM
Will Belfast and the rest, get these packages that are on offer in Manchester and Liverpool?

Boris said "absolutely" so obviously we will get a great package ::)

I'm still not convinced we ever got that billion. A lot of smoke and mirrors to it I think.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: imtommygunn on October 21, 2020, 12:12:36 PM

I'm still not convinced we ever got that billion. A lot of smoke and mirrors to it I think.

Billion! probably taxed us on it at 75% .. Does the Belfast Mayor have the same powers as the Manchester one?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

sid waddell

It's become so clear that the failure to put in place a proper, find, test, trace and isolate regime is the real problem here

I've been saying this for ages

Now contact tracing has been outsourced to those who test positive themselves, it's farcical

But for the last five months we've had internet experts telling us we need to be like Sweden - a classic "look over there"

Perhaps they would have been better off asking why we weren't investing in find, test, trace and isolate

This failure was a government decision and it was unquestioned "light touch" American ideology that led it when what was required was massive government investment

It's yet another failure of the same "light touch" bullshit that has caused so many problems in so many areas going back decades

Franko

Quote from: sid waddell on October 21, 2020, 12:19:03 PM
It's become so clear that the failure to put in place a proper, find, test, trace and isolate regime is the real problem here

Now contact tracing has been outsourced to those who test positive themselves, it's farcical

But for the last five months we've had internet experts telling us we need to be like Sweden - a classic "look over there"

Perhaps they would have been better off asking why we weren't investing in find, test, trace and isolate

This failure was a government decision and it was unquestioned "light touch" American ideology that led it when what was required was massive government investment

It's yet another failure of the same "light touch" bullshit that has caused so many problems in so many areas going back decades

The investment was there.  12 Billion Quid of it.  It just went to a bunch of Dom's mates who stuffed it in their pockets and did fcuk all finding, testing, tracing or isolating.

sid waddell

Quote from: Franko on October 21, 2020, 12:26:26 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on October 21, 2020, 12:19:03 PM

The investment was there.  12 Billion Quid of it.  It just went to a bunch of Dom's mates who stuffed it in their pockets and did fcuk all finding, testing, tracing or isolating.
Talking about the Republic here but in the UK it seems the whole thing is a crony capitalist enterprise alright

imtommygunn

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 21, 2020, 12:16:27 PM

Billion! probably taxed us on it at 75% .. Does the Belfast Mayor have the same powers as the Manchester one?

I don't think so but am not sure. Belfast Mayor just a councillor really - I think.

I don't think it would work like that here anyway - I suspect it wouldn't be Belfast they would ask for but the whole place. It's the MPs who would deal with this so any of them over in westminster.

That would be my thinking anyway but unsure on this.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: imtommygunn on October 21, 2020, 01:27:05 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 21, 2020, 12:16:27 PM

I don't think so but am not sure. Belfast Mayor just a councillor really - I think.

I don't think it would work like that here anyway - I suspect it wouldn't be Belfast they would ask for but the whole place. It's the MPs who would deal with this so any of them over in westminster.

That would be my thinking anyway but unsure on this.

So its just some dude/dude't with a chain round their necks with no power at all? 

imtommygunn

I don't really know tbh. Reminds me of the president of a GAA club lol. I imagine at council level they have powers but more "national" level not. Any previous ones seem to use it as a stepping stone to bigger things.

Angelo

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 20, 2020, 07:37:50 PM
Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on October 19, 2020, 08:28:21 PM
Quote from: Angelo on October 19, 2020, 05:06:57 PM
Those people with Covid tunnel vision have absolutely no interest in looking at the consequences of using lockdowns and restrictions to fight it, maybe you should look at the bigger picture for once.

Current case fatality rate here is 4% (time weighted for day of contraction).

I was going to say that is overly pessimistic and take 1% instead. But, if we followed your course (which you don't outline, but the assumption must be that it is light touch), then the health services would collapse and you would see 4% as a minimum death rate over the long term

Then with your world of minimal restrictions, how many get the virus? Half the population before herd immunity effects kick in? (Half being optimistic, usual thought train is around 70% of populace needs to be immune.)

So, half the population of the north is 1.8 million. Half of that is 900k. 4% of that is 36k people.

In 2018, 15,922 people died in the north. You are advocating doubling the annual death rate in response to worries over intangible forecasts elsewhere.

Big picture? You don't have a f**king clue. Not surprising the man that cannot grasp the difference between fractions and percentages cannot play with big numbers.

Did Angelo respond to this one? Or did I miss it?

Yes. You missed it.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL