Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

That doesn't make good reading.

sid waddell

Quote from: Mario on October 07, 2020, 12:35:19 PM
Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on October 07, 2020, 11:48:04 AM
Quote from: thewobbler on October 07, 2020, 11:41:28 AM
That's some fine stereotyping skills. What else makes you think Swedish people are less social than other nations?

Where did I say they aren't social? They aren't unsociable, they just do it different and that doesn't involve weekly beer sessions.

A load of statistics on their population density, their average household occupancy, the alcohol consumption per capita. Wee things like that point to the differences.

Being sociable outdoors sans alcohol is a much lower risk than having a dozen pints in the pub with different groups of mates every weekend.

I often hear this argument against the Swedish model. Is there evidence to suggest Swedish people suffer lower rates of flu or colds than Ireland or other countries given all the points above?

I think as this plays out it will be clear the Swedish got it right. Regardless of whether Lockdowns work or not they aren't a viable solution.
But that would be to say that their neighbours Norway, Denmark and Finland got it wrong

A quick look at the stats would heavily dispute that notion

I'd like to hear a case made for why Norway, Denmark and Finland supposedly got it wrong

Jeepers Creepers

'Sweden, the government vested its pandemic response in its unelected public health expert Anders Tegnell, who issued advice and guidance rather than strict lockdowns. It was highly controversial because of catastrophic failures in its care homes: deaths rose rapidly, far outstripping those recorded in neighbouring countries. But as much of Europe appears to be experiencing a second wave of Covid infections, in Sweden cases are not rising so rapidly.
For the Swedish historian Lars Trägårdh, the answer to the country's relative success can be found by looking at the high levels of trust between citizen and state. It is the reason, he says, that exporting Sweden's bespoke policies across the world will not necessarily work everywhere else'

imtommygunn

That clearly wouldn't work with tories anyway as anyone with an ounce of sense wouldn't trust them.

Mario

Quote from: sid waddell on October 07, 2020, 02:32:40 PM
That's some fine stereotyping skills. What else makes you think Swedish people are less social than other nations?

Where did I say they aren't social? They aren't unsociable, they just do it different and that doesn't involve weekly beer sessions.

A load of statistics on their population density, their average household occupancy, the alcohol consumption per capita. Wee things like that point to the differences.

Being sociable outdoors sans alcohol is a much lower risk than having a dozen pints in the pub with different groups of mates every weekend.

I often hear this argument against the Swedish model. Is there evidence to suggest Swedish people suffer lower rates of flu or colds than Ireland or other countries given all the points above?

I think as this plays out it will be clear the Swedish got it right. Regardless of whether Lockdowns work or not they aren't a viable solution.
But that would be to say that their neighbours Norway, Denmark and Finland got it wrong

I'd like to hear a case made for why Norway, Denmark and Finland supposedly got it wrong

People are assessing everything as of right now but COVID is here to stay. There is a lot unknown about the vaccine and the economic impact has not been truly felt by any country yet. To say a country got it right or wrong now is premature. I think history will judge the Swedish approach as the sensible one.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Mario on October 07, 2020, 04:12:52 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on October 07, 2020, 02:32:40 PM

People are assessing everything as of right now but COVID is here to stay. There is a lot unknown about the vaccine and the economic impact has not been truly felt by any country yet. To say a country got it right or wrong now is premature. I think history will judge the Swedish approach as the sensible one.
Only deluded people will think that.

sid waddell

Quote from: Jeepers Creepers on October 07, 2020, 03:12:44 PM
'Sweden, the government vested its pandemic response in its unelected public health expert Anders Tegnell, who issued advice and guidance rather than strict lockdowns. It was highly controversial because of catastrophic failures in its care homes: deaths rose rapidly, far outstripping those recorded in neighbouring countries. But as much of Europe appears to be experiencing a second wave of Covid infections, in Sweden cases are not rising so rapidly.
For the Swedish historian Lars Trägårdh, the answer to the country's relative success can be found by looking at the high levels of trust between citizen and state. It is the reason, he says, that exporting Sweden's bespoke policies across the world will not necessarily work everywhere else'
It seems to me that one of the big narratives of the pro-Sweden people in Ireland is that they don't like "unelected bureaucrats" (they love the word bureaucrat as it's a pejorative word which can be used instead of an actual argument) making decisions

Yet Sweden's policy is entirely driven by "unelected bureaucrats"

Very curious logic indeed

Ed Ricketts

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on October 07, 2020, 10:08:36 AM
Quote from: Dire Ear on October 07, 2020, 09:51:18 AM
The testing is inaccurate,  thats why numbers are going up.
The deaths are falling,  amd most of them are probably connected to other causes
Simple really.

Possible. What's more certain is that we are doing multiple times the amount of testing we did in April/May leading to more positive cases right now.

Testing numbers in the north have been consistent since the start of September. But case numbers have skyrocketed in that time.

Up from averaging about 2% of tests coming back positive, to over 10%.

Whatever about earlier in the year, the number of positive tests in the north right now absolutely can not be explained by increased testing.

Doc would listen to any kind of nonsense and change it for you to a kind of wisdom.

Rossfan

Over 800 cases in the North today.
Time to lock ye down (or up)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

sid waddell

611 cases and 5 deaths in the saorstát

Blowitupref

Quote from: sid waddell on October 07, 2020, 05:56:55 PM
611 cases and 5 deaths in the saorstát

I'd wonder was those deaths recently?

Cases in line with the positive swabs 624 in the  last 24hrs from 14,407 tests a lot more tests than is done in NI.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Minder

So no surprise that half of clusters identified in the North traced to hospitality settings
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

seafoid

Quote from: Rossfan on October 07, 2020, 05:44:19 PM
What's the nationalist/unionist split ?

trileacman

Quote from: seafoid on October 07, 2020, 07:01:43 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on October 07, 2020, 05:44:19 PM
What's the nationalist/unionist split ?
It's a religious matter.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

ballinaman

Quote from: Minder on October 07, 2020, 06:18:34 PM
So no surprise that half of clusters identified in the North traced to hospitality settings
Which is frustrating that there isn't enough focus on the K number and environments which super spreading can occur...university accommodation halls, care homes ...
Seasonal variation in terms of a novel virus would help explain the rise in cases also...