China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trileacman

Quote from: sid waddell on October 02, 2020, 09:04:42 PM
Quote from: trileacman on October 02, 2020, 07:40:44 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on October 02, 2020, 03:39:28 PM
Quote from: trileacman on October 02, 2020, 10:25:13 AM
You said the aim was to reduce deaths, now you're saying it's a balancing act between opening up and reducing deaths. So which is it? What level of deaths are acceptable?
You're just being an internet eejit
Can you answer the question or not? What level of deaths are acceptable?
Clearly in your case it's a hell of a lot more than mine given that you're proposing letting the virus rip through the population

I'm not proposing that, so it's you that should be answering that question, not me
Right I'll ask a simpler question for you. Should the government not issue a full-lockdown to get on top of current Covid infections, given that the rise in infections will undoubtedly lead to deaths and people having long term health effects?
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

seafoid

sid waddell

Quote from: trileacman on October 02, 2020, 09:16:04 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on October 02, 2020, 09:04:42 PM
Quote from: trileacman on October 02, 2020, 07:40:44 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on October 02, 2020, 03:39:28 PM
Quote from: trileacman on October 02, 2020, 10:25:13 AM
You said the aim was to reduce deaths, now you're saying it's a balancing act between opening up and reducing deaths. So which is it? What level of deaths are acceptable?
You're just being an internet eejit
Can you answer the question or not? What level of deaths are acceptable?
Clearly in your case it's a hell of a lot more than mine given that you're proposing letting the virus rip through the population

I'm not proposing that, so it's you that should be answering that question, not me
Right I'll ask a simpler question for you. Should the government not issue a full-lockdown to get on top of current Covid infections, given that the rise in infections will undoubtedly lead to deaths and people having long term health effects?
That's always an option and as a layman looking at the figures I'd say it's well possible at some stage in the not too distant future

I'm not an expert so I can't say whether it's necessary - I trust NPHET to make the right decision though - they're the experts

Again as a layman looking at the NI figures it would seem to me that it will probably be necessary there very soon

It looks like the nature of tinkering with liberalisation of the restrictions is that at some stage you go slightly too far and have to apply quenching measures

I have a lot a sympathy for those making the decisions because they're trying to juggle public health and sustaining people's livelihoods, it's a lot of responsibility

armaghniac

Trump got experimental drug and is now off to hospital.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Farrandeelin

Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Rudi

Is it the experimental medication or Covid that has Trump hospitalized?

trileacman

Quote from: sid waddell on October 02, 2020, 09:27:44 PM
That's always an option and as a layman looking at the figures I'd say it's well possible at some stage in the not too distant future

I'm not an expert so I can't say whether it's necessary - I trust NPHET to make the right decision though - they're the experts

Again as a layman looking at the NI figures it would seem to me that it will probably be necessary there very soon

It looks like the nature of tinkering with liberalisation of the restrictions is that at some stage you go slightly too far and have to apply quenching measures

I have a lot a sympathy for those making the decisions because they're trying to juggle public health and sustaining people's livelihoods, it's a lot of responsibility

QuoteThe aim of policy has to be to minimise deaths, this is the most basic function of government

I think the zero Covid strategy is worth a genuinely serious investigation, that would be the only way you could open up your internal economy fully with no restrictions

I don't see how you can equivocate these two positions you have sid. You think lockdown might be necessary soon in Northern Ireland? What are they waiting for then? Why are they letting people catch the virus? Why are they letting people suffer from the long-term consequences of it? If the virus is so serious, can strike down any age group, can have sure debilitating long lasting effects why the fcuk would you accept that it's necessary to continue to let people catch it?

Have you given up hope that the government will try to eradicate this disease?

trileacman

Quote from: Rudi on October 02, 2020, 10:25:59 PM
Is it the experimental medication or Covid that has Trump hospitalized?

Covid. It's all but assured that he's on the way out.

sid waddell

Quote from: trileacman on October 02, 2020, 10:30:02 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on October 02, 2020, 09:27:44 PM

QuoteThe aim of policy has to be to minimise deaths, this is the most basic function of government

I think the zero Covid strategy is worth a genuinely serious investigation, that would be the only way you could open up your internal economy fully with no restrictions

I don't see how you can equivocate these two positions you have sid. You think lockdown might be necessary soon in Northern Ireland? What are they waiting for then? Why are they letting people catch the virus? Why are they letting people suffer from the long-term consequences of it? If the virus is so serious, can strike down any age group, can have sure debilitating long lasting effects why the fcuk would you accept that it's necessary to continue to let people catch it?

Have you given up hope that the government will try to eradicate this disease?

Wha?

The experts are the people who decide whether a lockdown will be necessary

They have the figures and the data and the expertise to know whether one is necessary, if it's necessary I expect there will be one

Zero Covid is not eradication, it's reduction of community transmission to zero as far as I know

Your debating strategy is going into full blown internet eejit territory

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Farrandeelin on October 02, 2020, 10:25:20 PM
Trump off to hospital.
Serious situation considering Trump age and weight.

trileacman

Quote from: sid waddell on October 02, 2020, 10:39:29 PM

Zero Covid is not eradication, it's reduction of community transmission to zero

Wha? Which experts do you agree with then? NPET? the British experts? the Swedish experts? Which experts have been right?

There's no need to respond with "eejit" personal abuse sid. If you can't argue your point convincingly then just say nothing.

sid waddell

Quote from: trileacman on October 02, 2020, 10:46:58 PM

Wha? Which experts do you agree with then? NPET? the British experts? the Swedish experts? Which experts have been right?

There's no need to respond with "eejit" personal abuse sid. If you can't argue your point convincingly then just say nothing.
It's not that complicated, mate

Zero Covid and the current strategy in Eire are both a hell of a lot better than letting the virus rip

I said you were veering into eejitry because you are

My position is perfectly logical

And you're the person that needs to answer the question about what's an acceptable level of death because you're the person proposing to let the virus rip, not me

trileacman

Quote from: sid waddell on October 02, 2020, 11:10:43 PM

Zero Covid and the current strategy in Eire are both a hell of a lot better than letting the virus rip

And you're the person that needs to answer the question about what's an acceptable level of death because you're the person proposing to let the virus rip, not me

Where'd I say let the virus rip?

mate.

sid waddell

Quote from: trileacman on October 02, 2020, 11:30:11 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on October 02, 2020, 11:10:43 PM

Where'd I say let the virus rip?

mate.

Here

Quote from: trileacman on October 01, 2020, 12:52:28 AM

So in a herd immunity plan we'd be talking about younger and healthy people being infected by Covid and isolating the elderly and those with co-morbidities. About 75% of the Irish population are under 55. So about 3.75 million. Now about 3.6% of under 55 who are infected will require hospitalisation (the math on that is a bit sketchy, it's from this paper https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.04.23.20076042v1.full.pdf but could do with being updated). Now 17% of hospital admissions need an ICU bed so 17% of 3.6% = 0.6%. So 0.6% of people will need an ICU bed if we only infect under 55s. There's currently 400 odd ICU beds in Ireland. Say we keep 100 for non-covid cases. That leaves 300 ICU beds. Average ICU stay is 7 days. So we can infect 50,000 people weekly with out maxing out ICU capacity if we only infect the under 55s.

GetOverTheBar

Away to hospital, but looks grand on his twitter video.