China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

five points

Quote from: Jeepers Creepers on September 02, 2020, 10:52:56 AM
The amount of people I now meet who couldn't give a flying fudge about Covid is frightening.

Or reassuring.

thebigfella

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on September 02, 2020, 10:39:05 AM
Quote from: armaghniac on September 01, 2020, 10:42:34 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on September 01, 2020, 08:45:59 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on September 01, 2020, 04:45:54 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on September 01, 2020, 04:25:28 PM
I think in general people are starting to get peeved with the negativity and scaremongering in the reporting here. Even small numbers of increases in hospitals are causing hysterical headlines. Granted we don't want any more in hospital at all and need to stop the exponential growth but to suggest that 8 in a week has the whole country f**ked is a touch overboard to say the least.

Most journalists wholly innumerate in general and much of their readership is even worse, hence the crap reporting.
The situation is not in a crisis, but growing numbers each week and an R > 1 make it problematic down the line. Remember that hospitalisation and deaths grew for a full month after lockdown in March, this thing is like driving an ship, you cannot slam on the brakes. They probably reckon that schools and especially universities opening will inevitably boost the figures and so didn't want things to be already growing before these opened. Some people do not want this detail and can only be reached by headlines.
And in this country hospitals were always flat out in winter anyway, it is easy to say that you are only adding just a few more but that is the few that puts things over the top.

No it's not in crisis at present but it is portrayed all the time as being one.

Yeah health service north and south are fragile so imperative we do what we can to not overload but too much scaremongering not the answer. I guess it's just very difficult to find that balance but the media is something it is just very hard to have much faith in these days.

206 people on trolleys in the 26 counties today, on the 1st of September. And increasing Covid19 numbers means that the next change in restriction is likely to be more not less.
The media are not good on a subtle point, and neither are the public. How many comments do you see something like "how does having a pizza stop Covid", which ignores that fact that there is no doubt that on aggregate restaurants are safer than pubs.

I would say that is more exasperation at the ridiculous byways and rules that have popped up recently as opposed to the scientific facts in fairness.

So one I experienced this morning, timeslot to leave the child to school....lady left the kid in slightly early as she had to be in a different town 10 mins later for 0900 start. Think she was 5 mins early for her allocated slot.

Headteacher comes out and reads the riot act. That is not common sense. This is the kind of thing that turns people against these recommendations/rules etc.

I'm assuming this lady knew the rules and had adequate time to make alternative arrangements, so why couldn't she just start 10mins later which would have been the sensible thing?

Head teacher right in this case, the guidelines and rules need to be applied equally and fairly for everyone without exception, otherwise every parent will be taking this piss or grumbling about exceptions being made.

sid waddell

The amount of people I now meet who couldn't give a flying fudge about Covid is frightening.
It's a product of the framework of right-wing, divide and conquer rhetoric which dominates discourse and which we sadly all exist in

We've been told for decades that any sort of social solidarity is bad, and that we should be good little "individuals", who should only "rationally" maximise our own personal utility

Trade unions are vilified, people on welfare are denigrated as "spongers", collective protest on things like the climate crisis and housing are consistently ridiculed while far right narratives are amplified and given a respect they are not remotely due, society is artificially divided up into neat little sections which right-wing media constantly play off against each other in order to create anger and division, and to stifle opposition

Therefore it's not surprising that many people don't give a toss about others

It's the way they've been trained

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: thebigfella on September 02, 2020, 11:13:59 AM
I think in general people are starting to get peeved with the negativity and scaremongering in the reporting here. Even small numbers of increases in hospitals are causing hysterical headlines. Granted we don't want any more in hospital at all and need to stop the exponential growth but to suggest that 8 in a week has the whole country f**ked is a touch overboard to say the least.

Most journalists wholly innumerate in general and much of their readership is even worse, hence the crap reporting.
The situation is not in a crisis, but growing numbers each week and an R > 1 make it problematic down the line. Remember that hospitalisation and deaths grew for a full month after lockdown in March, this thing is like driving an ship, you cannot slam on the brakes. They probably reckon that schools and especially universities opening will inevitably boost the figures and so didn't want things to be already growing before these opened. Some people do not want this detail and can only be reached by headlines.
And in this country hospitals were always flat out in winter anyway, it is easy to say that you are only adding just a few more but that is the few that puts things over the top.

Yeah health service north and south are fragile so imperative we do what we can to not overload but too much scaremongering not the answer. I guess it's just very difficult to find that balance but the media is something it is just very hard to have much faith in these days.

206 people on trolleys in the 26 counties today, on the 1st of September. And increasing Covid19 numbers means that the next change in restriction is likely to be more not less.
The media are not good on a subtle point, and neither are the public. How many comments do you see something like "how does having a pizza stop Covid", which ignores that fact that there is no doubt that on aggregate restaurants are safer than pubs.

I would say that is more exasperation at the ridiculous byways and rules that have popped up recently as opposed to the scientific facts in fairness.

So one I experienced this morning, timeslot to leave the child to school....lady left the kid in slightly early as she had to be in a different town 10 mins later for 0900 start. Think she was 5 mins early for her allocated slot.

Headteacher comes out and reads the riot act. That is not common sense. This is the kind of thing that turns people against these recommendations/rules etc.

I'm assuming this lady knew the rules and had adequate time to make alternative arrangements, so why couldn't she just start 10mins later which would have been the sensible thing?

Head teacher right in this case, the guidelines and rules need to be applied equally and fairly for everyone without exception, otherwise every parent will be taking this piss or grumbling about exceptions being made.

Sorry but that is nonsense. Not everyone has the ability to change things or goodwill of their employers no matter how much notice they have due to their individual circumstances.

Common sense should prevail in every instance here. Everyone is trying their best in an imperfect situation but to give off stink about dropping a child off 5 mins early? So basically, and this is my original point, she now just leaves the child 5 mins early to school and has her stand round the corner until her slot. God forbid...but can you imagine if something happened in that instance?

Furthermore, the children were all standing outside in the pouring rain until they were signed in.

imtommygunn

Quote from: sid waddell on September 02, 2020, 11:23:28 AM
It's a product of the framework of right-wing, divide and conquer rhetoric which dominates discourse and which we sadly all exist in

We've been told for decades that any sort of social solidarity is bad, and that we should be good little "individuals", who should only "rationally" maximise our own personal utility

Trade unions are vilified, people on welfare are denigrated as "spongers", collective protest on things like the climate crisis and housing are consistently ridiculed while far right narratives are amplified and given a respect they are not remotely due, society is artificially divided up into neat little sections which right-wing media constantly play off against each other in order to create anger and division, and to stifle opposition

You're overthinking this. It's because of the I'm alright jack mentality.

trueblue1234

Quote from: imtommygunn on September 02, 2020, 11:29:33 AM

Absolutely. Its a self entitlement issue and affects all sides unfortunately.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

sid waddell

Quote from: imtommygunn on September 02, 2020, 11:29:33 AM

The I'm Alright, Jack mentality is a product of right wing, divide and conquer rhetoric

The logical corollary of the I'm Alright, Jack mentality is the "why should I accept any inconvenience for the good of society?" mentality

imtommygunn

Or people are in general just selfish?

five points

Oddly enough, lockdown, cuts to public services and spikes in unemployment and business closures hurt the jobless and the vulnerable far more than they do the rich and powerful.

But selfishness, self-entitlement and far-right narratives.

thebigfella

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on September 02, 2020, 11:25:03 AM

Sorry but that is nonsense. Not everyone has the ability to change things or goodwill of their employers no matter how much notice they have due to their individual circumstances.

Common sense should prevail in every instance here. Everyone is trying their best in an imperfect situation but to give off stink about dropping a child off 5 mins early? So basically, and this is my original point, she now just leaves the child 5 mins early to school and has her stand round the corner until her slot. God forbid...but can you imagine if something happened in that instance?

Furthermore, the children were all standing outside in the pouring rain until they were signed in.

It isn't nonsense, the head teacher or schools don't set the rules/guidelines. It is an imperfect situation for everyone but if common sense was applied then your employer lets you start work 10 mins later (or you make alternative arraignments) and not put the school in that situation. I feel for the head teacher in this case as if they let this woman just rock up and do something different, the bitching and grumbling will be unbearable from other parents. It harsh on the lady but she knew the rules and I suspect an example was made of her.

Further it is her (or her partner's) responsibility to ensure that child makes it to school safely at the designated time. If that woman chooses to leave he child alone around a corner and something happens to them, that is with her and her alone.

sid waddell

Quote from: five points on September 02, 2020, 12:25:01 PM
Oddly enough, lockdown, cuts to public services and spikes in unemployment and business closures hurt the jobless and the vulnerable far more than they do the rich and powerful.

But selfishness, self-entitlement and far-right narratives.
This here is the guy who wanted everything to carry on as normal

The guy whose whole mindset was to pretend that the pandemic didn't exist

La la land stuff

thewobbler

Oh look, Sid is back. And one again, he's not answering questions or engaging in conversation. That would only get in the way of his attempt to include  "fascism" and "right wing" in every thread on every message board in the world.

Definitely a robot.

Rudi

Quote from: thewobbler on September 02, 2020, 12:50:57 PM
Oh look, Sid is back. And one again, he's not answering questions or engaging in conversation. That would only get in the way of his attempt to include  "fascism" and "right wing" in every thread on every message board in the world.

Definitely a robot.

Hard to know if he's hard left or loony left, best ignored. Pretending he cares is a good one though, constant hate speech & bottomless bile.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: thebigfella on September 02, 2020, 12:40:09 PM
Quote from: GetOverTheBar on September 02, 2020, 11:25:03 AM

It isn't nonsense, the head teacher or schools don't set the rules/guidelines. It is an imperfect situation for everyone but if common sense was applied then your employer lets you start work 10 mins later (or you make alternative arraignments) and not put the school in that situation. I feel for the head teacher in this case as if they let this woman just rock up and do something different, the bitching and grumbling will be unbearable from other parents. It harsh on the lady but she knew the rules and I suspect an example was made of her.

Further it is her (or her partner's) responsibility to ensure that child makes it to school safely at the designated time. If that woman chooses to leave he child alone around a corner and something happens to them, that is with her and her alone.

Single parent? Then what? So you see it's not ideal for all....as it never would be. I mean it's not my own circumstances so I can profess to know the ins and outs but you must admit that not everyone can rigidly adhere to a set slot for school drops v trying to make a living in this mess?

I get your points, but to me this is just another example of nonsensical policy brought in so there can be no blow back legally to certain institutions, rather than actual, helpful guidelines. This is the type of thing that turns people against the policies and I think will contribute to an even greater full of disobedience going forward (should things stay as is).

sid waddell

Quote from: thewobbler on September 02, 2020, 12:50:57 PM

Definitely a robot.
Oh look, the forum's biggest thundering gobshite is back

A tough morning spent looking at Spiked Online or Guido Fawkes for blowhard gobshitery to copy and paste, no doubt