China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

I'm surprised there hasn't been more talk about NZ here. It's very interesting and I don't know if there have been developments to work out where these people got it from as they weren't traveling. I think working that out will definitely work out some unknowns with the whole thing. e.g. are there way more of us have it / have had it than we even know? How long can someone be asymptomatic for and still spread it? If the cases were 102 days apart then there are a number of possibilities I guess - it's been rattling round people asymptomatically for that period of time or someone can have it for a lot longer than the 14 days and still spread it.

highorlow

In NZ they think it was imported on frozen food products. It's a mystery, it's probable that they never got rid of it in NZ in the first place, just people had it with little or no symptoms. 6% of English appear to have had this already. If your siding with Micheal Levitt, which I'm tending to do, then the English will have herd immunity soon. The Swedes probably will have before the English and will avoid a second wave as they went for a smart lockdown.

I'd like to see stats where this is having long lasting implications on people, especially those with apparent no underlying symptoms. Is it 1 in a million or 1 in a hundred? The ones we here about make it to sky news and the papers but I'd like to know what the odds are / the overall risk.

They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

imtommygunn

Yeah the reality is we can't trust the crap we hear on the news these days :( I know of one person who has had follow up heart issues and a few struggling for a long time to recover energy / lung capacity wise but then I know a few where nothing came of it. Who knows these days.

I hadn't heard the frozen food thing.

Jeepers Creepers

If there are that many who are asymptomatic then surely the estimate of only 5% of the population having covid in European countries is abit low?

imtommygunn

Yeah if. I guess we don't know.

armaghniac

Quote from: highorlow on August 13, 2020, 09:00:12 AM
In NZ they think it was imported on frozen food products. It's a mystery, it's probable that they never got rid of it in NZ in the first place, just people had it with little or no symptoms. 6% of English appear to have had this already. If your siding with Micheal Levitt, which I'm tending to do, then the English will have herd immunity soon. The Swedes probably will have before the English and will avoid a second wave as they went for a smart lockdown.

I'd like to see stats where this is having long lasting implications on people, especially those with apparent no underlying symptoms. Is it 1 in a million or 1 in a hundred? The ones we here about make it to sky news and the papers but I'd like to know what the odds are / the overall risk.

If 6% of English have had it, even assuming that gives you immunity, then you need 60% for herd immunity. It took 6 months to get to 6% and 40,000 died, you have a slower rate now and you would get herd immunity in 2025. A vaccine is the the way to immunity.

Quote from: Jeepers Creepers on August 13, 2020, 09:33:32 AM
If there are that many who are asymptomatic then surely the estimate of only 5% of the population having covid in European countries is abit low?

In Spain 1% of people have been tested positive, add in a whack of asymptomatic cases and you still end up not much over 5%. Other countries have been less affected than Spain.

We started this with 100% of people who never had it, we now have 95% have never had it, it isn't that different.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: ONeill on August 12, 2020, 05:50:46 PM
Can anyone give me a good clear explanation of the difference between mandatory and compulsory?

I've read about 20 there and the head is pickled.

It's an age thing.

I'd say mandatory is a requirement (from law or elsewhere) but compulsory is something that you must have.

For example, if you are going fishing a licence or permit may be mandatory but a rod would be compulsory. I think
Hasta la victoria siempre

Crete Boom

Sure won't England get to herd immunity quicker since they have a traveller population as well as muslims where as Sweden only has a muslim population? ::) ::)

johnnycool

Quote from: Crete Boom on August 13, 2020, 10:28:19 AM

Sure won't England get to herd immunity quicker since they have a traveller population as well as muslims where as Sweden only has a muslim population? ::) ::)

I still can't see where anyone involved in this thing has said herd immunity is a thing as they still weren't sure that if you got it, asymptomatic or not that you couldn't get it again.

lenny

Around 1 in 10 get the long haul Covid and it's not known if they'll ever recover. You think England is close to herd immunity with only 6% having had it at this stage? You're having a laugh. There are also now quite a few reports around the world of people becoming reinfected 3 months after receiving the all clear. That suggests that antibodies against this virus have a short shelf life which makes herd immunity, through getting enough people infected, a pipe dream. This is going to be with us for a long time. A vaccine will definitely be a big help but most experts seem to be in agreement that it will most likely only be partially effective.

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: highorlow on August 13, 2020, 07:58:05 AM
It's hard now to believe any experts on this as there was a very large cohort of eminent professors and doctors who called for full elimination in Ireland and actually wanted to shut down boarders here, they pointed to New Zealand as an example, the media should get back to these people and get their updated opinion on full elimination.

They are correct to call for shutting down the borders etc.

Do you think the virus swam here itself in the first place? Or did it rent a yacht and sail it across the Irish sea?

Yes, NZ have had a single flare up - how hard do you think it is for NZ authorities to try and contain one single flare up across the entire country compared to Ireland where there are several with numerous cases of unknown transmission?
i usse an speelchekor

sid waddell

I'm not sure why on earth anybody would "side" with an obvious self-promoter who has been confidently telling everybody that Covid would "burn out" within two weeks. Well over three months ago.

Britain went with their so called "herd immunity" "strategy" to protect their economy. They have taken the worst economic hit of any of the G7 members.

And there's nothing to suggest they or Sweden are remotely close to herd immunity.

sid waddell

90% of workers in the meat processing sector in Ireland get no sick pay.

Can't see how that would present a problem as regards Covid, can't see it at all, noooo siree.

Capitalism, f**k yeah.

highorlow

QuoteThey are correct to call for shutting down the borders etc.

Do you think the virus swam here itself in the first place? Or did it rent a yacht and sail it across the Irish sea?

Yes, NZ have had a single flare up - how hard do you think it is for NZ authorities to try and contain one single flare up across the entire country compared to Ireland where there are several with numerous cases of unknown transmission?

Did it swim back into NZ?
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

armaghniac

Quote from: lenny on August 13, 2020, 10:49:38 AM
Around 1 in 10 get the long haul Covid and it's not known if they'll ever recover. You think England is close to herd immunity with only 6% having had it at this stage? You're having a laugh. There are also now quite a few reports around the world of people becoming reinfected 3 months after receiving the all clear. That suggests that antibodies against this virus have a short shelf life which makes herd immunity, through getting enough people infected, a pipe dream. This is going to be with us for a long time. A vaccine will definitely be a big help but most experts seem to be in agreement that it will most likely only be partially effective.

I don't believe there has been a proven reinfection report.
However, the jury is out on the vaccine. There is every chance that the vaccine provides longer immunity than a low symptom infection, if only because the vaccine sets out to activate the immune system while the full virus hides from the immune system. Even if you have to get a Covid vaccine in your flu jab each year, I'll still take that.

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B