China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GetOverTheBar

That's a bit sad really though, gutter press. I mean if she goes on holidays, does everything right, what's the problem?

I'd much rather they held the Politicians up North accountable for their repeated political failings as opposed to a woman away to get her head showered.

johnnycool

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 20, 2020, 02:02:21 PM
Paula Bradshaw from the Green Party (up north) taking some flak today. She was going to go on her Italian holiday until the media got hold of it now obviously was never going to go lol.

The holier than though Alliance getting a bit of flack for once..

imtommygunn

Oops alliance of course. Yeah I like them mostly but there's the odd thing they do I am not too sure of. This would be one of them.

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 20, 2020, 02:02:21 PM
Paula Bradshaw from the Green Party (up north) taking some flak today. She was going to go on her Italian holiday until the media got hold of it now obviously was never going to go lol.

Well done the media. Bunch of f**kwits going on about it now when the horse has bolted, foaled, been loaded onto the back of a lorry, through a meat factory and on someones dinner plate.

Why were they not up in arms about the govt continuing to allow schools to go on skiing holidays to Italy in March?  ::) Wankers.

[BTW - of course she shouldn't go - international travel should be shutdown at the moment - do the idiots think that the coronavirus paddled its own canoe across the Irish sea to get here to start with?]
i usse an speelchekor

Dire Ear

Any news on pubs in the north opening?? Ordinary pubs ,  not where you have to buy a crap burger to stay...

Main Street

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 19, 2020, 05:29:39 PM
Question on testing and quarantining

If you are in a country that requires you to isolate for 14 days when you come back, can you not have a test, let's say 4 days when you're back. Would it not tell you whether you have it or not? Or is it because you need 14 days for it to develop?
What's the procedure when you return to Belfast from such a country? Don't you fill out a form on arrival giving details and enter into a volutary quarantine?
In theory if you had testing (sub-contracted but subsidised) at the airport with results inside an hour, test negative,  then you enter into quarantine for 4 or 5 days and have a follow up test, when that comes in negative, you should be 99.999% good to go. But in the UK and Ireland,  results take an age to come back. 

Milltown Row2

Let's say you fly back from the USA, you quarantine for 14 days, the reason for quarantining that length of time is why?

Does the time of catching it and a positive result not show for 14 days?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 20, 2020, 11:22:01 PM

Let's say you fly back from the USA, you quarantine for 14 days, the reason for quarantining that length of time is why?

14 days is a bit longer than the average time it takes for symptoms to show (assuming you do show symptoms).

If you have a test, it should show a positive earlier than that - not sure how much earlier.

As usual, the govt have hacked it together out of various bits of information without really understanding what it means, what they are doing and what they are trying to achieve.

There probably should be two options for quarantine:
(1) Quarantine for 14 days if you don't get a test.
(2) Quarantine for 7* days then after a false test you are free to go.

*7 days may be adjusted depending on confidence in test picking up a firm result after X days from infection.

But again, as I said before - far easier to keep the airports shut for a few months and ride this out with a functioning internal economy than to try and be too cute and end up needing more lockdowns.
i usse an speelchekor

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: Dire Ear on July 20, 2020, 04:44:07 PM
Any news on pubs in the north opening?? Ordinary pubs ,  not where you have to buy a crap burger to stay...

Not sure what bars you go to but majority of menus are for show.

LeoMc

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 20, 2020, 11:22:01 PM

I think the early information was that symptoms would not show for 5-14 days after transmission.

armaghniac

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on July 21, 2020, 10:01:30 AM

Both sides of the border they need to close any pubs acting the maggot.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: armaghniac on July 21, 2020, 11:03:06 AM
Quote from: GetOverTheBar on July 21, 2020, 10:01:30 AM

Both sides of the border they need to close any pubs acting the maggot.

Fair enough, but it's either do it half regulated, or see the rise of forest raves or drinking shebeens. I prefer the former.

five points

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on July 20, 2020, 11:40:26 PM

But again, as I said before - far easier to keep the airports shut for a few months and ride this out with a functioning internal economy than to try and be too cute and end up needing more lockdowns.

You can't have a functioning internal economy if the airports are shut.

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: five points on July 21, 2020, 11:25:06 AM
Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on July 20, 2020, 11:40:26 PM

You can't have a functioning internal economy if the airports are shut.

Of course you can.

Outside of tourism & commercial aerospace, any industry that cannot operate on tele/video calls or things like skype, slack or similar in this day and age need their heads examined.

Tourism? Well, if people cannot leave the country and want a holiday, then they have to holiday on the island.

Now, aerospace as I know firsthand will effectively be shuttered - but that comprises what percentage of the population and economy? Closing it for 12 months is minor compared to another lockdown lasting just a week or two.
i usse an speelchekor