Smurfy123

Punishment for going to school?
No
It's where our children should be

joemamas

Quote from: Smurfy123 on June 04, 2020, 01:42:37 PM
Agree about opening the economy and schools ASAP
Why do so many on here not get it
All the beaches and streets packed this 2 weeks would have been much smaller if children were in school. Take last Wednesday in Warrenpoint for example it was packed if those kids were in school wouldn't happen
If people were back working and shopping it takes crowds away from the one spot.
Spread the crowds out
Austria with a population of 9million eased lockdown April 10th. 6 new cases today
New Zealand allowing fans into stadiums from next week
Social distancing is key in all this. So important along with washing your hands

Agree with above, most European countries have been back for a month or more.

Spoke with a good friend who is a national school teacher, he thinks that at this stage it is silly that there is not timeline to return.

Not living in Ireland, I asked him why was this the case.
He had two answers,

Caretaker government and an incoming opposition that does not want to make a decision that could cause another General election.

Lowest levels of ICU beds in Europe, forced the Government to take such harsh measures in the first place.

Somewhat simplistic maybe.

IMO if they don't open the county and relax the social distancing laws, the amount of small businesses, and hotels and Bars that will never open again, has the potential to cause high unemployment for many years to come

tbrick18

Quote from: 6th sam on June 04, 2020, 01:54:56 PM
Quote from: trailer on June 04, 2020, 01:21:13 PM
Quote from: Taylor on June 04, 2020, 01:17:18 PM
Quote from: trailer on June 04, 2020, 01:14:14 PM
Quote from: Taylor on June 04, 2020, 01:03:06 PM
Quote from: trailer on June 04, 2020, 01:01:03 PM
This is solely a disease of the over 70s and those with people underlying health conditions.

Open the economy.
Open the Schools.
Get back to work.

If ever there was an example that the game is up it is Belfast and London yesterday, same people probably called for the lockdown initially. Professional protesters I'd call them. I've also been in Monaghan a few times this week and it was busy. Scenes of beauty spots and beaches crammed.

While I agree it looks like lockdown has come to an end to due peoples behaviour your first line is completely incorrect trailer

It is 100% right, the number of deaths under 70 is tiny. The amount of deaths outside of the care home population is less than 50% for christ sake!

So you have just contradicted yourself - it is solely a disease of over 70's and then number of deaths under 70 is tiny.
Which is it?

f**k me. It's almost solely then. Talk about missing the point.

Not sure who is "missing the point".

The real risk of this disease is sheer weight of numbers. I agree that percentage of death under 70 is small, but the higher the overall numbers, then the higher the Number of deaths overall including in under 70s. I
Failure to recognise this simple mathematical equation is why UK's response to the virus has been catastrophic.

Also , statistics around chronological age have to be put in context . Most over 70s that I know live fulfilling happy productive lives, and their loss would be enormous to their families and society. Similarly for those with "underlying disease ". However it appears that the vast majority of deaths are amongst the most frail, many of whom have already "do not resuscitate" requests in place. For these vulnerable people  , their priority is keeping comfortable, as opposed to keeping alive. For some reason this very important fact seems to be ignored by politicians and the media .
Any "opening up" has to be cautious and include continued awareness around hygiene and distancing , but especially testing and tracing to ensure we don't see another escalation in numbers.
Numbers are now getting so low , that testing those small numbers with viral symptoms , and early detection of new infections, should allow society to return to near normal when the time is right. In terms of health , I fear the risk of the virus has now been surpassed by the health risk of lockdown( diseases of inactivity/isolation/poverty, and delayed diagnosis/treatment of other diseases such as cancer and heart disease) So the sooner we open up, as safely as possible, the better.

I'll start by saying that we all want out of lock down, we all want our kids safely back at school and we want to be able to get back to a sense of normality. I personally think we are rushing things too much and are coming out of lock down too quickly without allowing enough time between the easing of measures and the length of time taken to judge the impact of that easing.

The fact that beaches were packed is not an argument to come out of lock down. It just shows the complete disregard some people have for the health and safety of others.  We wont know the impact of those packed beaches for 2/3 weeks. It could be enough to put the R number above 1 again and then we are all back in lock down as a result of these idiots. I've been speaking to a few people recently who think its great that its all over. I hope they are right, but we are on a knife edge.
Taking kids away from one packed location to put them into another packed location in school doesn't seem to very beneficial for me, at least not in terms of preventing the spread.

I absolutely disagree that this is a disease of the over 70s. I know 2 people who have died from Covid. One a lady in her 70s with underlying issues. One a lady in her 50s with no underlying issues.
The point was made earlier about over 50% of deaths here being in care homes, which is 100% correct. However, care homes by their nature are a small ecosystem of their own and so those figures and percentages need to be put into context. Care homes are a localised environment where all residents are in close contact and social distancing isn't always possible. Lack of PPE in care homes and a lack of proper strategy for care homes all contributed to care home deaths being so inflated and not necessarily because over 70s are only affected. All of these other circumstance exacerbated the problem. Hypothetically, if all care home residents lived in private accommodation like the rest of us, fewer could have been infected and fewer would have died. So the percentage of over 70s dying would have been much lower and the percentage of under 70s much higher.
We can't make a direct comparison between deaths in care homes and deaths in the rest of the population as the social environments we all find ourselves in are vastly different.
Its the type of comparison the tories are making to make people feel more comfortable.

With any disease, those people with other conditions are more likely to succumb to the cumulative effects and it is more likely that the over 70s have other conditions than the under 70s but that's all.

Rossfan

Saw on last nights News a 58 year old woman from Louth home after a serious dose of the Covid.
Spent 10 days in an induced coma in ICU as part of the "cure".
The coma was to allow them put her lying face down 16 hours a day to get oxygen to the front of her lungs.
Do the Smurfys or Trailers ever think of her and how many more had to go through the same process?

I'm all for getting things  "opened up" but slowly, steadily and SAFELY.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

tbrick18

Quote from: Rossfan on June 04, 2020, 04:06:43 PM
Saw on last nights News a 58 year old woman from Louth home after a serious dose of the Covid.
Spent 10 days in an induced coma in ICU as part of the "cure".
The coma was to allow them put her lying face down 16 hours a day to get oxygen to the front of her lungs.
Do the Smurfys or Trailers ever think of her and how many more had to go through the same process?

I'm all for getting things  "opened up" but slowly, steadily and SAFELY.

Spot on.
If we take our time and do it right, we are more likely to stay opened up and on top of this virus.
Otherwise we are just kicking the can down the road until the next lock down and even more deaths.

Franko

As has been shown here many, many times, the Smurfs and Trailers of this world don't bother much with the oul thinking.

Smurfy123

Brick what do you say of all the other European countries opening up quicker and no spike? They are leaving 2 weeks instead of 3
I do think of the poor people who have been affected by Covid. I absolutely feel for each and every one of those people.
Being to cautious will effectively close businesses which effectively will cause death also. I am not saying to open all up just speed things up.

imtommygunn

There was a fairly high profile boy in antrim gaa at mid 40s was in the induced coma too. It is less likely to happen at the lower ages yes but you still would never know.

Brick your post above was spot on IMO.

We are going the right direction but there are still LOTS of restrictions in place even if lockdown has been eased so the thing needs phased like they're doing.

Even if there are elements breaching lockdown I would still imagine a high percentage of people aren't. The internet can be both a curse and a blessing and what tends to happen is that a few places have photos taken of them and then it is assumed everyone is behaving like that. Sometimes you can't even be sure if the photos are current though I think crawsfordburn for example is legit and obviously those BLM matters protests in the likes of belfast.

Kidder81

See Spain's reporting of deaths has been declared absolute nonsense, further evidence, if any was needed at this stage, of the futility of comparing countries death rates

Taylor

This is solely a disease of the over 70s and those with people underlying health conditions.

Open the economy.
Open the Schools.
Get back to work.

If ever there was an example that the game is up it is Belfast and London yesterday, same people probably called for the lockdown initially. Professional protesters I'd call them. I've also been in Monaghan a few times this week and it was busy. Scenes of beauty spots and beaches crammed.

While I agree it looks like lockdown has come to an end to due peoples behaviour your first line is completely incorrect trailer

It is 100% right, the number of deaths under 70 is tiny. The amount of deaths outside of the care home population is less than 50% for christ sake!

So you have just contradicted yourself - it is solely a disease of over 70's and then number of deaths under 70 is tiny.
Which is it?

Im missing the point?

You are posting something that is completely incorrect and then twist it around to say its me?   ;D ;D

five points

Quote from: Taylor on June 04, 2020, 04:28:55 PM

Open the economy.
Open the Schools.
Get back to work.

Which is it?

Im missing the point?

You are posting something that is completely incorrect and then twist it around to say its me?   ;D ;D

Its only completely incorrect in the realms of pedantry. He should have said "almost solely" but this is not a court of law and I got his meaning first time around.

Rossfan

If I say "solely" it takes some leap to "know" I meant mostly......
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Smurfy123

More good news in the South
Thursday briefing numbers dropping rapidly
R number still below 0.7
They are finding it harder to estimate the R number as cases are to low
Phase 2 gets the go ahead and some of phase 3 may be added details to follow tomorrow

laoislad

Penny's opening back up on Monday,  the women will be happy
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Smurfy123

Debenhams also reopening in newry