China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: trailer on May 19, 2020, 01:53:13 PM

You are not listening to anything anyone is saying.

No-one, literally no-one, is saying that the risk to kids themselves are not lower than the rest of the population.

However, the risk to adults that are in contact with the kids is not reduced.

Until there is clear evidence that kids are not transmitting - and clear evidence is more than a vague statement somewhere without several peer-reviewed studies to back it up - then opening schools is a high risk decision as they can easily become transmission centres.

Well if they can't open the schools and teachers refuse (which is their right) then make them redundant and close schools permanently until a vaccine is found. Because only a fool thinks things are changing between now and September or whatever arbitrary date in the future.

Aye that's it, of all the daft things you've have said on this thread this is the best.

Close the schools: schools are currently open for parents of key workers, so let's say a parent is a nurse and they have kids, stay with me, then they can avail of sending their kids, still with me? To the school for them to carry on! Now do you know of anyone that has a nurse working and has kids that use this?

Make redundant the teachers: brilliant so pay off the teachers some of who, like a lot of employees in other jobs would take redundancy if they have worked about 25+ years and try their hand at something else, the expenditure on that would be huge. Now when the schools get back, who is going to fill those roles? Hmmmm, inexperienced new teachers though with a year losing out on training that will be hard to fix.

And who are these teachers that refuse to go back in, I know off hand about 20 teachers who are busting to get back! The principals what them back but only if it's safe for his staff.

Why have you furloughed your staff? Was it to keep them safe? Or did you just want to get 80% pay from the government?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Taylor

Serious question trailer - do you accept that even if the risk to kids is minuscule - the risk of kids spreading it to teachers or the vulnerable/elderly is much much higher

Smurfy123

More confirmed Covid cases in France on November 16. What's going on

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: Smurfy123 on May 19, 2020, 02:19:51 PM
More confirmed Covid cases in France on November 16. What's going on

Source?

Massive, if true.

imtommygunn

https://newseu.cgtn.com/news/2020-05-11/Was-there-COVID-19-in-France-last-November--QpD871eNhu/index.html

This is the first time I've went looking for a source to something which is said here and it actually has existed ;D

Smurfy123

I would say that's why it's so extreme in Italy France Spain and the UK
Many more had it and it just hit those European countries all in one. Massive hit and hospitals just couldn't cope.

tbrick18

Quote from: imtommygunn on May 19, 2020, 02:28:59 PM
https://newseu.cgtn.com/news/2020-05-11/Was-there-COVID-19-in-France-last-November--QpD871eNhu/index.html

This is the first time I've went looking for a source to something which is said here and not given and it actually has existed ;D

I'd heard about this but hadn't seen anything official.
If true, I wonder does this cast doubt as the source of the pandemic? What if it started in France and someone from there travelled to China?
Has to be a possibility if patient 0 is no longer Chinese surely????

The plot thickens.

RadioGAAGAA

This is the first time I've went looking for a source to something which is said here and not given and it actually has existed ;D

Its interesting all right.

Does that mean the virus mutated in Wuhan and then came back?

There is absolutely no way that the pneumonia cases that were evident in March & April could have been replicated though December without anyone noticing. Even moreso in January when the world was on lookout for it. When you consider the spike in death rates compared to the average and the strain on ICUs this would have put, its simply not feasible that its all of (i) the same strain of virus, (ii) been prevalent since sometime in November and (iii) been freely transmitting through the population, without there being red flags raised.

Here is the original work without journalist "interpretation":

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0924857920301643?via%3Dihub

I suppose it is possible by astronomical fluke there is another common coronavirus in the wild that has the same 3 genes that are targetted in the test. But that's unlikely.
i usse an speelchekor

APM

Could it be a problem with the test?

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: APM on May 19, 2020, 03:26:31 PM
Could it be a problem with the test?

The link I included does have a section noting how the test could have went awry. Odds are against, but not impossible.
i usse an speelchekor

johnnycool

Trump will have a coronary (if not from hydroxychloroquine) if he finds out this thing originated in France and not Chiy Na.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on May 19, 2020, 03:25:10 PM

Its interesting all right.

Does that mean the virus mutated in Wuhan and then came back?

There is absolutely no way that the pneumonia cases that were evident in March & April could have been replicated though December without anyone noticing. Even moreso in January when the world was on lookout for it. When you consider the spike in death rates compared to the average and the strain on ICUs this would have put, its simply not feasible that its all of (i) the same strain of virus, (ii) been prevalent since sometime in November and (iii) been freely transmitting through the population, without there being red flags raised.

Here is the original work without journalist "interpretation":

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0924857920301643?via%3Dihub

I suppose it is possible by astronomical fluke there is another common coronavirus in the wild that has the same 3 genes that are targetted in the test. But that's unlikely.

In retrospect, it's not impossible, if you don't know exactly what you are looking for - from the sciencedirect article you linked. Is there an argument that the medical community....yes, I appreciate it is slim pickings, but have they been caught napping? -

While China was facing the COVID-19 outbreak, European countries were struggling with seasonal influenza [6]. Since clinical symptomatology between COVID-19 and ILIs is similar, we therefore decided to retrospectively look for SARS-CoV-2 in respiratory samples collected in the intensive care unit (ICU) of our hospital near Paris, France.

tbrick18

Quote from: johnnycool on May 19, 2020, 03:40:00 PM
Trump will have a coronary (if not from hydroxychloroquine) if he finds out this thing originated in France and not Chiy Na.

no it will just be cast off as fake news.
Trump is never wrong. The American equivalent of Kim Jong Un, he's every bit as dangerous.

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on May 19, 2020, 03:44:01 PM
In retrospect, it's not impossible, if you don't know exactly what you are looking for

Consider the one European place we know got completely caught out - Lombardy in Italy.

They literally had overflowing hospitals dedicated almost entirely to treating COVID (or other absolute emergencies).

That happened in Feb/March.

How could that not have happened anywhere else across Europe if it was freely roaming in November/December?
i usse an speelchekor

five points

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on May 19, 2020, 03:47:46 PM
Quote from: GetOverTheBar on May 19, 2020, 03:44:01 PM
In retrospect, it's not impossible, if you don't know exactly what you are looking for

Consider the one European place we know got completely caught out - Lombardy in Italy.

They literally had overflowing hospitals dedicated almost entirely to treating COVID (or other absolute emergencies).

That happened in Feb/March.

How could that not have happened anywhere else across Europe if it was freely roaming in November/December?

Lombardy's hospital crisis was largely self inflicted.

QuoteLombardy, one Europe's wealthiest and most productive areas, has been disproportionately hit by Covid-19. As of March 26, it held the grim record of nearly 35,000 novel coronavirus cases and 5,000 deaths in a population of 10 million. Veneto, by contrast, fared significantly better, with 7,000 cases and 287 deaths in a population of 5 million, despite experiencing sustained community spread early on.

The trajectories of these two regions have been shaped by a multitude of factors outside the control of policymakers, including Lombardy's greater population density and higher number of cases when the crisis erupted. But it's becoming increasingly apparent that different public health choices made early in the cycle of the pandemic also had an impact.

Following the guidance from public health authorities in the central government, Lombardy opted instead for a more conservative approach to testing. On a per capita basis, it has so far conducted half of the tests conducted in Veneto and had a much stronger focus only on symptomatic cases — and has so far made limited investments in proactive tracing, home care and monitoring, and protection of health care workers.

The set of policies enacted in Veneto are thought to have considerably reduced the burden on hospitals and minimized the risk of Covid-19 spreading in medical facilities, a problem that has greatly impacted hospitals in Lombardy.

https://hbr.org/2020/03/lessons-from-italys-response-to-coronavirus