China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trailer

Quote from: hardstation on May 18, 2020, 04:44:06 PM
Quote from: trailer on May 18, 2020, 04:40:48 PM
Quote from: hardstation on May 18, 2020, 04:30:59 PM
Would you expect to see a big increase in that if those kids had been going to school?

Also, you are quoting those figures from so called experts and I'm not believing a single thing they say as they haven't a clue.

It's the government figures. They counted the bodies. I agree it is probably more but the percentages are probably there or thereabouts.
If the government is following the science then I can't see why they wouldn't open schools.
And you are trusting them to "count the bodies" correctly? I don't. The test passing idiots can't get anything right. Following the science you say? You'd be better following a shite down a stream.

And what's your argument? What point would you like to make?
The fact still remains - the risk to children is minuscule - Tiny.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: trailer on May 18, 2020, 04:22:34 PM
The number of children who have died from this is tiny. It is a disease almost exclusively of the over 70s. I know everyone wants to engage in this "we're all going to die apocalypse" but the main risk to older people and those with underlying health conditions. They must of course be protected and proper social distancing measures undertaken for the foreseeable but I think the schools should go back. What will be different in September? Will the virus have gone back to China?

Teachers want to go back ya header, that's not what I'm asking, can a child pass the virus on to a teacher or the bus man or dinner lady or other people within the school who are over the age of 18?

Now answer that one first please? please don't tell me its tiny, just answer it

Teachers are currently teaching at the minute, albeit online, parents that are off with their kids due to their own work being closed are teaching their kids, home schooling and as teaching is a easy touch, there is no one complaining  ::)

Life will always get back to normal, or a new normal and schools will go back in full soon, this time of year is exam time/studying and a lot of kids would have been off anyways at secondary level, going back before September won't really achieve anything, a month and a bit of learning, only for it to be forgotten about come September.

I'm only using September as a date, I'm not saying when it will be deemed safe, that might be when or if the second wave hits, things may change.

With the number being tiny for kids to die from, its a virus that is completely avoidable, would parents be happy enough to put their kids at risk anyways? I know sometimes my teenagers piss me off the odd time but I'm not up to putting them at risk
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

J70

Quote from: hardstation on May 18, 2020, 04:47:20 PM
So the scientists & experts say. My point is that we shouldn't be trusting this information from such people.

So just where would that leave us?

If science and expertise is a waste of time, what should we be relying on to guide policy?

Franko

So the scientists & experts say. My point is that we shouldn't be trusting this information from such people.

;D

Franko

Quote from: J70 on May 18, 2020, 04:55:14 PM

If science and expertise is a waste of time, what should we be relying on to guide policy?

Trailer, Smurfy and wobbler seem to have it well sussed.

I'd say probably them.

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: trailer on May 18, 2020, 04:06:22 PM
The risk to children is minuscule. Proper measures must of course be put in place but they need to reopen schools if they want to get people back to work. Sorry Teachers.

Just on this - you do realise when the schools re-open, at best your gonna get:

- half classes, probably even less as classrooms are not big enough for safe spacing
- half days - no lunch break as not possible to safely feed them so kids will have to go home
- rota of kids in school for partial days and off for intermittent days in the week.

You seem to think schools reopening is some kinda panacea solution for the economy. In the state they'll be able to open in, it'll cause a minor ripple at most.
i usse an speelchekor

J70

Quote from: hardstation on May 18, 2020, 05:10:45 PM

I don't know. Trailer hasn't got as far as telling us yet but for now, just keep ignoring anything that the scientists and so called experts tell us as they are making it up as the go along. They know fcuk all more than anyone else.

Haven't been following too closely and so missed the sarcasm! :)

RadioGAAGAA

You need to read some books for 24 hrs, then you'll know all the answers.

Although you'll have to be very careful who authors the books - as if its written by a scientist or expert who knows what they'd put into it and your back to square one.  ;D ;D ;D
i usse an speelchekor

Maroon Manc

Schools have been back open in numerous countries for a few weeks, anyone know has this led to an increase in cases in kids?

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: Maroon Manc on May 18, 2020, 05:20:22 PM
Schools have been back open in numerous countries for a few weeks, anyone know has this led to an increase in cases in kids?

Kids are much more likely to be asymptomatic.

But in saying that, so far it seems to have went quite well - with the obvious large caveat that its too early to draw strong conclusions:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/18/french-minister-tells-of-risks-of-missing-school-as-more-pupils-return-covid-19

But this is the danger:
https://www.expressandstar.com/news/world-news/2020/05/18/70-cases-of-covid-19-linked-to-french-schools-days-after-reopening/

Note with timelines, they had it before schools reopened, but the risk is they spread it quickly in the school.

edit: Its the likes of Germany & Korea I am looking to - they have large testing & tracing systems set up and evidently working. The trends and statistics coming back from these two will go along way in shaping my opinion on what should (and should not) be done. The UK by comparison are a laughing stock - they have, and will continue to have, no fukking idea what relaxation of measures are doing until people start walking in the doors of A&E in big numbers - by which point its 2-3 weeks too late to fix the misstep.
i usse an speelchekor

Square Ball

Chaos as eight schools in European city forced to close after child catches coronavirus
Eight schools in a French city have closed after a child tested positive for Coronavirus.

Schools only began reopening in France last week, but seven public institutions and one private school in Roubaix closed on Monday morning.

The decision was made after one child in a reception class contracted Covid-19.

France reopened around 40,000 schools last week, with classes capped at 15 students
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Maroon Manc on May 18, 2020, 05:20:22 PM

It's not about kids getting it, they are, but evidence has shown that on many cases it's a mild illness, it's whether the pass it on.

The expert on the BBC there now danced around that question he'd loads of data on kids and illness but funny enough not enough data to show if kids can pass it on to adults.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

RadioGAAGAA

Shows promise.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/05/18/health/coronavirus-vaccine-moderna-early-results/index.html

Not the end, *probably* not the beginning of the end just yet, but hopeful nonetheless.
i usse an speelchekor

Jim Bob

Quote from: five points on May 18, 2020, 10:54:44 AM
That's ok, and thank you. He should indeed let it go.

Agreed!!! We all have said things we later regretted. You've apologised. That should be the end of the matter IMO

armaghniac

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on May 18, 2020, 05:56:58 PM
Shows promise.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/05/18/health/coronavirus-vaccine-moderna-early-results/index.html

Not the end, *probably* not the beginning of the end just yet, but hopeful nonetheless.

This kind of thing is promising, especially as there are several horses in the vaccine race and while some will fall at a hurdle, some might finish.

Also the numbers for most places are improved, except perhaps Brazil, only 4 deaths in ROI reported today and 88 cases. If people don't act the maggot now that some extra things are opened then we might be in a remission phase.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B