China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bennydorano

Quote from: HiMucker on May 16, 2020, 05:06:13 PM
Quote from: Itchy on May 16, 2020, 02:31:33 PM
In the Bundesliga on tv at moment, players on field crashing into each other with no masks. Subs on bench, sit 2 meters apart but all have to wear masks. I think this shows the truth about masks, a gimmick to make us feel safe rather than be safe.
This is typical of this discussion board. Your coming out with this because of the view you had on people who wore masks at the start, that they were depriving front line NHS workers of masks. Which wasnt actually the case, but I understand why the government didn't want to tell people to wear them until they had their supply chain sorted. Your doubling down now. The evidence is irrefutable that they prevent  spread. Posters have tried to explain to you why that is, but you have chose to ignore that rather than admit you may have got it wrong. Your saying that it is a gimmick while at the same time I bet you cough in to your sleeve or elbow and away from people? Do you not see the contradiction there?
The pissing yourself / wearing pants meme summed it all up nicley - if you don't wear pants and piss you'll soak yourself and those around you, if you wear pants and piss you'll still get soaked but less so & won't soak those beside you.

armaghniac

Quote from: naka on May 16, 2020, 06:30:02 PM
https://www.spiked-online.com/2020/05/15/we-could-open-up-again-and-forget-the-whole-thing/
Interesting alternative view

You can't believe what every knut says.

This is bizarre. He says that hospitals could not become overloaded, yet they did in Wuhan, Bergamo and New York.
If the likes of Boris or Mary-Lou has to go to hospital then you are talking about a lot of people over 50, in Ireland you have 3 hospital beds per 1000, you simply cannot have a  substantial percentage of people over 50 going into hospital at the same time.
And anyone who talks about other patients being afraid to go to hospital is a fraud, if the disease is there people will be afraid whether the pubs are closed or not. The lockdown does not prohibit people from getting medical treatment, rather it helps them.
He says "All the studies that have been done have shown that we already have at least 25 per cent of the population who are immune. " this is fraudulent. The study in Spain, one of the worst affected countries, showed 5% infected.

This guy has academic credentials, but I can only surmise that he has chosen to ignore his academic training for some political purpose.

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

imtommygunn

Armaghniac I would be on the same page as you for a lot of this but your comment about patients going to hospital... People are scared to go to hospital. It's the most likely place you'll get this thing. It is a recognised by many as a genuine concern and problem.

J70

Quote from: armaghniac on May 16, 2020, 07:09:40 PM
https://www.spiked-online.com/2020/05/15/we-could-open-up-again-and-forget-the-whole-thing/

You can't believe what every knut says.

This is bizarre. He says that hospitals could not become overloaded, yet they did in Wuhan, Bergamo and New York.
If the likes of Boris or Mary-Lou has to go to hospital then you are talking about a lot of people over 50, in Ireland you have 3 hospital beds per 1000, you simply cannot have a  substantial percentage of people over 50 going into hospital at the same time.
And anyone who talks about other patients being afraid to go to hospital is a fraud, if the disease is there people will be afraid whether the pubs are closed or not. The lockdown does not prohibit people from getting medical treatment, rather it helps them.
He says "All the studies that have been done have shown that we already have at least 25 per cent of the population who are immune. " this is fraudulent. The study in Spain, one of the worst affected countries, showed 5% infected.

This guy has academic credentials, but I can only surmise that he has chosen to ignore his academic training for some political purpose.

Unless I've missed it, they have yet to establish that the presence of anti-bodies means that a person is immune. Hopefully it does, obviously. Serology studies were showing, as of a week or two ago, that one in five had antibodies in NYC.

This guy is correct about the nursing homes, and good and all as he has been through this, its a stain on Cuomo and his administration's decision making.

Rockerfeller University don't want to be associated with his views on lockdown though. They put out a statement in April. https://www.rockefeller.edu/news/27872-rockefeller-university-releases-statement-concerning-dr-knut-wittkowski/

Also, you tube just removed a video of his.https://nypost.com/2020/05/16/youtube-censors-epidemiologist-knut-wittkowski-for-opposing-lockdown/

Milltown Row2

Quote from: imtommygunn on May 16, 2020, 07:25:47 PM
Armaghniac I would be on the same page as you for a lot of this but your comment about patients going to hospital... People are scared to go to hospital. It's the most likely place you'll get this thing. It is a recognised by many as a genuine concern and problem.

I'm taking my dad every other week to hospital, he doesn't want to go and is afraid, but he's no choice, I've no choice, but I want to take him, the hospitals (Royal and City) have been perfect.

I understand that's the last place you want to be and I've responsibilities to my own family too but if there is a need to go, you have to go.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

Yeah agreed. A big mistake they have made in Belfast is building that nightingale beside the cancer centre. That hasn't helped though some stuff has been moved to Ulster independent I think.

Itchy

Quote from: HiMucker on May 16, 2020, 05:06:13 PM
Quote from: Itchy on May 16, 2020, 02:31:33 PM
In the Bundesliga on tv at moment, players on field crashing into each other with no masks. Subs on bench, sit 2 meters apart but all have to wear masks. I think this shows the truth about masks, a gimmick to make us feel safe rather than be safe.
This is typical of this discussion board. Your coming out with this because of the view you had on people who wore masks at the start, that they were depriving front line NHS workers of masks. Which wasnt actually the case, but I understand why the government didn't want to tell people to wear them until they had their supply chain sorted. Your doubling down now. The evidence is irrefutable that they prevent  spread. Posters have tried to explain to you why that is, but you have chose to ignore that rather than admit you may have got it wrong. Your saying that it is a gimmick while at the same time I bet you cough in to your sleeve or elbow and away from people? Do you not see the contradiction there?

I have been consistent on this and the advise coming from the experts in this country was also consistent up until last week. Masks have a place, for front line workers and on busy subways etc. However they also give people a false sense of security causing them to relax social distancing. I don't recall the Irish government once mentioning Mask supply chain as a reason not wear them. You will see masks being fidgeted with and adjusted. Tell me if they are so key a protector why are so many health care workers getting infected? I suppose yuo believe that temp checks at airports will be an effective means to stop infection across borders too.

We have brought this virus back and flattened the curve and this was achieved without Masks or temp checks. What is happening now is politicians are moving away from data based science to lets convince everyone its safe to start going back to normal. Maybe they need to do that but I'd rather they would be honest about it instead of convincing fools that a mask will protect them.

Can you return to my previous post, do you think there is any point German players sitting on the subs bench 2m apart should be wearing masks. If you think it is sensible maybe you could explain why. If you think it is not sensible maybe you could hazard a guess at why they were asked to wear them?

Itchy

Quote from: Smurfy123 on May 16, 2020, 06:48:22 PM
Naka very interesting article
Second wave? We really are still waiting on this massive first wave that has not come
And I will say it again that is in all respect to everyone who has lost lives. It really is
How can South Korea have no cases with no lockdown? An exceptional plan that is why.

So you dont think there was a first wave? 310,00 deaths and that despite a hard lock down and the world grinding to a halt. Other news for Smurfy the world is not Flat and Elvis is dead.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: imtommygunn on May 16, 2020, 07:59:54 PM
Yeah agreed. A big mistake they have made in Belfast is building that nightingale beside the cancer centre. That hasn't helped though some stuff has been moved to Ulster independent I think.

It's literally two metres away! But they have very good measures in place to be fair to them. Very difficult on us but we've no other choice.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Smurfy123

I don't believe it's a big as what many people are making it out to be
450 deaths per day die of cancer in the uk
Astonishing over 1600 a day every day in America
30 people per day in Southern Ireland
Perspective

Smurfy123

I don't believe it's a big as what many people are making it out to be
450 deaths per day die of cancer in the uk
Astonishing over 1600 a day every day in America
30 people per day in Southern Ireland
Perspective

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: Smurfy123 on May 16, 2020, 12:58:24 PM
So South Korea with a 55 million didn't shut down but had a great healthcare and plan in place to deal with it?

They had a full testing and tracing infrastructure in place due to the lessons they learned the hard way from SARS.

If we had the setup of South Korea - then we could do what they've done (which includes making everyone download and use the tracing app for their phones). But we're not. We've idiots in charge being advised by academics. Therefore we have to use a sledgehammer to crack a nut.
i usse an speelchekor

Smurfy123

What about Georgia in America? Cases gone down in 3 weeks? Everyone telling them including myself it was mad

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: Smurfy123 on May 16, 2020, 03:25:01 PM
Tommy sport certainly isn't exempt from this. They have been shut down for 61 days

We could say the same for garden centres beaches etc opening on Monday.

Why do you say sport is exempt even though the have been shut down?

Radio thought you may struggle to reply to my facts

Your facts?

You wouldn't know a proper fact if it hit you in the face with the edge of a hurl.

Sport is not exempt anywhere. Germany are making extremely limited exceptions. Germany have the testing capacity to make sure the players are free of it (note, they are quarantining all players/staff for 7 days prior to the games).

Garden centres here - that is a political decision as much as a medical one. However, garden centres tend to be outdoors - which means the presence of at least a breeze usually - this will rapidly disperse any suspended droplets reducing risk of a sneeze "hanging around". Is it ideal? Not in a perfect world - but if the economy is to be got up and running in some shape or form, if outdoor shops prove unsafe, then offices and non-essential shopping faces a much bigger problem.
i usse an speelchekor

RadioGAAGAA

That guys a fuckin' idiot. Ignore it.

All his bullshit and blathering stops when you look at a case mortality rate of >10% in Lombardy.

His shares are probably nosediving.
i usse an speelchekor