China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tyrone Dreamer

Quote from: Smurfy123 on May 15, 2020, 10:35:36 AM
And now the average deaths in the uk this past 5 years have been officially released and the deaths this past 3 weeks is actually lower than the average 5 year toll
Can anyone explain this? Probably because nobody is going out? Amazing
As Trump would say. It's time to open up

Anything I've seen says deaths 50-60k higher in UK over last number of weeks than is normal for time of year. And that was with lockdown in place.

Not sure what the above is referring to. Is it for full years? Due to mild winters and other factors there was lower death rate this winter I think. If everyone went to work and ignored this virus there's no knowing how high deaths would be.

armaghniac

Quote from: Tyrone Dreamer on May 15, 2020, 11:56:13 AM
Quote from: Smurfy123 on May 15, 2020, 10:35:36 AM
And now the average deaths in the uk this past 5 years have been officially released and the deaths this past 3 weeks is actually lower than the average 5 year toll
Can anyone explain this? Probably because nobody is going out? Amazing
As Trump would say. It's time to open up

Anything I've seen says deaths 50-60k higher in UK over last number of weeks than is normal for time of year. And that was with lockdown in place.

Not sure what the above is referring to. Is it for full years? Due to mild winters and other factors there was lower death rate this winter I think. If everyone went to work and ignored this virus there's no knowing how high deaths would be.

I went looking for this, there is new data butt the exact opposite, according to the Times.

New figures show that 12,526 care home residents died due to the coronavirus in England and Wales during the four months to May.

The provisional number of deaths of care home residents in England and Wales from December 28 to May 1 was 73,180, which was 23,136 more than the same period last year.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Smurfy123

Maroon the official ONS twitter page this morning. Deaths dropped below 5 year average. Go check it out if you don't believe me

Tyrone Dreamer

In one week at end of April with lockdown in full swing? If anything the graphs up show the benefit of it kicking in. In the last two months deaths are well over 50,000 higher than normal. Given people haven't been out and less accidents that's a big number.

Even if they aren't all covid most of them are caused by the governments handling of it and initial slow response and open borders allowing disease to spread and keeping people from going to hospital.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on May 15, 2020, 02:05:25 PM
Quote from: johnnycool on May 15, 2020, 01:55:29 PM
Quote from: GetOverTheBar on May 15, 2020, 01:50:05 PM
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/coronavirus/boris-declares-war-on-fat-pm-ditches-his-nanny-state-worries-and-demands-action-plan-to-tackle-britains-obesity-crisis-after-blaming-his-severe-bout-of-coronavirus-on-being-overweight/ar-BB146zsD?li=BBoPWjQ

Over 17 stone @ 5'9", god, no wonder those suits are shapeless..

The 1 in 3 Brits overweight is a shocking stat in fairness. Wonder where we stand on that kind of thing - anyone have an idea where to look?

You only have to look at the queues of people lining up at the fast food places that have just opened up again!

In my day we had meat and veg 6 days a week, generally chippy if we're lucky on a Friday, it wasn't till I earned money that getting a chippy or (first fast food place) KFC was easier to get or more frequent,  kids have access to these places 24/7, the exposure through advertising is huge.

There is no way you'll stop this, it's only going to get worse, if you look at the USA, they had fast food from the 60's we had it late 80's, so it's no surprise now that obesity is getting worse.

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

It is probably Boris trying to deflect as usual.

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Gmac

Obesity which would bring on conditions like poor lung function, diabetes, high blood pressure, hypertension, heart disease all seem to add massively to covid death rate, the virus causes thrombosis which leads to stroke and heart failure .

trailer

Quote from: Rossfan on May 15, 2020, 02:39:46 PM
We're not doing to well here anyway
https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/very-unfair-that-ireland-has-highest-obesity-rate-yet-poorest-access-to-treatment-956453.html

A lot of fat people about. But you're not allowed to call someone fat. Or mention their weight because you know... lets not mention the elephant the room ..literally.

Milltown Row2

Based on the current figures, it doesn't take much to be obese
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: Gmac on May 15, 2020, 02:50:08 PM
Obesity which would bring on conditions like poor lung function, diabetes, high blood pressure, hypertension, heart disease all seem to add massively to covid death rate, the virus causes thrombosis which leads to stroke and heart failure .

I would really like to see, going forward an emphasis on healthy living and rewarding healthy lifestyles for the population. I'm not adverse to a sugar tax or so called sin tax for most things - I mean within reason, it makes sense. And if it helps us all out of the financial mess, why not. Perhaps it can be taken further, maybe those who are deemed to be in whatever perimeters can be rewarded in some way.

What needs looked at is the fact you can go and get a feed in McDonalds or whatever for less than you can get a decent salad. Doesn't make sense to me whatsoever and definitely not the way to encourage our youth going forward.

five points

With the ubiquitous dressings that accompany them, salads can be every bit as fattening as any McDonalds meal.

And good luck with all those new taxes in the recession or depression that awaits us.