China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smurfy123

Tommy it's all about opinions and to say I haven't covered myself in glory is just wrong
I could say that about everyone that wants to use the furlong money as an excuse and stay off work until October
Jobs will be gone by then
300000 people passed through the London Underground last Friday
2 deaths today in the north

Smurfy123

Agree Hardstation that one wasn't thought through enough. Why would you want to go back until furlough run out. A nice wee 3/4 months off

From the Bunker

We are told by Leo that Kids may be allowed back to school in a few weeks. But there was no way we could hold a leaving cert?

Smurfy123

I'll give it to Leo and the lads they seem to have got a massive grip on things
Deaths and cases going down everyday
Also occupied ICU beds went from 170 two weeks ago to 60 today. That's a massive drop and that stat probably more than anything tells us they have finally got to grips with how to deal with it
Great work and it gives you a boost hearin that

macdanger2

Quote from: hardstation on May 13, 2020, 04:50:23 PM
Quote from: Smurfy123 on May 13, 2020, 04:16:20 PM
I could say that about everyone that wants to use the furlong money as an excuse and stay off work until October
Give them an inch, they'll take a mile.

1/8 anyway

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Smurfy123 on May 13, 2020, 05:21:54 PM
Agree Hardstation that one wasn't thought through enough. Why would you want to go back until furlough run out. A nice wee 3/4 months off

Who is doing this though?

I don't know of any of my colleagues who wants to sit in the house, and we are being paid btw, handsomely for it. I'd rather be in work as would the nearly 200 staff we have, well maybe one git would but ya have that in most jobs.

As someone or plenty have said, we'll all be paying for it later on when we go back, that's the retirement age going up a year! Recession for another 5 years (I can't remember when there wasn't one!) and then we've brexit to contend with!

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

seafoid

https://www.ft.com/content/69c75de6-9c6b-4bca-b110-2a55296b0875

It will be four or five years before Covid-19 is under control, the World Health Organization's chief scientist predicted on Wednesday, in a bleak assessment of the difficulties that lie ahead. Many factors will determine how long and to what extent the virus remains a threat, including whether it mutates, what containment measures are put in place and whether an effective vaccine is developed, Soumya Swaminathan told the FT's Global Boardroom digital conference. "I would say in a four to five-year timeframe we could be looking at controlling this," she said, adding there was "no crystal ball" and the pandemic could "potentially get worse". A vaccine "seems for now the best way out", but there were "lots of ifs and buts" about its efficacy and safety, as well as its production and equitable distribution, she said. A vaccine could also stop working if the virus changed, she added. Peter Piot, professor of global health at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine who was also speaking on the FT panel, agreed that control of the virus depended on the development of an effective vaccine, but said the "elimination" of the disease "is going to require much much more". "Only smallpox has been eliminated and eradicated as a human disease," said Prof Piot, who is himself recovering from the virus. Countries should be thinking in terms of years not months, he said: "We will have to find a way as societies to live with this" and change from lockdowns to more "granular, targeted types of interventions". Dr Swaminathan said weighing up the risks and benefits of easing restrictions, and figuring out how to reach a "new normal", was the biggest challenge facing policymakers

bennydorano

Articles like that piss me right off, scaremongering shite. We live with controlled viruses & diseases on a daily basis, eradication is not a prerequisite to return to normal.

Mikhail Prokhorov

some who have been on the covid payment, got part time work driving/cleaning/stocking etc, they wont go back to work until it runs out and will make the most of this while it lasts to prepare for the obvious downturn coming after

Eamonnca1

Quote from: bennydorano on May 13, 2020, 11:37:30 PM
Articles like that piss me right off, scaremongering shite. We live with controlled viruses & diseases on a daily basis, eradication is not a prerequisite to return to normal.

I give up.

armaghniac

We don't need eradication, but we do need something
Flu has vaccines which are at least partly effective, colds are a nuisance they do not kill you, you can't get Aids on the bus.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Smurfy123

Folks getting a vaccine is a big big if. Unless we can do what hasn't been don't before and get a vaccine for a Coronavirus it's here to stay. 100 years later we still haven't found a vaccine for the Spanish flu. SARS no vaccine. The WHO now saying we just got to deal with it
So what now?

johnnycool

Quote from: Mikhail Prokhorov on May 14, 2020, 12:13:56 AM
some who have been on the covid payment, got part time work driving/cleaning/stocking etc, they wont go back to work until it runs out and will make the most of this while it lasts to prepare for the obvious downturn coming after

It's the employer to applies for it, so if the employer decides to leave the scheme and can introduce safe work practices then you've no choice to go back to work.

Being reliant on public transport would be an issue though!

Rossfan

I think the WHO may have to double check with Karen before following this advice.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM