China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GetOverTheBar

@ProfKarolSikora

Offers some good insight on twitter.

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: Maroon Manc on May 06, 2020, 10:01:45 AM
Its one child dying too many in the UK but statistically its clearly not affecting the youth, that's anything but definitive.

No - that was a rebuttal to the assertion:

QuoteAll the evidence from the outset though was that the virus doesn't affect children. It's since been shown that they don't even carry it.

IMO pretty clear evidence that the above is wrong.

Now, if you want to get into proportion of cases presenting to hospital or submitted to ICUs that are children, different story - but different story with 2 factors; (i)children have a much more active immune system than adults and (ii)mild or even no symptoms does not stop them passing it on.
i usse an speelchekor

Smurfy123

I don't believe kids spread it. Everyone had different opinions on this matter
But you stating it does is just wrong
Deal in facts not paper talk
Why were airports on this island not locked down?
The governments have made a complete balls of this from start to finish.
And I keep referring back to everybody seen what was happening 3 weeks before it happened as we all seen Italy
Another thing that the uk government seem to be getting away with is why are they waiting until Sunday 9th of May to release our next phase of lockdown? That's 6 weeks and 6 days and we are officially only to be lockdown for 6 weeks. Lockdown ended on Monday.

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: Smurfy123 on May 06, 2020, 10:30:29 AM

Prove that.

Produce some peer reviewed papers that state unequivocally that kids do not spread it.

Just to start off, here are two that say (i)kids can get it and spread it and (ii)the effect of school closures:

https://zoonosen.charite.de/fileadmin/user_upload/microsites/m_cc05/virologie-ccm/dateien_upload/Weitere_Dateien/analysis-of-SARS-CoV-2-viral-load-by-patient-age.pdf

QuoteData on viral load, as estimated by real-time RT-PCR threshold cycle values from 3,712 COVID-19 patients were analysed to examine the relationship between patient age and SARS-CoV-2 viral load.
Analysis of variance of viral loads in patients of different age categories found no significant difference between any pair of age categories including children.
In particular, these data indicate that viral loads in the very young do not differ significantly from those of adults.
Based on these results, we have to caution against an unlimited re-opening of schools and kindergartens in the present situation. Children may be as infectious as adults.

https://science.sciencemag.org/content/early/2020/05/04/science.abb8001
QuoteWe find that children 0-14 years are less susceptible to SARS-CoV-2 infection than adults 15-64 years of age (odds ratio 0.34, 95%CI 0.24-0.49), while in contrast, individuals over 65 years are more susceptible to infection (odds ratio 1.47, 95%CI: 1.12-1.92). Based on these data, we build a transmission model to study the impact of social distancing and school closure on transmission. We find that social distancing alone, as implemented in China during the outbreak, is sufficient to control COVID-19. While proactive school closures cannot interrupt transmission on their own, they can reduce peak incidence by 40-60% and delay the epidemic.

I eagerly await your response and anticipate it is based on more than your opinion.
i usse an speelchekor

larryin89

When you folk say kids is that 0-18 years ?
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

johnnycool

Quote from: imtommygunn on May 06, 2020, 10:19:52 AM
Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on May 06, 2020, 10:18:56 AM
Quote from: imtommygunn on May 06, 2020, 08:01:55 AM
Talking to a few people who work in the "front line" one of the biggest scandals to them is dyson making the extra ventilators. The reckoning is that the ones that work are about as advanced as ventilators from the 70s. Dyson were given this contract having never made ventilators before from what I can tell.  Questions need to be asked on this front too. Highly suspicious.

You mean the Brexit supporting Dyson?

That would be the one.

That was fĂșcking nuts what they did there with Dyson, JCB, McClaren and the likes and had all the hallmarks of people not having the first clue about medical electronics and the rigorous standards that this kit is designed, built and tested to. It takes years to get new designs approved.

I've worked in that industry for a while on drip pumps for Abbot in Sligo, oncology devices for Philips Medical Systems and GE Medical systems in Milwaukee and absolutely nothing is left to chance.

That bullshit was never going to work but puff out the chest of the British bulldog spirit. 

imtommygunn

Yeah but there's hardly an eyelid batted about it. Now while the thing hasn't been as bad as it could have been people a) could have died because of that and b) could yet die if things get worse.

They don't give a shite.The media do not hold them to account either. Give your mates jobs sure and it'll be grand.

Milltown Row2

I think Piers Morgan has been pretty brutal with them to be honest
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Maroon Manc

I'm fine with my kids going back to school but if they do they'll have to continue keeping their distance from their grandparents which is going to be very difficult once winter arrives.

trailer

In reality if manufacturing and other industries are starting back then we needs schools and creches to look after these kids otherwise we're leaving them with Grandparents which is not ideal.

clarshack

Quote from: Smurfy123 on May 06, 2020, 10:30:29 AM
Deal in facts not paper talk
Why were airports on this island not locked down?
The governments have made a complete balls of this from start to finish.
And I keep referring back to everybody seen what was happening 3 weeks before it happened as we all seen Italy
Another thing that the uk government seem to be getting away with is why are they waiting until Sunday 9th of May to release our next phase of lockdown? That's 6 weeks and 6 days and we are officially only to be lockdown for 6 weeks. Lockdown ended on Monday.

This year's bank holiday is on the 8th May due to VE day so they most likely chose the 9th May due to this, so as not to have the potential for mass gatherings on the bank holiday? Not that it matters as most people are now ignoring lockdown anyway.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: trailer on May 06, 2020, 11:45:30 AM
In reality if manufacturing and other industries are starting back then we needs schools and creches to look after these kids otherwise we're leaving them with Grandparents which is not ideal.

But sure if kids don't get it then why not leave them with grandparents?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Smurfy123

The nightingale hospital in Belfast to be closed down
60% of deaths this last week in the uk are now in care homes
Scotland deaths today in care homes are more than the general public for the first time
The Government really and truly have messed up big time
First move should have been get the elderly and care homes sorted
They were to busy building 5 nightingale hospitals
They panicked when they seen all the stuff coming out of Italy
But remember Italy didn't see this coming we did
Boris Johnstone now admits he regrets leaving the care homes behind

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Smurfy123 on May 06, 2020, 01:01:02 PM
Scotland deaths today in care homes are more than the general public for the first time

So if we had have carried on with kids at school, over 70's isolate and looked after the care-homes we'd have been fine?

Maroon Manc

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 06, 2020, 01:06:25 PM
Quote from: Smurfy123 on May 06, 2020, 01:01:02 PM

So if we had have carried on with kids at school, over 70's isolate and looked after the care-homes we'd have been fine?

Without seeing all the stats on the deaths its difficult to calculate but with what the little I do know I suspect we'd have far less deaths if all of the above had happened.