China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

It's mind numbing. The press have all day to think of a question. It's usually.... give us a date for something in the future. Or... From the public... When can I hug my grandson?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Rossfan

23 more deaths, 211 new cases in the 26.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: Smurfy123 on May 05, 2020, 05:46:58 PM
Dominic Raab stands up at the press briefings talking as if they have done a great job
They hit the target off one hundred thousand tests on Friday and haven't hit that target again? Why are they not getting ripped to shreds in the press.

Did you not hear how they "hit" it?

They sent out ~30,000 test kits to various places - and counted that as a completed test.

[Never mind that the chokepoint is often the labs turning around the result of a sample.]

If I was a journo in the conference, I'd have called him a straight up liar and tell him I'd continue to preface any report on him as him being a liar until he retracted that statement.
i usse an speelchekor

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: ONeill on May 05, 2020, 05:50:15 PM
It's mind numbing. The press have all day to think of a question. It's usually.... give us a date for something in the future. Or... From the public... When can I hug my grandson?

Q: "Leaving aside timelines, what are the steps that are needed to get things back on their feet?"

Q:"Why are your testing targets only half that of Germany?"

Q:"Why are medics continuing to have to buy their own PPE? How come they can obtain it in their limited spare time outside of work whereas you with your legions of civil servants cannot?"

Q:"What PPE providers are you in contact with? Here are additional providers that have contacted me saying they cannot get through to your civil servants. I will be talking to them tomorrow to verify they have been contacted by your minions, if they haven't expect I will expect a full explanation of why not."

Its long past time the press started getting a little hostile, grew a set of balls and challenged their lies.
i usse an speelchekor

HiMucker

Quote from: thewobbler on May 05, 2020, 04:34:50 PM
Quote from: HiMucker on May 05, 2020, 04:01:14 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on May 05, 2020, 03:09:29 PM
Armaghniac, I'm mystified that you're trying to drop the "you want everything in black and white" hammer on me, when fundamentally what I'm doing is challenging science to be reflective and honest in what has happened to date.

But I guess it's largely explained by your other comment. It's an exceptionally common trait in those who blindly follow science, to decry the intelligence of those who don't.

Enjoy your superior knowledge kid.

;D ;D ;D This is a cracker. Maybe if the car industries weren't blindly following science we would all be driving hover cars by now. Maybe if NASA wasn't doing the same we would have colonised Mars by now. Maybe we could have increased live expectancy, lower infant mortality rates and so on. ;D  Jesus Christ how could you have any reasoned discussion when your coming out with that.

Now if you can use that scientific brain of yours to see the "blindly" part of "blindly following science", you should immediately begin to feel more foolish about what you're written.

If not, let's have a look at the Y2K bug for a while

Science, by the way, is brilliant. Blindly following any path though, that's not so clever.
Another belter ;D
Do yourself a favour and talk to anybody involved in IT and listen to their response if you think it wasnt a real issue.

lenny

Quote from: thewobbler on May 05, 2020, 04:51:24 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on May 05, 2020, 04:37:44 PM
The Y2K bug?? What has it got to do with anything?

Do you just pick out words, or do you read threads?

I've been pointing out repeatedly that blind faith in science can impair judgement. HiMucker has decided I'm an oaf. I'm merely pointing out here that the Y2K bug cost billions, fixing a problem that did not exist, because of a blind faith in science.

Maybe the billions spent fixing the problem prevented it from existing. That's why faith in science is a good thing.

Smurfy123

Patrick Valance throwing the British government under the bus
More testing should have happened earlier but for one reason or another it didn't
That's the start of it
Under the bus

Sportacus

Anyone else detecting a growing gap between UK Ministers and the scientific advisers standing alongside. By Boris's own logic, the public will only see the simple message - the UK has the highest death rate in Europe. Looks like that is just going to get worse so they are screwed and the cracks are appearing.  In due course there'll be any amount of experts being thrown under the bus by Ministers and vice versa.  It's an awful tragedy.

Smurfy123

Yes sportacus
They seem to be distancing themselves now from some decisions made
Valance was saying it as if he wanted it done earlier
The professionals around the British government are starting to look pretty poor

thewobbler

Quote from: lenny on May 05, 2020, 06:36:11 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on May 05, 2020, 04:51:24 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on May 05, 2020, 04:37:44 PM
The Y2K bug?? What has it got to do with anything?

Do you just pick out words, or do you read threads?

I've been pointing out repeatedly that blind faith in science can impair judgement. HiMucker has decided I'm an oaf. I'm merely pointing out here that the Y2K bug cost billions, fixing a problem that did not exist, because of a blind faith in science.

Maybe the billions spent fixing the problem prevented it from existing. That's why faith in science is a good thing.

Maybe so. Maybe I am just one of those conspiracy theorist types.

Personally I like the balance in this paper which I saw a few years later. The author was widely outspoken against y2k panic in the run up to the millennium, but this is not an I Told You So piece. I was always taken by the last paragraph.

https://discovery.ucl.ac.uk/id/eprint/1147/1/14.5_y2kpiece.pdf

Milltown Row2

Seems we (well our company) may be back at work in 2 weeks, once Boris comes out with his statement on Thursday. Be interesting to see the format to this and how it will work. Will it be based on watching the numbers to see if there will be an increase in new cases?

Sort of wary about going in, probably based on being off for so long and not fully sure/aware if the people who know (Karen from FB) how we contract it! that sounds silly but there are so many people getting it but have been self isolating and family can't work out how their loved ones got it!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

trailer

Anyone defending the science or those delivering it are part of the problem. They've got it wrong. They're making it up as they go along. They don't know what they're doing. The game is up. People see these frauds for what they are, bluffers and chancers.

J70

Quote from: trailer on May 05, 2020, 07:14:54 PM
Anyone defending the science or those delivering it are part of the problem. They've got it wrong. They're making it up as they go along. They don't know what they're doing. The game is up. People see these frauds for what they are, bluffers and chancers.

So who and what are you relying on trailer?

Rossfan

If only they'd all consulted Trailer :'(
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

imtommygunn

Quote from: trailer on May 05, 2020, 07:14:54 PM

;D I see some irony in that post ;D