China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LCohen

Quote from: Square Ball on May 03, 2020, 12:53:59 AM
So, how many people will actually take their temperature, how many know what normal temperature should be and will those with a high temperature not bother getting on public transport?

Unless a third party does it I think it's pretty useless.

I think the point is that you won't take your own temperature. You will walk through a scanner when entering large shops, offices, public transport hubs or airports. That technology is being worked on. Whether it would ever be slick enough to be installed on a bus is one the significant issue.

But the more significant issue is issue pointed out below. Its not accurate enough, too easy got around and is more about giving a sense is security and getting people to resume old behaviours. It's driven by economics not public health

Milltown Row2

So none of the stuff is going to help until a vaccine is found? So back to my earlier point, can we not just close the island down and what  we have contain it let it die off and get on with our lives again?

This may sound drastic and outside of tourism, that may hurt us, but that's going to happen as a result of this globally what are the other major drawbacks from shutting down the Island?

We can have stay vacations, international business cans be done on Skype (not ideal, but safe) , goods and foods coming in needs to be monitored as it still needs to be an essential part of our day to day, so that's the main risk.

Who's going to lose out work wise what would be the percentage on that? In comparison to who's losing out now? And can the governments help those businesses that have to work away from home?

Local sports could resume, normal life gets back gradually, keep social distancing to a point to build confidence and put in proper tracing methods to be ready if it was to raise its head again. 
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

6th sam

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 03, 2020, 10:22:32 AM
So none of the stuff is going to help until a vaccine is found? So back to my earlier point, can we not just close the island down and what  we have contain it let it die off and get on with our lives again?

This may sound drastic and outside of tourism, that may hurt us, but that's going to happen as a result of this globally what are the other major drawbacks from shutting down the Island?

We can have stay vacations, international business cans be done on Skype (not ideal, but safe) , goods and foods coming in needs to be monitored as it still needs to be an essential part of our day to day, so that's the main risk.

Who's going to lose out work wise what would be the percentage on that? In comparison to who's losing out now? And can the governments help those businesses that have to work away from home?

Local sports could resume, normal life gets back gradually, keep social distancing to a point to build confidence and put in proper tracing methods to be ready if it was to raise its head again.

Though there are challenges with a lot of that MR, it could be the "new normal".
I can't understand people separating public health and the economy as both are directly related. At times of austerity two sectors which are hit hardest are health and education. So prolonged lockdown reducing GDP will potentially challenge public health more than Coronavirus. Notably the inevitable cutbacks will preferentially harm the most vulnerable.
There's genuine concern that the many Diseases of inactivity, isolation &  collective and individual poverty are likely to present a far bigger challenge to society than an appropriately managed pandemic

bennydorano

Interesting point in today's Sunday Times - UK Government Scientists are investigating whether Britain's high death toll is the result of the Obesity crisis after it emerged that the proportion of severely obese patients in ICU with CV 19 is twice the proportion of severely obese people in the general population.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: 6th sam on May 03, 2020, 10:38:19 AM

Though there are challenges with a lot of that MR, it could be the "new normal".
I can't understand people separating public health and the economy as both are directly related. At times of austerity two sectors which are hit hardest are health and education. So prolonged lockdown reducing GDP will potentially challenge public health more than Coronavirus. Notably the inevitable cutbacks will preferentially harm the most vulnerable.
There's genuine concern that the many Diseases of inactivity, isolation &  collective and individual poverty are likely to present a far bigger challenge to society than an appropriately managed pandemic

So the challenges I agree are there but what's the best option? Continue the way we are until there's a proper vaccine (up to two years)  in and out lockdowns until we 80% of the people to get it, to be honest I don't want it, even if there are a thousand ICU's available, all the small local businesses closed unemployment through the roof, those that are working getting taxed to within a inch of their lives to claw things back.. the knock on effects are staggering
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

6th sam

Quote from: bennydorano on May 03, 2020, 10:39:41 AM
Interesting point in today's Sunday Times - UK Government Scientists are investigating whether Britain's high death toll is the result of the Obesity crisis after it emerged that the proportion of severely obese patients in ICU with CV 19 is twice the proportion of severely obese people in the general population.

There are several stats such as this which are very relevant, but are hard to quantify . The raw data on cases and deaths from corona need to be contextualised taking into account other factors such as obesity, poverty etc.
In 2014 for example 28000 died from seasonal flu in UK. Now given that this is likely to be an underestimate compared to Corona , it did not result in lockdown .

Look at annual road deaths in NI , they have reduced from 150 to 50 over a 20 year timeframe , through several improvements eg seatbelts, awareness, reduced drink driving etc , but closing the roads was never contemplated.

Unfortunately politics has moved towards populism , and soundbites, and it seems uk government (amongst others) is not actually drilling down the statistics and responding to the challenge in a strategic way.

RadioGAAGAA

Its what I wanted done in Feb.

Unfortunately, there is an additional problem beyond the obvious.

Here you have to deal with Arlene Foster - she'll not accept that as it would be diverging from the rest of the UK. Big Ian had no problems being pragmatic when foot & mouth came along, but Foster is a different breed of intransigent (& stupid).
i usse an speelchekor

Milltown Row2

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on May 03, 2020, 11:15:17 AM

Its what I wanted done in Feb.

Unfortunately, there is an additional problem beyond the obvious.

Here you have to deal with Arlene Foster - she'll not accept that as it would be diverging from the rest of the UK. Big Ian had no problems being pragmatic when foot & mouth came along, but Foster is a different breed of intransigent (& stupid).

What creditable excuse could she use?

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 03, 2020, 11:45:37 AM
What creditable excuse could she use?

We take our scientific advice from London, not the pope of Rome or dublin.

etc
etc
etc

Don't forget - it doesn't have to be rational - as long as it appeals to wee Jamie et al.
i usse an speelchekor

imtommygunn

There's absolutely no way foster would be part of locking this island down. You have a better chance of winning the lottery than that happening.

seafoid

The Tories don't follow the science because the death rate is the highest in the EU.

The Unionists are tied to an incompetent.
Their default anti Irish stance doesn't work now either.

imtommygunn

They would blindly follow the British no matter what they do. Now what will be interesting is how we get out of lockdown here. I can't see the UK doing like Down south with current death rates so who do we follow up here? More political wars between dup and sf to follow.

armaghniac

Quote from: imtommygunn on May 03, 2020, 12:48:04 PM
They would blindly follow the British no matter what they do. Now what will be interesting is how we get out of lockdown here. I can't see the UK doing like Down south with current death rates so who do we follow up here? More political wars between dup and sf to follow.

The first phase of opening in the 26 counties will hardly cause that much difference.
NI can regulate these things itself, it is only unionist bigotry that is stopping them.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Milltown Row2

How many flights are coming in to Ireland at the minute? I take it only Dublin and Belfast international are the only ones working?

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 03, 2020, 01:54:40 PM
How many flights are coming in to Ireland at the minute? I take it only Dublin and Belfast international are the only ones working?

At the minute map. Not many and a few of those planes are flying over than landing in Ireland

Meanwhile the USA with the most cases and deaths in the world from this virus.