China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: imtommygunn on May 02, 2020, 07:49:02 AM
Radiogaagaa there is a times article about who saying about Sweden and lockdown but it's behind a paywall. I don't know the full ins and outs as I can't see all of it though I expect there is context. I suspect they are saying what Sweden are doing is ideal for the next phase of lockdown as opposed to it being what you should do up front. I am not sure though but I am not fully convinced they are lauding Sweden's approach.(could be wrong as I can't see the whole article)

I can't see how they would be lauding Sweden's approach when it compares extremely poorly to its immediate neighbours, hence wanted the article to read it.

Of course, Smurfy just ran off when asked (twice) to back up his statement.
i usse an speelchekor

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: Smurfy123 on May 01, 2020, 10:24:55 PM
So the bed occupancy in hospitals in the north are now confirmed at 70/30
70% empty
30% occupied
And many say we are not on top of this

... and what percentage of that 70% come with breathing assistance?

But yeah, from talking to a couple of folks working in the ICUs, numbers in intensive care are dropping - but they are worried about the 2nd wave. A second wave that will be made extremely bad by idiots calling for an immediate return to normalcy.
i usse an speelchekor

imtommygunn

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on May 02, 2020, 10:56:04 AM
Quote from: imtommygunn on May 02, 2020, 07:49:02 AM
Radiogaagaa there is a times article about who saying about Sweden and lockdown but it's behind a paywall. I don't know the full ins and outs as I can't see all of it though I expect there is context. I suspect they are saying what Sweden are doing is ideal for the next phase of lockdown as opposed to it being what you should do up front. I am not sure though but I am not fully convinced they are lauding Sweden's approach.(could be wrong as I can't see the whole article)

I can't see how they would be lauding Sweden's approach when it compares extremely poorly to its immediate neighbours, hence wanted the article to read it.

Of course, Smurfy just ran off when asked (twice) to back up his statement.

I was interested too just to see but I am not convinced what was said was what smurfy said. I am still unconvinced.

Yeah I know a few working in ICU and definitely hasn't been as busy as thought but it has to be considered this has been with stringent lockdown which will have to be relaxed so there will be more. Biggest complaint I have heard is that the location of "nightingale " in Belfast is a disaster logistically from a healthcare perspective but in general things haven't been as bad as feared and the general fear is a second wave will be a good bit worse due to our low infection rates thus far.

Milltown Row2

If there comes a time of no new infections, can we not just shut Ireland off? No flights out or in and ferry's monitored to check temperatures of drivers and so on?

Surely after a while it will die out?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

You can convince Arlene on that one ;D

Milltown Row2

Quote from: imtommygunn on May 02, 2020, 02:03:18 PM
You can convince Arlene on that one ;D

Couldn't convince her unless the UK government said it was the thing to do!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

Never going to happen. Probably the zero infections for a long time too.

Itchy

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 02, 2020, 01:41:20 PM
If there comes a time of no new infections, can we not just shut Ireland off? No flights out or in and ferry's monitored to check temperatures of drivers and so on?

Temperature checks a complete waste of time.

armaghniac

Temperature checks are not a complete waste of time, but are of limited effectiveness in the case of this virus. The question is what would work better?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Sportacus

The problem with temperature checking is that not everyone with Covid has a temperature and not everyone with a temperature has Covid.

bennydorano

Paracetamol reduces your temperature, easily dodged if you're that way inclined.

Itchy

Quote from: armaghniac on May 02, 2020, 08:02:03 PM
Temperature checks are not a complete waste of time, but are of limited effectiveness in the case of this virus. The question is what would work better?

Yes they are. You can carry virus for many days without any symptoms showing. Temp checks are just there to give people a false sense of security.

Square Ball

So, how many people will actually take their temperature, how many know what normal temperature should be and will those with a high temperature not bother getting on public transport?

Unless a third party does it I think it's pretty useless.
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

Solo_run

Only way we will get out of this rut is with a vaccine or a instant diagnostic tool. A long way off them both being put into mass production. All I would say is buckle down folks, this is a marathon. Another issue that will have to be looked at is the long term effects Covid 19 has on the lungs.... One bad flu season could be devestating.

seafoid

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 02, 2020, 01:41:20 PM

https://youtu.be/dL_PXBt85rY