China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rudi

Quote from: Rossfan on April 28, 2020, 11:27:23 AM
Next time I need surgery will I get it done by a surgeon/consultant who might be a "bluffer/c**k sucker" or will I get it done by Rudi or some other GAAboard poster?
Hmmmmm.........🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔

Never offered my services as a surgeon/ medical consultant its not my area. To be clear never had a go at surgeons/ medical consultants. Merely said some people who make it to the top of their respective fields are not always the best or most suitable for those positions, lots of politics involved.

armaghniac

Quote from: mouview on April 28, 2020, 11:55:41 AM
Re: bolded bit, I would say the reverse is true. Many of today's politicians were something else before becoming TDs. E.g. Varadkar was a doctor, Covenery worked in agriculture. Of Galway TDs, Sean Canny was an engineer and later a lecturer, Ann Rabbitte worked in a bank, Ciaran Cannon worked for a trust organisation, Eamon O'Cuiv ran a co-op, Hildegarde Naughton was a teacher, Sean Kyne worked for Teagasc etc. Maybe ideologically-driven SF TDs were always full-time political reps, I'm not sure, I've no interest in them.

Some of the SF lot were involved the arms import business, others in demolition.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: marty34 on April 28, 2020, 12:02:56 PM
Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on April 28, 2020, 11:58:03 AM
Yea, its a good point on politicians and one I've made elsewhere.

There probably should be a law that no-one without at least 10 years post-education experience outside politics can be elected.

Where do you stop with rules like that?

Sorry, but why should someone who barely knows how to tie their laces be elected into public office because "I vote for party XXX and not the candidate"?

You want incompetent governance instead of capable people? Compare Boris Johnson to Angela Merkel. One is an ex Eton bullshitter the other a doctor of chemistry. How's Germany & the UK fairing against COVID? You really think there is no coincidence one government is on top of understanding both the available science and the gaps in knowledge and the other is clearly at sea with it all?
i usse an speelchekor

trailer

Quote from: mouview on April 28, 2020, 11:25:36 AM
Quote from: trailer on April 28, 2020, 10:13:23 AM
A few points.

1) The lockdown isn't as effective as it should be because a significant amount of people cannot be locked down. Key workers (who are usually the lowest paid) It should be called the "rich work from home."

2) Again the effectiveness is compromised as there is little or no contact testing. Testing itself is minimal. The authorities are unable to say with conviction what the spread of the virus looks like. Testing is key. It's not being done. Therefore the lockdown is probably only about 50% effective to what it should be.

3) There is no quarantining of people arriving into the UK or Ireland. So a second, third, fourth wave is inevitable. Is a 6. 9 or 12 month lockdown viable?

4) People have lost confidence in what appears to be a hugely incompetent response from CMOs, Scientists and Gov.

5) Was on the roads this morning - they are definitely busier. The game is up unless governments publish an exit plan.

6) If anything comes out of this, maybe people will start to question so called "Experts" and by extension Ministers who are hiding behind bullshit lines like "we will be guided by science" It's a f**king copout that translates as "I have no idea what I am doing and I am in a job role far beyond my ability"

7) A vaccine is the solution. Until then we have to live with it. So sensible measures, social distancing, protect the vulnerable. It's the only way forward as our Local and National governments are unable to help.

With respect, the gist of this is a bit silly. Do you advocate people ignore Govt. and scientific advice and make up their own rules about how best to approach this? Would you go to the doctor with an ailment and then decide to ignore his diagnosis if you didn't like it? Politicians in the main are people of very disparate backgrounds and qualifications; when there's a specific or serious issue, and it's hard to think of a more extreme example of this than now, then it's absolutely correct that they take on board the most informed professional guidance available. Point 4 above is very generic and misguided - I don't hear any sustained or national outcry against the current measures being implemented.

Yes of course you're are correct. When has the British government ever lied before?

Be very very careful about trusting these chancers.

johnnycool

Quote from: trailer on April 28, 2020, 12:14:31 PM
A few points.

1) The lockdown isn't as effective as it should be because a significant amount of people cannot be locked down. Key workers (who are usually the lowest paid) It should be called the "rich work from home."

2) Again the effectiveness is compromised as there is little or no contact testing. Testing itself is minimal. The authorities are unable to say with conviction what the spread of the virus looks like. Testing is key. It's not being done. Therefore the lockdown is probably only about 50% effective to what it should be.

3) There is no quarantining of people arriving into the UK or Ireland. So a second, third, fourth wave is inevitable. Is a 6. 9 or 12 month lockdown viable?

4) People have lost confidence in what appears to be a hugely incompetent response from CMOs, Scientists and Gov.

5) Was on the roads this morning - they are definitely busier. The game is up unless governments publish an exit plan.

6) If anything comes out of this, maybe people will start to question so called "Experts" and by extension Ministers who are hiding behind bullshit lines like "we will be guided by science" It's a f**king copout that translates as "I have no idea what I am doing and I am in a job role far beyond my ability"

7) A vaccine is the solution. Until then we have to live with it. So sensible measures, social distancing, protect the vulnerable. It's the only way forward as our Local and National governments are unable to help.

With respect, the gist of this is a bit silly. Do you advocate people ignore Govt. and scientific advice and make up their own rules about how best to approach this? Would you go to the doctor with an ailment and then decide to ignore his diagnosis if you didn't like it? Politicians in the main are people of very disparate backgrounds and qualifications; when there's a specific or serious issue, and it's hard to think of a more extreme example of this than now, then it's absolutely correct that they take on board the most informed professional guidance available. Point 4 above is very generic and misguided - I don't hear any sustained or national outcry against the current measures being implemented.

Yes of course you're are correct. When has the British government ever lied before?

FFS they can't even count PPE honestly...

All spin.

Blowitupref

Quote from: Rudi on April 28, 2020, 10:39:51 AM
A disiciplined approach to herd immunity, something like what the Swedes are doing seems the best approach to me. We have many advantages, we are an Island, not densely populated & a part from a small ethnic minority we are a reasonably disiciplined / compliant society.

Are the Swedish including all deaths like Ireland whom are even counting probable deaths now.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

mouview

Quote from: trailer on April 28, 2020, 12:14:31 PM
A few points.

British govt. of course, I agree. In my naivete, I trust the Irish govt. to generally do what's best, or at least what's sensible, in this crisis.

highorlow

Hey, I got it wrong, so did lots of people. Glad people who called it right are getting satisfaction by going back over old posts and re posting them. It's a sign of the times if that's how you get your kicks.

When all the facts are churned out on this we will know the rights and wrongs.

I disagree now, and only now, that perfectly healthy people should still remain locked away after next week. We need some sort of income to pay for this. But hey, some knowitalls on here that called it right are the only ones now entitled to and opinion.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

Rudi

Quote from: Blowitupref on April 28, 2020, 12:26:17 PM
A disiciplined approach to herd immunity, something like what the Swedes are doing seems the best approach to me. We have many advantages, we are an Island, not densely populated & a part from a small ethnic minority we are a reasonably disiciplined / compliant society.

Are the Swedish including all deaths like Ireland whom are even counting probable deaths now.

Figures are in accordance with worldometers, some reporters suggest Swedish officals are conservative in their reporting of figures. In truth I don't know.

five points

Quote from: mouview on April 28, 2020, 12:28:12 PM
British govt. of course, I agree. In my naivete, I trust the Irish govt. to generally do what's best, or at least what's sensible, in this crisis.

Their record is poor too. They actually fell in January as the Dáil couldn't vote confidence in Harris. As for the officials, Tony Holohan just about about survived the cervical check disaster.

seafoid

Ireland cancelled St Patrick's Day and the UK had Cheltenham. The UK has been playing catch-up since.

five points

Quote from: seafoid on April 28, 2020, 12:51:46 PM
Ireland cancelled St Patrick's Day and the UK had Cheltenham. The UK has been playing catch-up since.

Very reluctantly.

This is from 3 March.
https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/coronavirus-no-plan-to-cancel-st-patrick-s-day-parades-at-this-stage-1.4191452

JoG2

Quote from: five points on April 28, 2020, 01:34:19 PM

Very reluctantly.

This is from 3 March.
https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/coronavirus-no-plan-to-cancel-st-patrick-s-day-parades-at-this-stage-1.4191452

ffs, it was cancelled, that's all that matters. Some dramatic hoors on here

Milltown Row2

Cancelled st Patrick's day but allowed the Italian fans to fly in allowed the Irish racing fans to fly out to Cheltenham
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

armaghniac

Quote from: Rudi on April 28, 2020, 12:32:34 PM
Quote from: Blowitupref on April 28, 2020, 12:26:17 PM

Figures are in accordance with worldometers, some reporters suggest Swedish officals are conservative in their reporting of figures. In truth I don't know.

Worldometers is not entirely reliable in adjusting the fatality for the extent of the count in each place.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B