China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnycool

Quote from: Rudi on April 28, 2020, 10:39:51 AM
A disiciplined approach to herd immunity, something like what the Swedes are doing seems the best approach to me. We have many advantages, we are an Island, not densely populated & a part from a small ethnic minority we are a reasonably disiciplined / compliant society.

Sweden are reporting over 2K deaths for a population of 10 million.

There's still no proof that having the virus and recovering even if asymptomatic offers immunity from the virus at a later date and even for how long if it does.

Rossfan

Quote from: Mikhail Prokhorov on April 28, 2020, 01:35:34 AM
New Zealand, an island with a comparable population to Ireland, 1k cases and 19 deaths.

Shameful whats happened here in comparison.

Their PM has done a masterful job and deserves massive respect.
NZ is 2 islands and their area is around the size of Great Britain with 5 million population well scattered.
It's also 1,500 miles from anywhere and hasn't got 500 million people on its doorstep with loads of travel between them.

That said they've done brilliant but it was easier for them in their unique circumstances.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Rudi

Quote from: johnnycool on April 28, 2020, 11:13:41 AM
A disiciplined approach to herd immunity, something like what the Swedes are doing seems the best approach to me. We have many advantages, we are an Island, not densely populated & a part from a small ethnic minority we are a reasonably disiciplined / compliant society.

There's still no proof that having the virus and recovering even if asymptomatic offers immunity from the virus at a later date and even for how long if it does.

Yeah that's a problem ie confirmed immunity. Figures are not bad in terms of death rate.

mouview

Quote from: trailer on April 28, 2020, 10:13:23 AM
A few points.

1) The lockdown isn't as effective as it should be because a significant amount of people cannot be locked down. Key workers (who are usually the lowest paid) It should be called the "rich work from home."

2) Again the effectiveness is compromised as there is little or no contact testing. Testing itself is minimal. The authorities are unable to say with conviction what the spread of the virus looks like. Testing is key. It's not being done. Therefore the lockdown is probably only about 50% effective to what it should be.

3) There is no quarantining of people arriving into the UK or Ireland. So a second, third, fourth wave is inevitable. Is a 6. 9 or 12 month lockdown viable?

4) People have lost confidence in what appears to be a hugely incompetent response from CMOs, Scientists and Gov.

5) Was on the roads this morning - they are definitely busier. The game is up unless governments publish an exit plan.

6) If anything comes out of this, maybe people will start to question so called "Experts" and by extension Ministers who are hiding behind bullshit lines like "we will be guided by science" It's a f**king copout that translates as "I have no idea what I am doing and I am in a job role far beyond my ability"

7) A vaccine is the solution. Until then we have to live with it. So sensible measures, social distancing, protect the vulnerable. It's the only way forward as our Local and National governments are unable to help.

With respect, the gist of this is a bit silly. Do you advocate people ignore Govt. and scientific advice and make up their own rules about how best to approach this? Would you go to the doctor with an ailment and then decide to ignore his diagnosis if you didn't like it? Politicians in the main are people of very disparate backgrounds and qualifications; when there's a specific or serious issue, and it's hard to think of a more extreme example of this than now, then it's absolutely correct that they take on board the most informed professional guidance available. Point 4 above is very generic and misguided - I don't hear any sustained or national outcry against the current measures being implemented.

Rossfan

Next time I need surgery will I get it done by a surgeon/consultant who might be a "bluffer/c**k sucker" or will I get it done by Rudi or some other GAAboard poster?
Hmmmmm.........🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔

five points

Quote from: mouview on April 28, 2020, 11:25:36 AM

With respect, the gist of this is a bit silly. Do you advocate people ignore Govt. and scientific advice and make up their own rules about how best to approach this? Would you go to the doctor with an ailment and then decide to ignore his diagnosis if you didn't like it? Politicians in the main are people of very disparate backgrounds and qualifications; when there's a specific or serious issue, and it's hard to think of a more extreme example of this than now, then it's absolutely correct that they take on board the most informed professional guidance available. Point 4 above is very generic and misguided - I don't hear any sustained or national outcry against the current measures being implemented.

The analogy with diagnoses from GPs is an odd one. It's very common for people to get second opinions after visiting their GPs and many people who are alive and healthy today would not be if they had blindly accepted GP advice.

20 or 30 years ago it was generally true that politicians were people of very disparate backgrounds and qualifications, but this is not the case today. Simon Harris' only work experience is as either a politician or working for one. His only qualifications apart from Junior and Leaving Cert. And he's not some sort of oddity. Many of today's politicians have never worked in the real world.

marty34

Quote from: Rossfan on April 28, 2020, 11:19:04 AM
New Zealand, an island with a comparable population to Ireland, 1k cases and 19 deaths.

NZ is 2 islands and their area is around the size of Great Britain with 5 million population well scattered.
It's also 1,500 miles from anywhere and hasn't got 500 million people on its doorstep with loads of travel between them.

That said they've done brilliant but it was easier for them in their unique circumstances.

Why is it easy for them and not Ireland, as an island?

Rossfan

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: marty34 on April 28, 2020, 11:49:29 AM

You could hop in a 20 minute flight from Liverpool and be in Dublin.

Takes around 3 - 6 hours to get to New Zealand depending on where you are in Australia.

Rossfan

Quote from: marty34 on April 28, 2020, 11:49:29 AM

Read above.
Also 2 jurisdictions in this island one of which was going to try the herd immunity route.

mouview

Quote from: five points on April 28, 2020, 11:40:58 AM
Quote from: mouview on April 28, 2020, 11:25:36 AM

The analogy with diagnoses from GPs is an odd one. It's very common for people to get second opinions after visiting their GPs and many people who are alive and healthy today would not be if they had blindly accepted GP advice.

20 or 30 years ago it was generally true that politicians were people of very disparate backgrounds and qualifications, but this is not the case today. Simon Harris' only work experience is as either a politician or working for one. His only qualifications apart from Junior and Leaving Cert. And he's not some sort of oddity. Many of today's politicians have never worked in the real world.

Quite common to get a second opinion maybe, but from a second doctor surely, not from somebody of a non-medical background.

Re: bolded bit, I would say the reverse is true. Many of today's politicians were something else before becoming TDs. E.g. Varadkar was a doctor, Covenery worked in agriculture. Of Galway TDs, Sean Canny was an engineer and later a lecturer, Ann Rabbitte worked in a bank, Ciaran Cannon worked for a trust organisation, Eamon O'Cuiv ran a co-op, Hildegarde Naughton was a teacher, Sean Kyne worked for Teagasc etc. Maybe ideologically-driven SF TDs were always full-time political reps, I'm not sure, I've no interest in them.

RadioGAAGAA

Yea, its a good point on politicians and one I've made elsewhere.

There probably should be a law that no-one without at least 10 years post-education experience outside politics can be elected.

i usse an speelchekor

marty34

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on April 28, 2020, 11:58:03 AM
Yea, its a good point on politicians and one I've made elsewhere.

There probably should be a law that no-one without at least 10 years post-education experience outside politics can be elected.

Where do you stop with rules like that?

armaghniac

Quote from: johnnycool on April 28, 2020, 11:13:41 AM

Sweden, like the UK, is being conservative in reporting deaths. Measures of mortality vs the seasonal average show a significant effect there, although it not as bad as the UK.

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B