China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eamonnca1

Quote from: highorlow on February 27, 2020, 01:16:08 PM
QuoteItaly = 12 dead, 3 recovered.

Italy 453 cases, 12 dead, 40 recovered.

The last 3 to die in Italy were 83, 84 and 91. No death is easy but the way the m€dia are carrying on in relation to this is ridiculous. If these 3 people got another strain of flu would they have died also?

And this didn't age well.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: highorlow on February 27, 2020, 09:07:03 AM
QuoteBy the time they do decide to, that horse will have long since bolted and foaled

It's reached it's peak or will over the next few days. So no horse to bolt.

Hmm.

Eamonnca1

Eamonnca1

Quote from: highorlow on March 02, 2020, 02:51:30 PM
The snowflakeitius surrounding this virus appears to be more contagious than the virus itself.

I'll give it 2 more weeks and it will have passed like most flu like viruses.

"snowflakeitius"

I like that.

I think we can stop listening to your forecasts at this point.

Eamonnca1

Why do some people feel the need to become armchair experts on this virus and play down its seriousness in contradiction to what qualified medical professionals are saying? Do they just enjoy being contrary for contrariness' sake? Do they think it makes them sound clever? "I'll show them smart-assed PhDs a thing or two! I've got a PhD from the University of Life! I've got more common sense than the rest of them put together! I see their data and I raise them a non-representative but bloody convincing anecdote!"

Why do they do it? What do they hope to gain from it? I would really like to know.

imtommygunn

Main Street

Quote from: imtommygunn on April 28, 2020, 07:14:14 AM
https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=4&ved=2ahUKEwj7s4-Hu4rpAhXISsAKHdjEAE4QFjADegQIBBAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Ftwitter.com%2Fchannon_mark%2Fstatus%2F1254011988482633728&usg=AOvVaw1BtdcgN_y164WZ-d7wuTJh

Very sad. Sorry for the long link...

Surely that response is no more immature than the original post  reading back on all this partitionist nonsense ::)
Yes indeed, it is partitionist nonsense to expect cross border excursions into the south to observe the regulations that the locals have to obey, and in areas where curiously the infection rate has risen to the highest in Ireland  ::)

imtommygunn

Quote from: Main Street on April 28, 2020, 09:30:17 AM
Quote from: imtommygunn on April 28, 2020, 07:14:14 AM
https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=4&ved=2ahUKEwj7s4-Hu4rpAhXISsAKHdjEAE4QFjADegQIBBAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Ftwitter.com%2Fchannon_mark%2Fstatus%2F1254011988482633728&usg=AOvVaw1BtdcgN_y164WZ-d7wuTJh

Very sad. Sorry for the long link...

Surely that response is no more immature than the original post  reading back on all this partitionist nonsense ::)
Yes indeed, it is partitionist nonsense to expect cross border excursions into the south to observe the regulations that the locals have to obey, and in areas where curiously the infection rate has risen to the highest in Ireland  ::)

They're not even the rules - they're the exercise rules.  Just more blah blah blah nordie nordie nordie blah blah blah by you again. Maybe it would be better to try and understand why the border counties might be like that rather than just to try and apportion blame?

Any chance of talking about the topic at hand?

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: Main Street on April 28, 2020, 12:40:26 AM
Quote from: GetOverTheBar on April 27, 2020, 07:43:41 PM
Quote from: hardstation on April 27, 2020, 07:29:44 PM
Quote from: Main Street on April 27, 2020, 07:27:32 PM
Quote from: hardstation on April 27, 2020, 07:09:24 PM
I thought the 2km thing was only for exercise?
Stay at home, unless there is a reasonable excuse, and i suppose it stands  that a reasonable excuse  - an  esssential  retail excursion can be a varying distance.
Why, then, did you tell him he was allowed to go to his local shop if it was "within 2km of the border"? That's not correct.

If I've got it right, it's because I live in the North and I would be travelling into the South....infecting the border counties. Sorry lads.
Immature response.  One-sided arguments serve no rational purpose. In logic they are treated as fallacy and often referred to as card-stacking or cherry-picking. Typically, where such type of argumentation occurs, someone wants to hijack and control a message by conveniently and repeatedly overlooking or ignoring whatever that person cannot rebut. In other words, s/he comments on only what is deemed to be a weak
point, whether or not it is indeed weak or even central to the topic under discussion. By hammering on that perceived 'weak' point, s/he seeks to have everyone draw an overly large, unjustified conclusion.
Do you have a problem with following the regulations in the south should you cross the border or do you think you are entitled, due to a badly phrased legislation, of flouting those regulations without repercussions?
If you follow the regulations as they exist in the south then there is no issue, is there?
You cross the border because for you it is an essential act in order to do some essential shopping. And the same goes for anybody who enters  the Republic  from another jurisdiction,  they should respect the laws regardless of the absent scale of repercussion.

Or do you think that nordies are not subject to follow the regulations in the south, the very same that the locals have to follow?

You started off there using as many big words as I'm sure you could google, it looked well. If not contrived.

Let yourself down hugely with the last little dig in bold. Really not much need, especially when I am Monaghan born and bred....I just happen to live over the border now (and even that was a very recent move). Am I a "Nordie"?. I work in the South, pay taxes in the South. Infact, I am....shock horror, just the same as you....

Embarrassing.

trailer

A few points.

1) The lockdown isn't as effective as it should be because a significant amount of people cannot be locked down. Key workers (who are usually the lowest paid) It should be called the "rich work from home."

2) Again the effectiveness is compromised as there is little or no contact testing. Testing itself is minimal. The authorities are unable to say with conviction what the spread of the virus looks like. Testing is key. It's not being done. Therefore the lockdown is probably only about 50% effective to what it should be.

3) There is no quarantining of people arriving into the UK or Ireland. So a second, third, fourth wave is inevitable. Is a 6. 9 or 12 month lockdown viable?

4) People have lost confidence in what appears to be a hugely incompetent response from CMOs, Scientists and Gov.

5) Was on the roads this morning - they are definitely busier. The game is up unless governments publish an exit plan.

6) If anything comes out of this, maybe people will start to question so called "Experts" and by extension Ministers who are hiding behind bullshit lines like "we will be guided by science" It's a f**king copout that translates as "I have no idea what I am doing and I am in a job role far beyond my ability"

7) A vaccine is the solution. Until then we have to live with it. So sensible measures, social distancing, protect the vulnerable. It's the only way forward as our Local and National governments are unable to help.

armaghniac

Quote from: trailer on April 28, 2020, 10:13:23 AM
2) Again the effectiveness is compromised as there is little or no contact testing. Testing itself is minimal. The authorities are unable to say with conviction what the spread of the virus looks like. Testing is key. It's not being done. Therefore the lockdown is probably only about 50% effective to what it should be

testing rates in the 26 counties are respectable and open to people with symptoms from today. Testing is the way forward, as vaccines and even therapies take time
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Rudi

A disiciplined approach to herd immunity, something like what the Swedes are doing seems the best approach to me. We have many advantages, we are an Island, not densely populated & a part from a small ethnic minority we are a reasonably disiciplined / compliant society.

Rudi

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on April 28, 2020, 05:46:39 AM
Why do some people feel the need to become armchair experts on this virus and play down its seriousness in contradiction to what qualified medical professionals are saying? Do they just enjoy being contrary for contrariness' sake? Do they think it makes them sound clever? "I'll show them smart-assed PhDs a thing or two! I've got a PhD from the University of Life! I've got more common sense than the rest of them put together! I see their data and I raise them a non-representative but bloody convincing anecdote!"

Why do they do it? What do they hope to gain from it? I would really like to know.

This is the fooking Gaaboard not a scientific journal, do you read any newpapers, they are all full of crap much worse than what is wrote here. People have opinions much like yourself, they are allowed to post un-moderated here. I mean lads calling other lads c***ts on a daily basis here, without the use of text to back up their arguements.
Considerable number of people who end up in top positions in this country are bluffers / c**k suckers. The best don't make it to the top, for a country who went into partial/ full lockdown early on, we are not performing well. The care/ nursing homes were handled poorly as I said from very early days, amount of people in Chel - ham, airports were a mess, PPE could have being made here, instead of getting chit from China. Again I'M no expert just a lad ranting/ spouting chit on gaaboard.