Yes he said it Ed
Am I missing something here?

Ed Ricketts

Quote from: five points on April 23, 2020, 10:08:06 PM
Quote from: Ed Ricketts on April 23, 2020, 06:48:14 PM
Quote from: five points on April 23, 2020, 05:43:17 PM
Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on April 23, 2020, 05:10:33 PM
Quote from: Smurfy123 on April 23, 2020, 04:29:15 PM
Time to get this thing going again whilst keeping social distancing in place where possible.

Please stop. Your coming across like a fukkin redneck american.

Whenever there are either:
-- antibody tests available in significant numbers or
-- significant actively infected weekly test rates
then it makes sense to look at relaxing measures as you've the information to quickly guide the effect of any relaxation before its too late.

Before that point, doing something stupid could easily kill tens of thousands of people.

I agree with him. It's beyond a joke at this stage.

People not even getting cancer treatment because they're afraid to go to the hospital.

Families losing children and nobody allowed to go to funerals.

People in their 80s and 90s living alone  who haven't been in the same room as another human being for almost a month. Many of whom have not long to live in any event.

We are human beings, not robots. We cannot live like robots without massive and permanent damage.

Enough.

What you're really after here is an end to the virus, not an end to the lockdown.

All of the issues mentioned above would be made worse by opening things up and letting the virus run riot. More stalled cancer treatment, more dead kids, more locked away vulnerable old people.

There might be a cold hard economic argument for ending the lockdown, but it's just bizarre to try to use public health issues as reasons to do so.
You miss the obvious point that the lockdown will not get rid of the virus, it just postpones it until the health service can adapt to the rush in demand. The lockdown if continued over the summer will merely  push more cases into next winter.

Dunno about you but whenever I get it, I'd prefer not to have it in the dead of winter.

The lockdown restrictions will ease as infection rates fall to a manageable level. This is pretty obvious.

The lockdown restrictions will not ease just because some lads are getting a bit fed up with the situation and start wishing for things to go back to normal. This is also pretty obvious.
Doc would listen to any kind of nonsense and change it for you to a kind of wisdom.

Ed Ricketts

Quote from: Smurfy123 on April 23, 2020, 10:43:37 PM
Yes he said it Ed

Yeah, you seem to be missing about half the words in your original claim. The ones highlighted below:

Quote from: Smurfy123 on April 23, 2020, 06:45:20 PM
Remember Robbie Swann predicted 15000 deaths even with lockdown.

It's clear his was a worst case scenario, not a 'predicted' one.

It's also clear this figure was arrived at on the assumption of no lockdown.
Doc would listen to any kind of nonsense and change it for you to a kind of wisdom.

gallsman

Quote from: trailer on April 23, 2020, 09:55:50 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on April 23, 2020, 09:46:14 PM
No one ever said 15k in ni. Sure they said if they were doing well 20k in the uk(though that ship has obviously sailed). I think Swann said 3k.

We need to get back to something at some point in the not that distant future but it needs to be very controlled. You can see more businesses opening even after initial lockdown period - e.g. b and q and numerous takeaways which were shut are becoming available. I think slowly more will open.

Good to see the psni can't make up reasons on the spot to fine people now too. They were a bit "discretionary".

Swann said 15k.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/coronavirus-northern-ireland-cases-death-toll-health-minister-a9412706.html

That was a worst case scenario where nobody follows public health guidelines.

RadioGAAGAA

I guess some people are just so f**king stupid they cannot see what was happening in Italy and the trajectory of things before they brought in a complete lockdown.

Freedumb indeed.
i usse an speelchekor

gallsman

Quote from: Smurfy123 on April 23, 2020, 10:43:37 PM
Yes he said it Ed

As shown, you're "missing" nothing, except perhaps a few brain cells What you're doing is attempting to peddle misinformation and hoping that people are stupid enough to miss the detail in your calculated nonsense.

Milltown Row2

Arlene on the view, nut job
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

trailer

People already giving up. Roads busier. Saw lots of teenagers together. Older people out and about. The  game is up. This isn't a solution. Proper sensible measures, but let's get back to work.

trailer

Quote from: screenexile on April 23, 2020, 10:06:18 PM
What's your problem??

You've made a claim and I've asked you to back it up it's not that difficult!!

When this comes to pass, I'll count up the numbers and send them to you. Until then brush up on English tenses.

trailer

Facts.

There isn't enough tests
There won't be enough tests
The virus is everywhere
We (or at least our Government) cannot come up with a sensible plan
A vaccine is at best is 18months away
We must learn to live with it

In a different world we'd have a competent government with a competent CMO who knew what to do. But we don't. Sitting at home is not a long term solution.

Liberate the 6 counties!!! (Tongue in cheek)

Smurfy123

Have to agree with trailer
Yes we slow the curve
This is not a long term solution
The virus is here to stay until we get a vaccine
We need to change the way we now go about things in life
Social distancing
If sick isolate
Wash hands
We need to open up the shops and offices
I need to get back to work

Hereiam

The roads were definitely busier this evening.

HiMucker

Quote from: trailer on April 23, 2020, 11:19:17 PM
People already giving up. Roads busier. Saw lots of teenagers together. Older people out and about. The  game is up. This isn't a solution. Proper sensible measures, but let's get back to work.
Right you have said that a few times now. What'does that mean? My understanding is that if your work place is able to introduce social distancing measures there is no reason why you shouldn't be working. Obviously workplaces that are interacting with the public in a big way are more risky and would need to be looked at once certain conditions are met, like retail etc. So given the current position we are in, what sectors should be back to work who are not? It just seems like you're wiilling it to be back to normal without any clear logical rationale?

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: trailer on April 23, 2020, 11:19:17 PM

"Lets get brexit done"

You'll have to do better than that.
i usse an speelchekor

HiMucker

Quote from: trailer on April 23, 2020, 11:31:22 PM
Facts.

There isn't enough tests correct

There won't be enough tests Why not? There is currently a lot of resource and money being pumped in to make this happen. Whether it is or will be enough is debatable or remains to be seen

The virus is everywhere without widespread testing its impossible to know that

We (or at least our Government) cannot come up with a sensible plan There is a plan, but unfortunately it has a massive economic impact and a massive societal one as well. No plan would have a much larger  economic, societal and healthcare impact. Seems that you think the cure is worse than the poison?

A vaccine is at best is 18months away I'd say thats accurate

We must learn to live with it Yes, thats correct, and involves long term social distancing measures until a vaccine is found, or the virus is brought under control, or we risk the collapse of the health service, large scale deaths and all the major societal and economic impacts that entails

In a different world we'd have a competent government with a competent CMO who knew what to do. But we don't. Sitting at home is not a long term solution. You might not want it to be the long term solution, but the social distancing measures is probably the only way of dealing with this until there is a vaccine or it is brought under control. 

Liberate the 6 counties!!! (Tongue in cheek)