China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gallsman

Quote from: Smurfy123 on April 23, 2020, 07:57:05 PM
Yes Gallsman
What's the problem with that

Just seems a bit implausible to be honest.

armaghniac

Quote from: Smurfy123 on April 23, 2020, 06:45:20 PM
So what do you expect until a vaccine is ready?
The quickest vaccine ever made was 4 years! EVER
The deaths in the north have been relatively low
Remember Robbie Swann predicted 15000 deaths even with lockdown.
Now he is saying 1500 maximum

This really takes the biscuit, you are using the success of the measures as a reason not to have the measures. 

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

trailer

Unless the restrictions are relaxed the country is going to be an awful mess. There'll be more dead from suicide, malnutrition, bankruptcy, and other untreated diseases than there will be of Coronavirus.
Maintain sensible social distancing rules but let's get back to work. 

armaghniac

Quote from: trailer on April 23, 2020, 08:15:27 PM
Unless the restrictions are relaxed the country is going to be an awful mess. There'll be more dead from suicide, malnutrition, bankruptcy, and other untreated diseases than there will be of Coronavirus.

Yes, of course. But we can't all go back to work until employers ensure that they have safe workplaces.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

clarshack

Couldn't agree more.

screenexile

Will there??? What figures are you basing this on??

imtommygunn

No one ever said 15k in ni. Sure they said if they were doing well 20k in the uk(though that ship has obviously sailed). I think Swann said 3k.

We need to get back to something at some point in the not that distant future but it needs to be very controlled. You can see more businesses opening even after initial lockdown period - e.g. b and q and numerous takeaways which were shut are becoming available. I think slowly more will open.

Good to see the psni can't make up reasons on the spot to fine people now too. They were a bit "discretionary".

trailer

Quote from: imtommygunn on April 23, 2020, 09:46:14 PM
No one ever said 15k in ni. Sure they said if they were doing well 20k in the uk(though that ship has obviously sailed). I think Swann said 3k.

We need to get back to something at some point in the not that distant future but it needs to be very controlled. You can see more businesses opening even after initial lockdown period - e.g. b and q and numerous takeaways which were shut are becoming available. I think slowly more will open.

Good to see the psni can't make up reasons on the spot to fine people now too. They were a bit "discretionary".

Swann said 15k.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/coronavirus-northern-ireland-cases-death-toll-health-minister-a9412706.html

trailer

Quote from: screenexile on April 23, 2020, 09:43:07 PM

Will there??? What figures are you basing this on??

f**k me.

screenexile

What's your problem??

You've made a claim and I've asked you to back it up it's not that difficult!!

imtommygunn

;D

You haven't read any of this guy's posts before then lol.

five points

Quote from: Ed Ricketts on April 23, 2020, 06:48:14 PM
Quote from: five points on April 23, 2020, 05:43:17 PM
Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on April 23, 2020, 05:10:33 PM
Quote from: Smurfy123 on April 23, 2020, 04:29:15 PM
Time to get this thing going again whilst keeping social distancing in place where possible.

Please stop. Your coming across like a fukkin redneck american.

Whenever there are either:
-- antibody tests available in significant numbers or
-- significant actively infected weekly test rates
then it makes sense to look at relaxing measures as you've the information to quickly guide the effect of any relaxation before its too late.

Before that point, doing something stupid could easily kill tens of thousands of people.

I agree with him. It's beyond a joke at this stage.

People not even getting cancer treatment because they're afraid to go to the hospital.

Families losing children and nobody allowed to go to funerals.

People in their 80s and 90s living alone  who haven't been in the same room as another human being for almost a month. Many of whom have not long to live in any event.

We are human beings, not robots. We cannot live like robots without massive and permanent damage.

Enough.

What you're really after here is an end to the virus, not an end to the lockdown.

All of the issues mentioned above would be made worse by opening things up and letting the virus run riot. More stalled cancer treatment, more dead kids, more locked away vulnerable old people.

There might be a cold hard economic argument for ending the lockdown, but it's just bizarre to try to use public health issues as reasons to do so.
You miss the obvious point that the lockdown will not get rid of the virus, it just postpones it until the health service can adapt to the rush in demand. The lockdown if continued over the summer will merely  push more cases into next winter.

Dunno about you but whenever I get it, I'd prefer not to have it in the dead of winter.

Hereiam

The banks have to start doing more for people. The mortgage & loan payments etc need to be paused for everyone, no holiday just paused. These shower are calling the shots and the governments are doing their bidding. The virus isn't my biggest worry it the dam payments to the bank, another month of this and the work I am in will dry up.

Smurfy123

The scientist in England also said yesterday that the closure of schools was not that important.
No affect whatsoever on the data coming through that it made a difference
Work that out
Robbie Swann said 15k

Ed Ricketts

Quote from: Smurfy123 on April 23, 2020, 06:45:20 PM
So what do you expect until a vaccine is ready?
The quickest vaccine ever made was 4 years! EVER
The deaths in the north have been relatively low
Remember Robbie Swann predicted 15000 deaths even with lockdown.
Now he is saying 1500 maximum

Quote from: Smurfy123 on April 23, 2020, 10:22:28 PM
Robbie Swann said 15k

You're telling fibs. Here's what Swann said:

"If we fail as a community to take the necessary action to slow down the transmission of the virus, up to 80% of the Northern Ireland population could be infected during this pandemic," he stated.

"If all the public health advice is ignored, in a worst case nightmare scenario and with a fatality rate of 1%, then that could mean up to 14,000 to 15,000 lives lost."

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/health/coronavirus/coronavirus-15000-could-die-as-ni-faces-a-surge-of-biblical-proportions-warns-health-minister-swann-39059630.html
Doc would listen to any kind of nonsense and change it for you to a kind of wisdom.