China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

Yeah a doctor mate was saying basically 2 weeks after a load of positive tests is when you could start to see shit hitting fan. The problem with predictability on that is that the testing regime from 2 weeks ago was drastically different to 4 weeks ago etc etc hence why they had to prep for large surges in ICU/deaths etc which haven't necessarily happened (yet anyway).

I would expect a long time before it goes to zero but would expect lockdown to end if significant drop off rather than zero.

Taylor

Quote from: Smurfy123 on April 21, 2020, 02:36:29 PM
Im not saying to open pubs now. But soon
Everything was running as normal 5 weeks ago when it was spreading in the north and it has not been to bad let's be real about that
Reopen things now with strict measures in place
Retail shops
Building sites
Offices
Schools (1/2 per week spread out over the week with different classes/years)

Have you been to a shop recently to get groceries? People all over each other. Have you been out for a walk recently? People walking everywhere you look.

All I am saying is things need to start moving again or more lives will be lost from the aftermath than the virus. Mark my words

Im not sure if you are just on the wind up or serious smurf.....but anyway

Pubs will be one of the last to open - definitely not soon. 2m metres apart with a crowd of drunk lads. Lack of cleanliness in toilets. Pissed up lads lifting the wrong drink........countless things to spread virus.

Offices - majority of people in offices pay by the square metre - who is going to pay for all of the extra space that is needed for physical distancing?

Everything was running as normal 5 weeks ago when it was spreading in the north and it has not been to bad let's be real about that as for this - you do realise the reason it isnt as bad now dont you?
90% of deaths had underlying issues - imagine how many deaths if there was no lockdown

five points

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on April 21, 2020, 03:10:32 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 21, 2020, 02:28:58 PM
You'd have to go back to the Great Depression to get figures for that, or Brexit, hows that going at the minute?

I wonder how long it will take  ::)

Well then you can't state it as a certainty!

Either there is evidence or there isn't.

Plenty of evidence in Greece I'd imagine. I personally know people who died as a result of the 2008 collapse here and what happened them happened to lots of others too.

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Smurfy123

I am not for a second winding up. Yes I agree pubs should be the last thing to open and will be.
But my point is things need to start moving again and life needs to start operation not as normal but a step in the right direction. Every takeaway around my area is now opened again after a few weeks been closed. I was in one on Saturday night and little or no social distancing measures in place.
Now what's the difference in takeaways opening and a retail shop?
Public transport on the go still. 15 people on a bus

trailer

Need to get everything back ASAP or there'll be nothing to go back to.

I've said it before but the figures are a mess. If they're worse than stated then ok perhaps we should continue lockdown but they're accurate then let's start to relax restrictions.

johnnycool

Quote from: trailer on April 21, 2020, 04:24:11 PM

I've said it before but the figures are a mess. If they're worse than stated then ok perhaps we should continue lockdown but they're accurate then let's start to relax restrictions.

In the UK?

Even Andrew Neil is estimating that the UK death toll is nearer 24K than what they announce as hospital deaths every day!

https://twitter.com/afneil/status/1252609977417695234

Even here in NI we're not sure of the impact on the Care sector as we'll only know more this friday due to the delay.

ONeill

Was driving through Crumlin today and it was just like any other day apart from pubs being closed. Nearly sure I saw shadows in there too. Thriving.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: ONeill on April 21, 2020, 04:41:12 PM
Was driving through Crumlin today and it was just like any other day apart from pubs being closed. Nearly sure I saw shadows in there too. Thriving.

Bottles only I'd say.

trailer

Quote from: johnnycool on April 21, 2020, 04:35:38 PM

In the UK?

Even Andrew Neil is estimating that the UK death toll is nearer 24K than what they announce as hospital deaths every day!

Even here in NI we're not sure of the impact on the Care sector as we'll only know more this friday due to the delay.

Figures need quantified. How many ppl normally die? What are the age groups? Do they have underlying conditions? What's our NHS capacity?
Can we ease restrictions in certain areas? I'm not suggesting opening pubs and clubs, but non essential shops, garden centres etc. Sensible restrictions must remain, but we need to get economy going as well.

Rossfan

Reports going around that mass gatherings are banned till August at the earliest.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

armaghniac

Quote from: Rossfan on April 21, 2020, 05:20:54 PM
Reports going around that mass gatherings are banned till August at the earliest.

is that 2020 or 2021?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

J70

Quote from: trailer on April 21, 2020, 04:50:06 PM
Quote from: johnnycool on April 21, 2020, 04:35:38 PM

In the UK?

Figures need quantified. How many ppl normally die? What are the age groups? Do they have underlying conditions? What's our NHS capacity?
Can we ease restrictions in certain areas? I'm not suggesting opening pubs and clubs, but non essential shops, garden centres etc. Sensible restrictions must remain, but we need to get economy going as well.

From NY Times today:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/04/21/world/coronavirus-missing-deaths.html?action=click&module=Top%20Stories&pgtype=Homepage

England and Wales, 33% excess deaths in a month; Spain 66%, NYC, nearly 300%

MayoBuck

No licences to be given for events of more than 5,000 people until September at earliest https://jrnl.ie/5080226

joemamas

Quote from: MayoBuck on April 21, 2020, 05:56:39 PM
No licences to be given for events of more than 5,000 people until September at earliest https://jrnl.ie/5080226

Ah well, I suppose it was to be expected, still the reality of no gaelic games in 2020 really sucks.