China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

balladmaker

Quote from: imtommygunn on April 13, 2020, 09:56:30 PM
You can't but you can at least listen to who advice and do as much testing as you can. That is before the ppe debacle. Then there is contact tracing. Then your media can highlight it rather than fawning over you lying sheister of a prime minister. (I wished him no ill but he is the second worst man you could have in charge of a country at a time like this and we all know who the worst is).

I am not an expert just appalled at how broken the UK has become between politicians and media.

+1.  I find the media reporting of the British situation to be awful, seems like the government own all of the media messaging.  Sky and BBC seem to spend more time reporting the ongoings in Italy, Spain and New York, rather than the headline grabber of 11,000 of their own citizens dead and the UK on a trajectory to become the worst hit country in Europe.  Meanwhile in Germany a professional and competent government are taking the necessary measures to protect their citizens. 

There needs to be a public enquiry in the UK as to the government's mishandling of the COVID-19 crisis, where they've caused 1000's of their citizens to die, but alas, I cannot envisage the PM or government in general ever having to answer any such questions.  Shambolic, and downright sad for all those and their families who've lost their lives due to Boris's herd immunity policy!!!

Rudi

Interested to see how the Swedes fair out long term. Think it may be the best approach.  A disciplined society where the over 70s and vulnerable isolate and the healthly part of the population go about their daily activities in a disciplined manner,  could in the long term be the best approach. Lockdowns in the medium to long term are just not practical.

imtommygunn

Exactly and that is not anti British sentiment. The number of lives lost speak for themselves. Heads should roll for this and lots of them.  Italy had no forewarning really. The uk had.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Rudi on April 13, 2020, 10:07:12 PM
Interested to see how the Swedes fair out long term. Think it may be the best approach.  A disciplined society where the over 70s and vulnerable isolate and the healthly part of the population go about their daily activities in a disciplined manner,  could in the long term be the best approach. Lockdowns in the medium to long term are just not practical.

And then again it may not be. Taking a roll of the dice with thousands of your citizens' lives is a bit of a reckless strategy IMHO.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Captain Obvious on April 13, 2020, 10:12:09 PM
https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/coronavirus-concerns-in-northern-ireland-over-under-reported-deaths-1.4227765?mode=amp

Surely with social media the way it is, these deaths that aren't being recorded (according to the doctor in this report) would be highlighted plus (I'd asked before) what goes on the  death certificates for Covid deaths?

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Itchy

As bad as Boris is, this fella a whole different level of stupid.

https://twitter.com/Otto_English/status/1249743660138233858?s=19

Milltown Row2

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

HiMucker

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 13, 2020, 10:59:40 PM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on April 13, 2020, 10:12:09 PM
https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/coronavirus-concerns-in-northern-ireland-over-under-reported-deaths-1.4227765?mode=amp

Surely with social media the way it is, these deaths that aren't being recorded (according to the doctor in this report) would be highlighted plus (I'd asked before) what goes on the  death certificates for Covid deaths?
Death certicates can state covid 19 as cause of death. But only positive tests are counted in the UK figures. This has been stated numerous times in press briefings etc. The daily death total is likely double. The stats will be poured over in the months and years ahead.

bennydorano

Quote from: balladmaker on April 13, 2020, 10:03:42 PM
You can't but you can at least listen to who advice and do as much testing as you can. That is before the ppe debacle. Then there is contact tracing. Then your media can highlight it rather than fawning over you lying sheister of a prime minister. (I wished him no ill but he is the second worst man you could have in charge of a country at a time like this and we all know who the worst is).

I am not an expert just appalled at how broken the UK has become between politicians and media.

+1.  I find the media reporting of the British situation to be awful, seems like the government own all of the media messaging.  Sky and BBC seem to spend more time reporting the ongoings in Italy, Spain and New York, rather than the headline grabber of 11,000 of their own citizens dead and the UK on a trajectory to become the worst hit country in Europe.  Meanwhile in Germany a professional and competent government are taking the necessary measures to protect their citizens. 

There needs to be a public enquiry in the UK as to the government's mishandling of the COVID-19 crisis, where they've caused 1000's of their citizens to die, but alas, I cannot envisage the PM or government in general ever having to answer any such questions.  Shambolic, and downright sad for all those and their families who've lost their lives due to Boris's herd immunity policy!!!
Public enquiries all over the world are a certainty (I wouldn't be so confident of a Trump backed US one tbh) Part of the procedure of Government for such an occurrence. It'll be cross party in the UK too.

Taylor

Quote from: bennydorano on April 14, 2020, 07:51:03 AM
Quote from: balladmaker on April 13, 2020, 10:03:42 PM

Public enquiries all over the world are a certainty (I wouldn't be so confident of a Trump backed US one tbh) Part of the procedure of Government for such an occurrence. It'll be cross party in the UK too.

Lets be honest it was the same for the Brexit vote - the media pushed the governments agenda.

Its amazing that Piers Morgan seems to be the only journalist/presenter holding the government to account.

I have no love for him but at least he is asking the right questions - was reading at the weekend that most government ministers wont even go on his breakfast show.

imtommygunn

They seem to be held to account for nothing. At this point the daily mail and the sun should just be shut down.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: imtommygunn on April 14, 2020, 08:13:28 AM
They seem to be held to account for nothing. At this point the daily mail and the sun should just be shut down.

Think there is a go fund me doing the rounds to save both papers at the moment.

Tony Baloney

ONS have stitched on another 2000 deaths in England and Wales on top of those announced by the government (to 3rd Apr).

upmonaghansayswe

Quote from: Tony Baloney on April 14, 2020, 09:48:35 AM
ONS have stitched on another 2000 deaths in England and Wales on top of those announced by the government (to 3rd Apr).

Just trying to get figures from the BBC website (which is an exercise in itself)

Main Blog
Of the 406 deaths involving Covid-19 in England and Wales registered in the year up to April 3, that occurred outside hospitals:

217 took place in care homes
33 in hospices
136 in homes
3 in other communal establishments, and
17 elsewhere

Is there more splitting going on or where is the 2000 coming from?

Edit - 10% of the total deaths at any stage..