China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

I'm merely refuting a claim that people on here were "wanting the UK " to have more deaths than elsewhere.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Cunny Funt

992 additional cases confirmed today in the ROI, 527 new confirmed cases from Irish labs.
465 confirmed in German labs. Total confirmed cases in ROI is now at 10,647.

31 deaths today, 365 people have now died in the ROI since the outbreak began.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 13, 2020, 12:35:43 PM
Quote from: Itchy on April 13, 2020, 10:19:28 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 12, 2020, 06:50:32 PM
Quote from: Itchy on April 12, 2020, 05:53:22 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 12, 2020, 03:41:57 PM
Quote from: lenny on April 12, 2020, 03:37:41 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on April 12, 2020, 03:24:09 PM
All these comparisons are absolutely futile. London has almost 10 million residents made up of people from all parts of the globe, higher population density, massive public transport network, has 2 major international airport hubs etc. etc. It's like me comparing the cases in Armagh to those in Dublin. A load of balls.

Comparisons are not futile at all. Germany has several large cities of over a million and with plenty of immigrants. They also have a larger population than the uk. They have many, many fewer deaths. That is enough to show the uk have handled this crisis very poorly.

Jesus lads, seriously? Tell us one more time they've handled it poorly!

I know you are a closet admirer of British rule but the purpose of that twitter post was to point out how the British media has done nothing to point out the facts of what has happened, to put pressure on their government to improve. It is still very relevant. For example, you have to dig a bit to find the total deaths in the UK on a particular day, yet a few weeks ago when Italy was really in the shit the BBC and others had their deaths sprayed across the top of their home pages. The British media are not holding their government to account which is pathetic, even by their very low standards.

I've seen plenty of quotes and watched plenty news were people in the UK have stated the same facts that have been pointed out infinity on here, that horse bolted after the allowing of PL games and the lower divisions, the CL game in Liverpool and Cheltenham! The herd immunity thing was more bullshit but the horse had bolted, the BBC is no different to FOX news and most media owners will dictate what's said based on their own needs!

The tweets won't change any course of this, it's a blame game which is totally meaningless, the lockdown is going into fourth week on Tuesday, not much more you can do really. But sure carry on with it. Don't forget to remind me about how inept the Brits are please. In case I forget ;D

As for your dig on bring a closet admirer of the brits that would fit well with you free staters when yas abandoned the North, but hey, I'm as Irish you.  ;)

It's not meaningless to report facts and hold government to account, it's one of the primary jobs of media and certainly it's most important. If you look at this and think that is actually happening, well the only  conclusion I can draw is that you are looking at this through Brit tinted glasses, perhaps a form of Stockholm Syndrome. When you call a fellow Ulsterman a freestater like proud unionists do I think that is confirmed.

Continue to call me a Brit and I'll call you a freestater. That's simple enough to work out.

The fascination with the UK government and their policies, which have no bearing on people that live in the Republic is curious, you shouldn't have to hold them to account (the Dublin government has plenty issues to resolve) we've been trying to do that since, well you know the history there.

It's a pointless task and asking the tv media to do it is never really going to cut it, the tabloid press back in the day would have but I don't read papers anymore so I don't know if they do, I watch a bit Peston every now and again and he generally does, Paxman when he was going was good also.

If you can point out somewhere or put up a post that I'm supporting the brits then maybe your Stockholm syndrome might be right.

I try and work to a day by day approach for disasters, Brexit, Covid, Jobs I can't predict the future and I'll deal with the problem when it arrives on my doorstep. You're trying to solve problems that aren't even in your own county! Why would you be bothered?

Remember Irish governments kicking up a stink about Sellafield? It's a bit like that.

Rossfan

Viruses don't do borders :-\
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

RadioGAAGAA

The tweets won't change any course of this, it's a blame game which is totally meaningless, the lockdown is going into fourth week on Tuesday, not much more you can do really. But sure carry on with it. Don't forget to remind me about how inept the Brits are please. In case I forget ;D

There are quite a few things that the UK govt could still change that would help matters.

- PPE into nursing homes to try and stop spread within the homes..
- Much greater testing in nursing homes of both carers and cared for so carers are not carrying the virus in the door.
- Creating a layer of separation between all workers in nursing homes and the general population, i.e. they get food drops at their home doorstep rather than run the gaunlet at the shops. Would it really be beyond the wit of man to place them on high priority lists for all the main supermarkets?
- If they don't have sufficient testing capabilities to filter the country (which is fair enough at the moment), then pick out areas, be they counties or something else and one by one try to test everyone in the county/region to the point you know who has it, who doesn't and can ease local lockdowns and get small parts of the economy going again.

Of course, it suits the govt agenda to portray it as "everything that can be done, is being done" - when that patently is not the case.
i usse an speelchekor

Itchy

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 13, 2020, 12:35:43 PM
Quote from: Itchy on April 13, 2020, 10:19:28 AM
Quote from: Itchy on April 12, 2020, 05:53:22 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 12, 2020, 03:41:57 PM
Quote from: lenny on April 12, 2020, 03:37:41 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on April 12, 2020, 03:24:09 PM
All these comparisons are absolutely futile. London has almost 10 million residents made up of people from all parts of the globe, higher population density, massive public transport network, has 2 major international airport hubs etc. etc. It's like me comparing the cases in Armagh to those in Dublin. A load of balls.

Comparisons are not futile at all. Germany has several large cities of over a million and with plenty of immigrants. They also have a larger population than the uk. They have many, many fewer deaths. That is enough to show the uk have handled this crisis very poorly.

Jesus lads, seriously? Tell us one more time they've handled it poorly!

I know you are a closet admirer of British rule but the purpose of that twitter post was to point out how the British media has done nothing to point out the facts of what has happened, to put pressure on their government to improve. It is still very relevant. For example, you have to dig a bit to find the total deaths in the UK on a particular day, yet a few weeks ago when Italy was really in the shit the BBC and others had their deaths sprayed across the top of their home pages. The British media are not holding their government to account which is pathetic, even by their very low standards.

I've seen plenty of quotes and watched plenty news were people in the UK have stated the same facts that have been pointed out infinity on here, that horse bolted after the allowing of PL games and the lower divisions, the CL game in Liverpool and Cheltenham! The herd immunity thing was more bullshit but the horse had bolted, the BBC is no different to FOX news and most media owners will dictate what's said based on their own needs!

As for your dig on bring a closet admirer of the brits that would fit well with you free staters when yas abandoned the North, but hey, I'm as Irish you.  ;)

It's not meaningless to report facts and hold government to account, it's one of the primary jobs of media and certainly it's most important. If you look at this and think that is actually happening, well the only  conclusion I can draw is that you are looking at this through Brit tinted glasses, perhaps a form of Stockholm Syndrome. When you call a fellow Ulsterman a freestater like proud unionists do I think that is confirmed.

Continue to call me a Brit and I'll call you a freestater. That's simple enough to work out.

The fascination with the UK government and their policies, which have no bearing on people that live in the Republic is curious, you shouldn't have to hold them to account (the Dublin government has plenty issues to resolve) we've been trying to do that since, well you know the history there.

It's a pointless task and asking the tv media to do it is never really going to cut it, the tabloid press back in the day would have but I don't read papers anymore so I don't know if they do, I watch a bit Peston every now and again and he generally does, Paxman when he was going was good also.

If you can point out somewhere or put up a post that I'm supporting the brits then maybe your Stockholm syndrome might be right.

I try and work to a day by day approach for disasters, Brexit, Covid, Jobs I can't predict the future and I'll deal with the problem when it arrives on my doorstep. You're trying to solve problems that aren't even in your own county! Why would you be bothered?

You call me a Freestater because  I called you a Brit? Where did I call you a Brit? I've never called any Irishman a Brit in my life, even unionists. I said you were a closet admirer of British rule.

And you cant be that stupid to think Boris and his band of fools and their mess ups have no effect on the republic? It effects irish citizens in the Britain, it affects irish citizens in the 6 counties and since no virus stops at  borders it also will effect people in the Republic.

Tony Baloney

Question re. nursing homes. I know a lot of these people are vulnerable to start off with so why are they not being sent to hospital when they have symptoms? Someone online said they being allowed to die in homes to save the NHS (and younger victims).

armaghniac

Quote from: Tony Baloney on April 13, 2020, 08:43:40 PM
Question re. nursing homes. I know a lot of these people are vulnerable to start off with so why are they not being sent to hospital when they have symptoms? Someone online said they being allowed to die in homes to save the NHS (and younger victims).

Because hospitals have no real treatment for Covid19, other than oxygen, which can be provided in the nursing home. The heavy duty ventilator approaches are not suitable for frail octogenarians.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Milltown Row2

Over 3,000 have gird in nursing homes in the UK. That was the stat last night, be a lot more plus workers in those places must be freaking out everyday they go to work
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

There were stories doing the rounds in Italy and Spain that there were old peoples homes where the staff just legged it and the army had to come in. How true that is I don't know but you could well believe it

armaghniac

Quote from: imtommygunn on April 13, 2020, 09:26:52 PM
There were stories doing the rounds in Italy and Spain that there were old peoples homes where the staff just legged it and the army had to come in. How true that is I don't know but you could well believe it

There is some truth to that. But staff in these places had little or no PPE, a lot of them came down with the virus and had to isolate, so things became increasingly impossible for those left. In most cases they didn't just leg it, but had been calling for help for many days. These types of homes are a real point of vulnerability and places that have kept the deaths down have had a plan for such places.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

imtommygunn

Quote from: armaghniac on April 13, 2020, 09:39:10 PM

There is some truth to that. But staff in these places had little or no PPE, a lot of them came down with the virus and had to isolate, so things became increasingly impossible for those left. In most cases they didn't just leg it, but had been calling for help for many days. These types of homes are a real point of vulnerability and places that have kept the deaths down have had a plan for such places.

Yeah just look at the GP situation up here now too. You wouldn't blame them for not wanting to work in that.

Jeepers Creepers

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/world-europe-52014023

Also watched some distressing scenes from Ecuador on the news last night. People have to keep bodies at home for days on end as there was no collection service or coffins/ burial services.

Milltown Row2

How could you plan for this? I never heard one expert on here discuss it other that the SARS, Bird flu and other virus attacks which were not global to this extent.

Unfortunately it takes something like this to change mindsets. Everyone,  every country it seems was caught out
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

You can't but you can at least listen to who advice and do as much testing as you can. That is before the ppe debacle. Then there is contact tracing. Then your media can highlight it rather than fawning over you lying sheister of a prime minister. (I wished him no ill but he is the second worst man you could have in charge of a country at a time like this and we all know who the worst is).

I am not an expert just appalled at how broken the UK has become between politicians and media.