China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

If we can flatten things over the next 3 weeks we might get out of this with a lesser predicted number.

Over 100 in the north and 334 in the south! Over 400 lives lost and not yet at our peak.

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Saffrongael

I am starting to look less and less at the "graphs" as we don't seem to be comparing apples with apples for a lot of countries, are all countries just including deaths where Covid19 is the cause of death, if you die "with" Covid 19, of you die because of Covid19 etc. It seemed pretty straightforward at the start, as if we were looking at a football league table but it's a lot more complex

I don't think we will know for quite some time how each country dealt with the pandemic
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

Eamonnca1

armaghniac

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

J70

Ed Ricketts

Quote from: imtommygunn on April 12, 2020, 06:10:37 PM
The biggest letdown is the bbc. Journalism in the uk is more or less dead and this illustrates it.

UK press has been neutered to some extent in the last couple of weeks by Johnson's illness. Any attack on his government's approach to things is an attack on his leadership. And it doesn't play well to appear to be going after a man on his sickbed (even his deathbed, as it maybe seemed for a short while).

The timing of his illness will probably be Johnson's saviour at the end of all this. He has managed to escape the scene just before the shit really began to hit the fan, and will likely ride back into town when things begin to pick up. A 'lucky' man in more ways than one.
Doc would listen to any kind of nonsense and change it for you to a kind of wisdom.

bennydorano

As Alaistair Campbell has been pointing out over recent days, the format of the N10 briefings suits the Government, but the questions being asked are being asked badly, they're generally 3 Qs in 1 and are leaving way too much wiggle room. He reckons the Qs need to be singular and on point.

RedHand88

Quote from: bennydorano on April 13, 2020, 09:07:58 AM
As Alaistair Campbell has been pointing out over recent days, the format of the N10 briefings suits the Government, but the questions being asked are being asked badly, they're generally 3 Qs in 1 and are leaving way too much wiggle room. He reckons the Qs need to be singular and on point.

Ive noticed this myself. Its easy to not answer a part you dont like when there are two other parts.

imtommygunn

Quote from: Ed Ricketts on April 13, 2020, 01:47:50 AM
Quote from: imtommygunn on April 12, 2020, 06:10:37 PM
The biggest letdown is the bbc. Journalism in the uk is more or less dead and this illustrates it.

UK press has been neutered to some extent in the last couple of weeks by Johnson's illness. Any attack on his government's approach to things is an attack on his leadership. And it doesn't play well to appear to be going after a man on his sickbed (even his deathbed, as it maybe seemed for a short while).

The timing of his illness will probably be Johnson's saviour at the end of all this. He has managed to escape the scene just before the shit really began to hit the fan, and will likely ride back into town when things begin to pick up. A 'lucky' man in more ways than one.

I still see people doing believe him. Thoroughly untrustworthy though I think this time he may be telling the truth. I can see why people wouldn't believe anything to come out of his mouth though.

Itchy

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 12, 2020, 06:50:32 PM
Quote from: Itchy on April 12, 2020, 05:53:22 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 12, 2020, 03:41:57 PM
Quote from: lenny on April 12, 2020, 03:37:41 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on April 12, 2020, 03:24:09 PM
All these comparisons are absolutely futile. London has almost 10 million residents made up of people from all parts of the globe, higher population density, massive public transport network, has 2 major international airport hubs etc. etc. It's like me comparing the cases in Armagh to those in Dublin. A load of balls.

Comparisons are not futile at all. Germany has several large cities of over a million and with plenty of immigrants. They also have a larger population than the uk. They have many, many fewer deaths. That is enough to show the uk have handled this crisis very poorly.

Jesus lads, seriously? Tell us one more time they've handled it poorly!

I know you are a closet admirer of British rule but the purpose of that twitter post was to point out how the British media has done nothing to point out the facts of what has happened, to put pressure on their government to improve. It is still very relevant. For example, you have to dig a bit to find the total deaths in the UK on a particular day, yet a few weeks ago when Italy was really in the shit the BBC and others had their deaths sprayed across the top of their home pages. The British media are not holding their government to account which is pathetic, even by their very low standards.

I've seen plenty of quotes and watched plenty news were people in the UK have stated the same facts that have been pointed out infinity on here, that horse bolted after the allowing of PL games and the lower divisions, the CL game in Liverpool and Cheltenham! The herd immunity thing was more bullshit but the horse had bolted, the BBC is no different to FOX news and most media owners will dictate what's said based on their own needs!

The tweets won't change any course of this, it's a blame game which is totally meaningless, the lockdown is going into fourth week on Tuesday, not much more you can do really. But sure carry on with it. Don't forget to remind me about how inept the Brits are please. In case I forget ;D

As for your dig on bring a closet admirer of the brits that would fit well with you free staters when yas abandoned the North, but hey, I'm as Irish you.  ;)

It's not meaningless to report facts and hold government to account, it's one of the primary jobs of media and certainly it's most important. If you look at this and think that is actually happening, well the only  conclusion I can draw is that you are looking at this through Brit tinted glasses, perhaps a form of Stockholm Syndrome. When you call a fellow Ulsterman a freestater like proud unionists do I think that is confirmed.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Itchy on April 13, 2020, 10:19:28 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 12, 2020, 06:50:32 PM
Quote from: Itchy on April 12, 2020, 05:53:22 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 12, 2020, 03:41:57 PM
Quote from: lenny on April 12, 2020, 03:37:41 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on April 12, 2020, 03:24:09 PM
All these comparisons are absolutely futile. London has almost 10 million residents made up of people from all parts of the globe, higher population density, massive public transport network, has 2 major international airport hubs etc. etc. It's like me comparing the cases in Armagh to those in Dublin. A load of balls.

Comparisons are not futile at all. Germany has several large cities of over a million and with plenty of immigrants. They also have a larger population than the uk. They have many, many fewer deaths. That is enough to show the uk have handled this crisis very poorly.

Jesus lads, seriously? Tell us one more time they've handled it poorly!

I know you are a closet admirer of British rule but the purpose of that twitter post was to point out how the British media has done nothing to point out the facts of what has happened, to put pressure on their government to improve. It is still very relevant. For example, you have to dig a bit to find the total deaths in the UK on a particular day, yet a few weeks ago when Italy was really in the shit the BBC and others had their deaths sprayed across the top of their home pages. The British media are not holding their government to account which is pathetic, even by their very low standards.

I've seen plenty of quotes and watched plenty news were people in the UK have stated the same facts that have been pointed out infinity on here, that horse bolted after the allowing of PL games and the lower divisions, the CL game in Liverpool and Cheltenham! The herd immunity thing was more bullshit but the horse had bolted, the BBC is no different to FOX news and most media owners will dictate what's said based on their own needs!

The tweets won't change any course of this, it's a blame game which is totally meaningless, the lockdown is going into fourth week on Tuesday, not much more you can do really. But sure carry on with it. Don't forget to remind me about how inept the Brits are please. In case I forget ;D

As for your dig on bring a closet admirer of the brits that would fit well with you free staters when yas abandoned the North, but hey, I'm as Irish you.  ;)

It's not meaningless to report facts and hold government to account, it's one of the primary jobs of media and certainly it's most important. If you look at this and think that is actually happening, well the only  conclusion I can draw is that you are looking at this through Brit tinted glasses, perhaps a form of Stockholm Syndrome. When you call a fellow Ulsterman a freestater like proud unionists do I think that is confirmed.

Continue to call me a Brit and I'll call you a freestater. That's simple enough to work out.

The fascination with the UK government and their policies, which have no bearing on people that live in the Republic is curious, you shouldn't have to hold them to account (the Dublin government has plenty issues to resolve) we've been trying to do that since, well you know the history there.

It's a pointless task and asking the tv media to do it is never really going to cut it, the tabloid press back in the day would have but I don't read papers anymore so I don't know if they do, I watch a bit Peston every now and again and he generally does, Paxman when he was going was good also.

If you can point out somewhere or put up a post that I'm supporting the brits then maybe your Stockholm syndrome might be right.

I try and work to a day by day approach for disasters, Brexit, Covid, Jobs I can't predict the future and I'll deal with the problem when it arrives on my doorstep. You're trying to solve problems that aren't even in your own county! Why would you be bothered?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Rossfan

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 12, 2020, 09:30:11 PM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on April 12, 2020, 09:25:18 PM
Quote from: Saffrongael on April 12, 2020, 07:57:45 PM
This is like the General Electook thread, some on here want the UK to be the leading country when it comes to deaths from Covid19 just to say I told you about those nasty Tories. It's really peculiar

Really?

You can't see this?
Of course he can't  because no one said it.
Plenty saying the Brits got it wrong with their herd immunity nonsense and losing valuable time etc. Also their media not highlighting the number of deaths while they had been trumpeting Italian and Spanish figures.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

armaghniac

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 13, 2020, 12:35:43 PM
The fascination with the UK government and their policies, which have no bearing on people that live in the Republic is curious, you shouldn't have to hold them to account (the Dublin government has plenty issues to resolve) we've been trying to do that since, well you know the history there.

If there is someone pissing in the other end of the pool, then that it is of interest. We'd like to get the bollix out of the pool, but if that ain't possible then asking him to stopping pissing is reasonable.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Captain Obvious

Quote from: armaghniac on April 13, 2020, 04:07:04 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 13, 2020, 12:35:43 PM

If there is someone pissing in the other end of the pool, then that it is of interest. We'd like to get the bollix out of the pool, but if that ain't possible then asking him to stopping pissing is reasonable.

More like a big load of diarrhea than piss.

bennydorano

Quote from: Rossfan on April 13, 2020, 01:25:53 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 12, 2020, 09:30:11 PM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on April 12, 2020, 09:25:18 PM
Quote from: Saffrongael on April 12, 2020, 07:57:45 PM
This is like the General Electook thread, some on here want the UK to be the leading country when it comes to deaths from Covid19 just to say I told you about those nasty Tories. It's really peculiar

Really?

You can't see this?
Of course he can't  because no one said it.
Plenty saying the Brits got it wrong with their herd immunity nonsense and losing valuable time etc. Also their media not highlighting the number of deaths while they had been trumpeting Italian and Spanish figures.
I see you following up on this reporting of Italian & Spanish deaths, I would have thought there is a simple explanation, firstly it was big news a couple of weeks ago and now the UK's numbers have become greater the other countries figures carry less significance for a UK audience? It is also simply not true that UK figures are not being reported, try following N10, Dept of Health & Social Care or Public Health England or any of the NI Executive departments for local NI updates, but then maybe you're not really interested?