China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnycool

Quote from: seafoid on April 09, 2020, 03:42:52 PM
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-britain-path-speci-idUSKBN21P1VF

Two days later, China put the city of Wuhan, where the outbreak began, into a complete lockdown. Hubei, the surrounding province, would follow. But already, 17 passenger flights had flown directly from Wuhan to Britain since the start of 2020, and 614 flights from the whole of China, according to FlightRadar24, a flight-tracking service. That meant thousands of Chinese, some of them potential carriers, had come to Britain. On April 5, scientific adviser Ferguson said he estimated only one-third of infected people reaching Britain had been detected.

The Germans are a rare breed;

https://uk.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-germany-defences-i/pass-the-salt-the-minute-details-that-helped-germany-build-virus-defences-idUKKCN21R1DB

J70

Quote from: five points on April 09, 2020, 02:33:58 PM
Quote from: J70 on April 09, 2020, 02:20:10 PM
Quote from: five points on April 09, 2020, 02:13:03 PM
Quote from: marty34 on April 09, 2020, 01:49:07 PM
You mean drive places, with kids, not stop in Applegreen or any service station etc.?

Then get to your destination, don't go shopping in any of the local shops or get any petrol diesel etc?

I think I'd rather stay at home.

Me too, but at least they'd have a choice. Not like now where they can be pulled in and locked up for daring to travel at all.

You must be in one of these civil liberty groups who think they can do what they want, whenever they want and everybody else must stick to the guidelines.
No. I have no dog in this fight. But I think the hysteria about holiday homes is misplaced. I'm all for people travelling, if they can do so without posing a hazard to others.

You can't guarantee that though.

No there are never any guarantees, nor are there any guarantees if they stay at home. But if they're barred from shops and filling stations while away, that should reduce the risk considerably.

If someone drives from Belfast or Dublin all to way to Donegal or Mayo or Kerry, they're going to have to fill up at some point, likely both at their point of origin and destination. They're more than likely going to need to pick up a gallon of milk or a loaf of bread during their stay.

That said though, chances are the virus is already circulating in most communities at this point anyway.

Rossfan

Quote from: Captain Obvious on April 09, 2020, 02:28:03 PM
Has been reported that 70 doctors and nurses have been infected with Covid-19 at Cavan General Hospital.
I noticed Cavan had a high number of cases relative to Counties with similar populations.
Any particular reason I wonder? ( and don't say maneness)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Jeepers Creepers

Quote from: johnnycool on April 09, 2020, 03:44:10 PM
Quote from: seafoid on April 09, 2020, 03:42:52 PM
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-britain-path-speci-idUSKBN21P1VF

Two days later, China put the city of Wuhan, where the outbreak began, into a complete lockdown. Hubei, the surrounding province, would follow. But already, 17 passenger flights had flown directly from Wuhan to Britain since the start of 2020, and 614 flights from the whole of China, according to FlightRadar24, a flight-tracking service. That meant thousands of Chinese, some of them potential carriers, had come to Britain. On April 5, scientific adviser Ferguson said he estimated only one-third of infected people reaching Britain had been detected.

The Germans are a rare breed;

https://uk.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-germany-defences-i/pass-the-salt-the-minute-details-that-helped-germany-build-virus-defences-idUKKCN21R1DB

Some contrast btw Germany and Uk's 'approach'.

five points

Quote from: J70 on April 09, 2020, 03:55:37 PM

If someone drives from Belfast or Dublin all to way to Donegal or Mayo or Kerry, they're going to have to fill up at some point, likely both at their point of origin and destination. They're more than likely going to need to pick up a gallon of milk or a loaf of bread during their stay.

Then restrict yourself to filling stations that will fuel up for you, as some stations around Lifford were doing a few weeks ago. A fill of the average 50 litre fuel tank will bring you about 800km. Bring milk and bread in a cold bag. Otherwise don't travel.

These are only ideas, which of course will never be implemented. But there are alternatives to the heavy-handed nonsense we've seen in recent days.

That said though, chances are the virus is already circulating in most communities at this point anyway.

True.

five points

Quote from: Rossfan on April 09, 2020, 03:58:42 PM
I noticed Cavan had a high number of cases relative to Counties with similar populations.

I think it's almost all hospital-related. There was an early outbreak in Cootehill after a group of lads went to Newcastle for a stag very early in the crisis.

93-DY-SAM

Quote from: five points on April 09, 2020, 04:02:45 PM

Then restrict yourself to filling stations that will fuel up for you, as some stations around Lifford were doing a few weeks ago. A fill of the average 50 litre fuel tank will bring you about 800km. Bring milk and bread in a cold bag. Otherwise don't travel.

These are only ideas, which of course will never be implemented. But there are alternatives to the heavy-handed nonsense we've seen in recent days.

True.

Did you read my earlier post about my wife who is a nurse having to make major sacrifices to keep our family safe. They have also been working with limited PPE to date (that does seem to be getting better but is it too little too late?).

Does she and all her colleagues not deserve that people simply stay at home and do not go anywhere needlessly. I'll tell her it's ok for people to go to their second home and travel around the country if they keep themselves to themselves (which they won't) but she can't visit her kids at the minute as she is afraid of taking the virus home with her. Plus these people travelling will be putting health care workers at an increased risk due to spreading it and more people having to be admitted to hospital for care. But sure as long as people can go to Donegal or wherever for the weekend and not have their civil rights impacted upon by heavy handed tactics what does it matter about people like my wife or her colleagues.

Cavan19

Quote from: five points on April 09, 2020, 04:04:26 PM

I think it's almost all hospital-related. There was an early outbreak in Cootehill after a group of lads went to Newcastle for a stag very early in the crisis.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/conditions-at-cavan-general-hospital-very-scary-as-70-staff-catch-covid-19-993148.html

Itchy

Quote from: five points on April 09, 2020, 04:04:26 PM

I thought the bad name Cavan General once had was a thing of history but an outbreak of that magnitude in a hospital points to bad behaviours of some people in the hospital. That's an incredible amount of people to be sick in a small regional hospital. Sad to see but hopefully everyone makes a recovery. How the hospital can function now is had to understand.

Angelo

Quote from: 93-DY-SAM on April 09, 2020, 02:14:41 PM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on April 09, 2020, 02:04:25 PM
Quote from: marty34 on April 09, 2020, 01:49:07 PM

You mean drive places, with kids, not stop in Applegreen or any service station etc.?

Then get to your destination, don't go shopping in any of the local shops or get any petrol diesel etc?

I think I'd rather stay at home.

You must be in one of these civil liberty groups who think they can do what they want, whenever they want and everybody else must stick to the guidelines.

Guards stopping at Bridgend both directions last night and today

Just right too. It is the example it sets if these moorons were allowed to to and fro from a second home means everyone else will think well it is ok for them to move around it's ok for me to go for a drive as well. My wife is a nurse and the sacrifices she has had to make for the sake of our family so she can continue to work while scared absolutely shitless to go to work. Arseholes who cannot stay at home are putting her, her colleagues and everyone else at risk. Stay the f**k at home like the majority and do the right thing. I hope the cops all over the country are out in force over the weekend blockading popular spots to deter muppets like this and make their day a misery.

+1

Everyone is the same boat but there's always some asshole who thinks they are special and deserve to do what they and everyone else has been told they can't.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Angelo

True.

People cannot be trusted and that's why the police are enforcing this.

Unless you have an essential reason for travelling you have absolutely no business being on the road and you should do like everyone is being told to do.

It's just unbelievable arrogance in these times and these people deserved to be pulled up on it.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

five points

Quote from: 93-DY-SAM on April 09, 2020, 04:21:13 PM
Did you read my earlier post about my wife who is a nurse having to make major sacrifices to keep our family safe. They have also been working with limited PPE to date (that does seem to be getting better but is it too little too late?).

Does she and all her colleagues not deserve that people simply stay at home and do not go anywhere needlessly. I'll tell her it's ok for people to go to their second home and travel around the country if they keep themselves to themselves (which they won't) but she can't visit her kids at the minute as she is afraid of taking the virus home with her. Plus these people travelling will be putting health care workers at an increased risk due to spreading it and more people having to be admitted to hospital for care. But sure as long as people can go to Donegal or wherever for the weekend and not have their civil rights impacted upon by heavy handed tactics what does it matter about people like my wife or her colleagues.

I did but then I read the carry-on at Cavan General Hospital. And in local nursing homes where they're telling relatives their elderly parents with Covid 19 are not deemed important enough to deserve hospital treatment, in other words a death sentence.

I'm getting sick and tired of the propaganda that's blaming drivers and families for a problem that's been magnified by what seems to be criminal incompetence in some (not all) hospitals.

thebigfella

Wtf should they need to stay open for all these gobshites that can't stay at home? Staff in there are already at a higher risk keeping these places running for the people who are deemed essential.

There appears to be a small minority of people cannot get it through their heads, if it's a not essential they need to stay the fcuk home as instructed. It's not heavy handed, it's a reaction to the selfishness of a this small minority and they only have themselves to blame.

The same cnuts are queued up at the shops every day with kids in tow etc... why can't they get enough to keep everyone at home or why can't one parent stay at home while the other goes to the shop. There are queues down the road to the shops because families of 6 are treating grocery shopping as exercise  ::)

When we are out the other end, society won't forget these bell-ends.