Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: JimStynes on March 20, 2020, 07:01:06 PM
Quote from: marty34 on March 20, 2020, 03:20:36 PM
Quote from: JimStynes on March 20, 2020, 03:17:24 PM
Quote from: maggie on March 20, 2020, 02:42:09 PM
Quote from: lfdown2 on March 20, 2020, 02:24:48 PM
And where should the kids of front line staff go?

Where do they go down south?

So don't close the schools then. As it stands we will have about 60% of the school in.

How come 60%?

Doctors, nurses, lorry drivers - who else are allowed to the school?

Because the job list is as long as your arm. It would be easier naming jobs not on the list ffs.

As a teacher I want to do my bit. I will happily teach remotely or be redeployed to deliver food packages or whatever is needed. But what is the point in half closing the schools. Close them completely. Schools are complete germ factories at the best of times and that amount of children going back out to the community is just spreading the disease quicker. There is also seems to be a f**k the teachers attitude. No one cares if they get sick. A few of the teachers in my school have health conditions and shouldn't be anywhere near school. But now they feel like they have to show up on Monday and put themselves at risk.

Some teachers also need to take their heads out of their hole as well and stop thinking this is an extra holiday. Everybody needs to start thinking that we need to all do our bit to fix this. These are exceptional circumstances and I don't want to look back on this in history and feel like it didn't do my bit.  And to be fair most teachers I have talked to are of the same opinion as me. On the other side of this, some parents are down right just chancing their arm. One parent today rang up and said his child will be in on Monday as his wife is a front line worker. She's a dental nurse and he's a car salesman. It's literally babysitting.
As I said, we all need to try and do our bit.

That's just wrong! Our dentists have cancelled the appointments from Monday only essential and emergency dental work, and those cars need to be sold!

But here's the thing, when the kids come in on Monday (wife's school) they will have the kids spaced apart, they'll be doing work and no social activities, lets see how long wee Johnny sticks at that before throwing a wobbler!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

naka

Quote from: whitegoodman on March 20, 2020, 06:44:41 PM
Fair play to the Brits for doing this.  Did they clarify how long the 80% scheme would last for and the qualifying criteria ?

Is it for the next 12 wks or as long as the virus is around ?

Is it only for shops, restuarants and pubs that are forced to close or will it include contractors that have no work coming up over this or the likes of O'Neills who have no jerseys to make ?
All business no matter what
Effective from 1 March
Devil in the detail
What if you were trying to keep staff on
Is it better to temporarily let them go?

Itchy

Quote from: Rudi on March 20, 2020, 07:15:58 PM
From page 104 of Rte teletext

Generally you need to be 15 mins or more in the vicinity of an infected person, within 1 to 2 metres, to be considered at risk or a close contact.

Is this true? Yesterday folk were saying fuel pumps were huge spreaders.

That's for coughing, sneezing. Surfaces are another matter and are covered by hand washing and not touching your face.

whitegoodman

Quote from: naka on March 20, 2020, 07:22:19 PM
Quote from: whitegoodman on March 20, 2020, 06:44:41 PM
Fair play to the Brits for doing this.  Did they clarify how long the 80% scheme would last for and the qualifying criteria ?

Is it for the next 12 wks or as long as the virus is around ?

Is it only for shops, restuarants and pubs that are forced to close or will it include contractors that have no work coming up over this or the likes of O'Neills who have no jerseys to make ?
All business no matter what
Effective from 1 March
Devil in the detail
What if you were trying to keep staff on
Is it better to temporarily let them go?

What do you mean Naka ?

I thought the idea was if you keep the staff on they will pay 80% of the wages ?

naka

I mean do you have to show:
1 they were going to be laid off
2 how do we police that they are doing no work.
That's the devil in the detail.
The one advantage is that guys who played by the rules and paid full taxes on employees ( no under the table cash) should be fine .

whitegoodman

I think if you can show that your workload or order book has been vastly reduced as a result of the virus then hopefully you will qualify.

seafoid

Frances O'Grady

@FrancesOGrady

This is a breakthrough.

@RishiSunak

has shown real leadership. We're glad he's listened to unions and taken vital steps to support working families. Employers can now be confident they'll be able to pay their wage bills. They must urgently reassure staff that their jobs are safe.

Smokin Joe

Naka, the points you raise are absolutely key.

How do you transition people from being in full paid employment to being on this scheme without laying them off; which is the aim?
How do they know which employees are "furloughed" and therefore eligible for this?

I'm waiting for the detail to be published, but on the face of it it's just what was needed in order to take the pressure off individuals who were fearful of being laid off, and the companies that would have been faced with this.

naka

Smokin joe
When I get the answers which I will I will post same.
Strange times

armaghniac

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Milltown Row2

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Ambrose

You have got a once in a life time chance to stay at home, watch TV and drink beer to save the world!

Don't screw this up!
You can't live off history and tradition forever

Walter Cronc

Does the announcement by the govt today (willing to pay 80% of wages) cover self employed people or is it PAYE only?

knockitdown