China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Minder

Some intervention by the UK government
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

screenexile

Sunak has been very impressive in his short stint as Chancellor he has the look of a future PM and more capable than that fuzzy p***k in charge!!

larryin89

Quote from: balladmaker on March 20, 2020, 05:16:47 PM
UK government backstopping 80% of salaries up to a max. of 2500 a month ... some statement.

Shur they will have a pile of money with the thousands of pensions they won't have to pay , sick Brit scum.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

RedHand88

UK government backstopping 80% of salaries up to a max. of 2500 a month ... some statement.

This is unprecedented. The world is changing forever.

bennydorano

Quote from: larryin89 on March 20, 2020, 05:25:02 PM

Shur they will have a pile of money with the thousands of pensions they won't have to pay , sick Brit scum.
Catch yourself on ffs.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: bennydorano on March 20, 2020, 05:37:52 PM
Quote from: larryin89 on March 20, 2020, 05:25:02 PM

Catch yourself on ffs.

I wouldn't put it past the likes of Dominic Cummings to be thinking in those terms.

bennydorano

A lot of this thread and a lot of Social Media in general has become unreadable largely due to arguments being delivered along Brexit fault lines / Political affiliation and good old fashioned  Brit bashing.

Milltown Row2

How does that work for salesmen? Low wage high commissions?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

armaghniac

Quote from: bennydorano on March 20, 2020, 05:53:25 PM
A lot of this thread and a lot of Social Media in general has become unreadable largely due to arguments being delivered along Brexit fault lines / Political affiliation and good old fashioned  Brit bashing.

Covid19 willl likely be gone in 18 months, the Brits will be causing problems for years to come.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

seafoid

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 20, 2020, 05:55:02 PM

How does that work for salesmen? Low wage high commissions?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2020/03/20/politics-latest-news-six-companies-have-made-ventilators-matt/:35pm

Rishi Sunak announces measures to help self-employed

The Chancellor says he is "strengthening the safety net" for the self-employed by suspending the minimum income floor for all those effected by coronavirus.

This means self-employed people can access Universal Credit at a rate equivalent to statutory sick pay for employees.

5:33pm

Universal Credit allowance raised

Rishi Sunak is increasing Universal Credit standard allowance by £1,000-a-year for the next 12 months.

He is also raising the working tax credit basic element by the same amount.

The Chancellor says these measures will protect four million of our "most vulnerable" households.

bennydorano

Quote from: armaghniac on March 20, 2020, 06:04:57 PM
Quote from: bennydorano on March 20, 2020, 05:53:25 PM

Covid19 willl likely be gone in 18 months, the Brits will be causing problems for years to come.
That's true

Itchy

The poor Italians, 672 deaths in 1 day is unthinkable. My heart goes out to them.

whitegoodman

Fair play to the Brits for doing this.  Did they clarify how long the 80% scheme would last for and the qualifying criteria ?

Is it for the next 12 wks or as long as the virus is around ?

Is it only for shops, restuarants and pubs that are forced to close or will it include contractors that have no work coming up over this or the likes of O'Neills who have no jerseys to make ?

JimStynes

Quote from: marty34 on March 20, 2020, 03:20:36 PM
Quote from: JimStynes on March 20, 2020, 03:17:24 PM
Quote from: maggie on March 20, 2020, 02:42:09 PM
Quote from: lfdown2 on March 20, 2020, 02:24:48 PM
And where should the kids of front line staff go?

Where do they go down south?

So don't close the schools then. As it stands we will have about 60% of the school in.

How come 60%?

Doctors, nurses, lorry drivers - who else are allowed to the school?

Because the job list is as long as your arm. It would be easier naming jobs not on the list ffs.

As a teacher I want to do my bit. I will happily teach remotely or be redeployed to deliver food packages or whatever is needed. But what is the point in half closing the schools. Close them completely. Schools are complete germ factories at the best of times and that amount of children going back out to the community is just spreading the disease quicker. There is also seems to be a f**k the teachers attitude. No one cares if they get sick. A few of the teachers in my school have health conditions and shouldn't be anywhere near school. But now they feel like they have to show up on Monday and put themselves at risk.

Some teachers also need to take their heads out of their hole as well and stop thinking this is an extra holiday. Everybody needs to start thinking that we need to all do our bit to fix this. These are exceptional circumstances and I don't want to look back on this in history and feel like it didn't do my bit.  And to be fair most teachers I have talked to are of the same opinion as me. On the other side of this, some parents are down right just chancing their arm. One parent today rang up and said his child will be in on Monday as his wife is a front line worker. She's a dental nurse and he's a car salesman. It's literally babysitting.
As I said, we all need to try and do our bit.

Rudi

From page 104 of Rte teletext

Generally you need to be 15 mins or more in the vicinity of an infected person, within 1 to 2 metres, to be considered at risk or a close contact.

Is this true? Yesterday folk were saying fuel pumps were huge spreaders.