China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dire Ear

EU's chief Brexit negotiator tests positive

Michel Barnier, the EU's chief Brexit negotiator, has tested positive for coronavirus

imtommygunn

Quote from: Dire Ear on March 19, 2020, 11:10:21 AM
Quote from: imtommygunn on March 19, 2020, 11:04:05 AM
Yeah. Social media doesn't help.
Agree , but who should we be listening to?  Just World Health?  we need info.  and social media is very useful IF.. you filter the crap

That is the question I am not sure I know the answer to. I have a few friends who are "highly qualified" doctors so I message them every once in a while.

JohnDenver

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-51958241

First of what you would assume many deaths here in the north.

Rudi

Quote from: charlieTully on March 19, 2020, 10:56:53 AM
Quote from: imtommygunn on March 19, 2020, 10:27:36 AM
Exactly. I have stopped reading about it in most avenues. Twitter is a disaster for it. I would never normally be off it for sports and tech related stuff now I don't go near it.

Deleted Facebook. Everyone is an expert all of a sudden. Fake news and rumours. I work over 2 acute hospital emergency departments.there is a strange eerie atmosphere. Like being on a countdown. It's hard to keep the anxiety curtailed but you have to get on with it.

Deleting Facebook is a step in the right direction. Leaving Gaaboard too, probably a good idea, all social media. Social media gives every eggit a voice. People telling us how to wash our hands & cough into our upper arm & not peoples faces, dont invade people's space etc. Is this not basic manners. Anyway we gave a thread on depression/ anxiety might be useful for my wee wans in years to come, with the pandemic of fear and paranoia being spread currently.

Celebrities getting Corona or having potential symptoms and speaking of their experience is now another norm, coming out as having covid hashtag.

Stop the world I want to get off.

imtommygunn

That last sentence is definitely something that I have thought a lot during this  >:(

RIP to the poor person and hopefully if we all be sensible we can curtail this as much as possible :(

WT4E

Quote from: Rudi on March 19, 2020, 11:33:59 AM
Exactly. I have stopped reading about it in most avenues. Twitter is a disaster for it. I would never normally be off it for sports and tech related stuff now I don't go near it.

Deleted Facebook. Everyone is an expert all of a sudden. Fake news and rumours. I work over 2 acute hospital emergency departments.there is a strange eerie atmosphere. Like being on a countdown. It's hard to keep the anxiety curtailed but you have to get on with it.

Deleting Facebook is a step in the right direction. Leaving Gaaboard too, probably a good idea, all social media. Social media gives every eggit a voice. People telling us how to wash our hands & cough into our upper arm & not peoples faces, dont invade people's space etc. Is this not basic manners. Anyway we gave a thread on depression/ anxiety might be useful for my wee wans in years to come, with the pandemic of fear and paranoia being spread currently.

Celebrities getting Corona or having potential symptoms and speaking of their experience is now another norm, coming out as having covid hashtag.

Agree with most of this. I was in a whatsapp group where yesterday I got the 'Please everyone now say the Rosary at 9pm for help' from a person who spent all day in a pub on St Patricks Day. Took everything I had not to lose the plot!!!!

PS  have nothing against the Rosary its just the hypocrisy

trueblue1234

Quote from: Rudi on March 19, 2020, 11:33:59 AM

But it's not about changing the people who already do this. It' about trying to change the others who don't do it. I understand it can be annoying as feck when you see Tommy down the road, preaching about washing your hands for the 30th time that day, but if it helps to reinforce the message then it's a small help.
For social media it's important to not sweat the small stuff, otherwise you're head would be turned. But it can be a valuable tool.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Milltown Row2

A lot of it is the doom and gloom merchants!

Everyone and their dog knows it's tough not getting better soon and so on!

Can you imagine growing up in Africa? Let's put it this way we've got it easy
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Denn Forever

z
Quote from: lurganblue on January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM
Big scare in the news this morning around a new virus in China.  City on lockdown.  People fecking around with animals again... "This new virus originated in a seafood market in Wuhan that "conducted illegal transactions of wild animals", authorities have said."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-51217455

No doubt it wont be long until cases of this arrive in Europe.

How prophetic this was. 
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

armaghniac

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 19, 2020, 11:54:28 AM

Easier for you to relate to this, having grown up in West Belfast.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

marty34

I wonder will Africa be badly affected by Covid 19?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: armaghniac on March 19, 2020, 12:11:30 PM

Easier for you to relate to this, having grown up in West Belfast.

Again we've got it easy in comparison to what other countries go through annually. Doesn't diminish the pain and suffering families will go through here when this ramps up.

But get some more depressing stats/links up there to cheer everyone up
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: marty34 on March 19, 2020, 12:15:43 PM

At the moment looks (relatively) fine. I would imagine that's due to the lack of inward travel, dense infrastructure, public transport, atms and that type of thing. Morocco, Egypt and South Africa look to have got the majority of what has hit and they would be some of the more developed African nations.

That said, considering some of the conditions/disease that is rife in Africa, this is probably something they aren't getting too worried about.

MayoBuck

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on March 19, 2020, 12:22:19 PM

At the moment looks (relatively) fine. I would imagine that's due to the lack of inward travel, dense infrastructure, public transport, atms and that type of thing. Morocco, Egypt and South Africa look to have got the majority of what has hit and they would be some of the more developed African nations.

That said, considering some of the conditions/disease that is rife in Africa, this is probably something they aren't getting too worried about.

Also, this virus is especially harmful to the elderly and in less developed African countries there is a very low percentage of people over 60

Milltown Row2

Quote from: MayoBuck on March 19, 2020, 12:45:41 PM
Quote from: GetOverTheBar on March 19, 2020, 12:22:19 PM

Also, this virus is especially harmful to the elderly and in less developed African countries there is a very low percentage of people over 60

Because they are dying of all the other illnesses