Itchy

Quote from: five points on March 17, 2020, 02:38:37 PM
Quote from: ned on March 17, 2020, 02:34:25 PM
Quote from: five points on March 17, 2020, 02:10:35 PM
Quote from: ned on March 17, 2020, 01:49:14 PM
Quote from: five points on March 17, 2020, 12:57:07 PM
Quote from: Itchy on March 17, 2020, 12:53:29 PM
Quote from: five points on March 17, 2020, 11:41:10 AM
There won't be a safe vaccine for years. They rushed a vaccine for swine flu and it left teenagers with narcolepsy. And swine flu was mickey mouse compared to this.

What qualifies you to make that statement - How do you know a swine flue vaccine was "mickey mouse" compared to Covid-19? Do you work in this field?
If I had qualifications in vaccine science, do you think I'd be hanging around gaaboard today?  ::)
You are making a statement without foundation. Unless you have inside info what was the point of that message. Provide a link to the second part of your statement and then that might be deemed useful.

You could have as easily found this link yourself. There are many others.
https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/narcolepsy-case-state-faces-4m-bill-after-vaccine-settlement-1.4088687

The first part still needs clarifying. I've heard several contrary reports, I can't substantiate, therefore won't post that opinion.

It's a simple prediction, based on the fact that any new medicine requires a lot of testing before it can be deemed sufficiently safe for wide public circulation. This bit of it isn't exactly rocket science.

You didn't predict, you said with certainty it would take years. Every article or expert I have heard or read has said 12 to 18 months. So you just made a statement with no foundation and now you are calling it a "prediction" which you have based on one previous event (swine flu)

armaghniac

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 17, 2020, 03:26:29 PM
So it's the prods that are spreading the virus  ;D

So, it is the Prods that are voting for irresponsible git politicians.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

seafoid

Quote from: larryin89 on March 17, 2020, 02:41:58 PM
Quote from: Saffrongael on March 17, 2020, 02:36:05 PM
Quote from: Rudi on March 17, 2020, 02:31:23 PM
Best thing that can happen is the internet goes into a 1 month lock down. The hysterical b%llox talk will kill more stupids than the virus itself.

How many anxious filled teens & children are we creating, the pharmaceutical industry is alive and well.

Yes it's absolutely mental at the minute

Is it hysteria to describe what's happening in Italy ? Have you read any of the articles or watched the videos of doctors who are actually there on the frontline , do you know that yesterday they have proposed they will have to refuse treatment for the over 80s ?

Yes it's scary, yes it's fu ck img awful but it's happening . And the worst has not hit by a long shot .

It's a relatively weak pandemic

-It doesn't strike uniformly across the population
-It is expected to be less lethal than the flu of winter 2017/18 which killed 50,000 people in the UK. And that was just the flu.

The real thing would kill more than 10,000 people in the Republic and hospitalise 120,000.

So there is a a lot of unnecessary panic.

five points

Quote from: Itchy on March 17, 2020, 03:43:28 PM

It's a simple prediction, based on the fact that any new medicine requires a lot of testing before it can be deemed sufficiently safe for wide public circulation. This bit of it isn't exactly rocket science.

You didn't predict, you said with certainty it would take years. Every article or expert I have heard or read has said 12 to 18 months. So you just made a statement with no foundation and now you are calling it a "prediction" which you have based on one previous event (swine flu)

Give over. This is a public discussion forum, not a court of law, and you're under no obligation to agree with everything someone else says. Why you have such a bee in your bonnet about the difference between "years" and "12 to 18 months" in the context of the previous comment that "basically their broad conclusion is that we need social distancing, home isolation of the sick and their families, and complete closure of schools and universities UNTIL the vaccine becomes available", I'm at a loss to understand.

screenexile

US going big with their package... the outline sounds promising but as with everything the devil is in the detail.

Everyone thought French people were getting rent/utility/mortgage/rate relief then it emerges that this was for small business but the US seem to want to put money in peoples pockets!

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: David McKeown on March 17, 2020, 02:24:06 PM
Life expectancy is directly linked to GDP. If this isn't dealt with promptly the resulting impact on the economy will likely kill far greater numbers than the virus itself

Correlation does not indicate causality.
i usse an speelchekor

Milltown Row2

Quote from: armaghniac on March 17, 2020, 04:02:19 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 17, 2020, 03:26:29 PM
So it's the prods that are spreading the virus  ;D

So, it is the Prods that are voting for irresponsible git politicians.

Plenty paddy's in town being very irresponsible at the moment
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Rossfan

Plenty of sensibleness in the 26 today thank God.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: larryin89 on March 17, 2020, 02:27:01 PM
One poster replies there has been a month in the difference of first case in Italy & uk and another poster replies they were at the same time .

31st Jan for both.
i usse an speelchekor

larryin89

Quote from: seafoid on March 17, 2020, 04:04:58 PM
Quote from: larryin89 on March 17, 2020, 02:41:58 PM
Quote from: Saffrongael on March 17, 2020, 02:36:05 PM
Quote from: Rudi on March 17, 2020, 02:31:23 PM
Best thing that can happen is the internet goes into a 1 month lock down. The hysterical b%llox talk will kill more stupids than the virus itself.

How many anxious filled teens & children are we creating, the pharmaceutical industry is alive and well.

Yes it's absolutely mental at the minute

Is it hysteria to describe what's happening in Italy ? Have you read any of the articles or watched the videos of doctors who are actually there on the frontline , do you know that yesterday they have proposed they will have to refuse treatment for the over 80s ?

Yes it's scary, yes it's fu ck img awful but it's happening . And the worst has not hit by a long shot .

-It is expected to be less lethal than the flu of winter 2017/18 which killed 50,000 people in the UK. And that was just the flu.

The real thing would kill more than 10,000 people in the Republic and hospitalise 120,000.

I mistakenly took you as one of the more factual posters . This is just nonsense context .

Seasonal flu is about 0.1% mortality rate .

Where did you pull that 50k figure from over two years , English health board doesn't even release figures according to article i just read , it estimates it to be 17k per year on average .

There is nothing seasonal flu and covid19 have in common bar symptoms, when did 120k people lose their jobs in a day in Ireland through the flu , when did all pubs, clubs and restaurants close cause of the flu ?

It's utter nonsense and just a want to sound extremely calm and rational to say they compare .
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Rossfan on March 17, 2020, 04:44:30 PM
Plenty of sensibleness in the 26 today thank God.

If the government didn't close the pubs there would be plenty in it!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: seafoid on March 17, 2020, 04:04:58 PM

You are all at sea with that one.

If there is not more serious measures taken here (unlike that flu you reference which I cannot recall a lockdown for), you could be looking at over 20 times 50,000 dead before this is over.
i usse an speelchekor

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: Itchy on March 17, 2020, 03:43:28 PM

Ah I wouldn't shoot him for that.

It could easily take 24 months for a vaccine to be suitably qualified and produced in the numbers required.

Just note - there has never been a successful coronavirus vaccine yet - despite SARS and MERS. It won't be plain sailing in the labs.
i usse an speelchekor

dec

Some of the comments I have seen seem designed to push Peter Weir and Arlene away from closing the schools. Repeated references to an "All-Island" approach or references to what is being done in the South are likely to annoy Unionists.

Even today was this comment

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-51923280
Kieran O'Neill, chairman of the Catholic Principals' Association, called on Peter Weir to "show leadership in line with the department of education in the Republic of Ireland and close all schools with immediate effect".

The message should be that closing the schools is the right thing to do, whether or not the schools in GB or the south are closed.