China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

five points

Quote from: quit yo jibbajabba on March 17, 2020, 12:42:06 PM
Surely some of those would be classed as essential then..

If animal feed mills are deemed essential, then everything pretty much is.

Itchy

Quote from: five points on March 17, 2020, 11:41:10 AM
There won't be a safe vaccine for years. They rushed a vaccine for swine flu and it left teenagers with narcolepsy. And swine flu was mickey mouse compared to this.

What qualifies you to make that statement - How do you know a swine flue vaccine was "mickey mouse" compared to Covid-19? Do you work in this field?

Itchy

Quote from: larryin89 on March 17, 2020, 12:30:29 PM
China was in six week lockdown though ? I can't understand this reluctance for lockdown , social distancing will not work , you go for a walk now and you'll see groups of youths gathered , house parties been arranged etc etc . If we stay on course gaining 30% each day , wtf are the hospitals going to do in three weeks time ? Four weeks time ? Five weeks time ? It's an absolute disaster this .

I have listened to prof John crown several times since last week and although he praised the government and is a positive type fella full of praise for health workers etc and rightly so but he main point since last week is to shut everything down that's non essential. He seems very sure it's the right step to take .

I have to go back to work tomorrow for example or I'd just be replaced if I decided not to go in (it's an industry of no rights , apes in management etc etc) , canteen and drying rooms are wedged , I mean wedged beyond capacity , general hygiene is extremely poor on site , no hand sanatizer , I could go on but shur

Factories are still working in China unless they are making christmas toys etc

five points

Quote from: Itchy on March 17, 2020, 12:53:29 PM
There won't be a safe vaccine for years. They rushed a vaccine for swine flu and it left teenagers with narcolepsy. And swine flu was mickey mouse compared to this.

What qualifies you to make that statement - How do you know a swine flue vaccine was "mickey mouse" compared to Covid-19? Do you work in this field?
If I had qualifications in vaccine science, do you think I'd be hanging around gaaboard today?  ::)

larryin89

Quote from: five points on March 17, 2020, 12:37:43 PM
I have listened to prof John crown several times since last week and although he praised the government and is a positive type fella full of praise for health workers etc and rightly so but he main point since last week is to shut everything down that's non essential. He seems very sure it's the right step to take .

Impossible to shut everything down though.

Shut down a creamery for example, farmers are left with storage of rotting milk which within days turns into a pollution problem, and there's no milk in the shops. Soon, no baby food.

Shut down animal feed mills and when the current supplies run out, 6m cattle start to starve.

Shut down the banks and within days there's no money in the ATMs.

China , Italy France and Spain , how are they managing / going to manage ?

If we take the 6% critical figure and gauge that against projected figures for Ireland over the coming weeks , I'm yet to hear a solution as to what we are going to do , we simply don't have the beds nor equipment nor the staff required . Worst case scenario doesn't bare thinking about tbh , Italy have twice as many icu beds per million as us and they have literally collapsed already choosing who to save .

1.9 million cases was a figure put out there last week , in my math that's 19k x 6 = 114 k ? Critical cases , Jesus foo kin Christ like , wake the fook up . This is Coveney and co look like death warmed up , I actually feel sorry for them . They don't know what to do in reality .
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

five points

Quote from: larryin89 on March 17, 2020, 12:57:30 PM

Shut down a creamery for example, farmers are left with storage of rotting milk which within days turns into a pollution problem, and there's no milk in the shops. Soon, no baby food.

Shut down animal feed mills and when the current supplies run out, 6m cattle start to starve.

China , Italy France and Spain , how are they managing / going to manage ?

Very badly if they shut creameries, feed mills and banking operations, to name just 3 industries.

general_lee

Surely shutting down non-essentials does not include the food supply chain?

Solo_run

Banks can be shut down (who would prefer this outcome long term) and have limited staff in to top-up ATMs. To be honest, I haven't used an ATM in the last few months and prefer to use contactless.

Pubs aren't essential. People are naturally going to stop gathering in them except for the handful of people who ignore what is happening. By not saying "all pubs are closed" the government is essentially letting pub landlords lose their livelihoods.

Allow parents who can work from home remove their children from school. It might be unfair on others but it would limit the spread and if teachers are off sick, classes would be easier to manage. Imagine if a parent works as a nurse in hospital and gives their cold the virus... Their children then go into the school and give it to other children and teachers, they then pass it on to their parents and grandparents etc. If classes are smaller then socisl distancing would be possible in schools and teachers would find it easier to implement hygeine practices.

Public transport shouldn't be shut down but perhaps put on a limited service as it is essential to elderly.

It is unlikely supermarkets will be closed down. I am in favour of having a few hours set aside for the elderly which some companies have implemented and who should be applauded for doing so. If the panic buying shite continues then limit hours of supermarkets and implement online deliveries only do people arent buying out the dam toilet roll. Stores like Asda in England have drive through services - customers can sit in their cars while staff bring their groceries out to them.

Itchy

Quote from: five points on March 17, 2020, 12:57:07 PM

If I had qualifications in vaccine science, do you think I'd be hanging around gaaboard today?  ::)

Ok then, well what have you read that makes you write what you wrote? You surely have a link to sine article?

Maiden1

How long is lockdown in Ireland predicted to last for?  Most people could survive with no wages for a month (well me anyhow, even if that meant using credit card etc.) but there is rates bill, car MOT coming up, mortgage payment, gas/electric bill.  I'd be ****** in fairly short order if I was given a months notice with no prospects of another job in short term.

140000 already laid off in south of Ireland and that is not including e.g.  the taxi driver who is working at a loss while no one is going anywhere.

https://gulfnews.com/world/europe/140000-workers-laid-off-in-ireland-over-coronavirus-1.1584378228672
There are no proofs, only opinions.

seafoid

Food production, banks, post offices etc are not going to be shut down

five points

Quote from: Itchy on March 17, 2020, 01:16:26 PM

Ok then, well what have you read that makes you write what you wrote? You surely have a link to sine article?

You've misread my "mickey mouse" comment.

johnnycool

Quote from: Itchy on March 17, 2020, 12:54:22 PM
China was in six week lockdown though ? I can't understand this reluctance for lockdown , social distancing will not work , you go for a walk now and you'll see groups of youths gathered , house parties been arranged etc etc . If we stay on course gaining 30% each day , wtf are the hospitals going to do in three weeks time ? Four weeks time ? Five weeks time ? It's an absolute disaster this .

I have to go back to work tomorrow for example or I'd just be replaced if I decided not to go in (it's an industry of no rights , apes in management etc etc) , canteen and drying rooms are wedged , I mean wedged beyond capacity , general hygiene is extremely poor on site , no hand sanatizer , I could go on but shur

Factories are still working in China unless they are making christmas toys etc

Most factories shut for at least 2 weeks, leaving lots of companies short on electronic components and the likes and there's still lead time issues in those sectors.

Milltown Row2

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

ned

You are making a statement without foundation. Unless you have inside info what was the point of that message. Provide a link to the second part of your statement and then that might be deemed useful.