China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J70

Quote from: Saffrongael on March 17, 2020, 10:48:21 AM
The imperial college London report very interesting, especially for those interested in school closures & effectiveness

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/media/imperial-college/medicine/sph/ide/gida-fellowships/Imperial-College-COVID19-NPI-modelling-16-03-2020.pdf

Think the Gaa Board technical group will publish theirs in a few days  ;D

That is scary.

Let's home things aren't as bad as their models predict.

Supposedly, those models were what finally scared Trump into taking his head out of his arse.

JimStynes

Quote from: J70 on March 17, 2020, 11:24:15 AM
The imperial college London report very interesting, especially for those interested in school closures & effectiveness

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/media/imperial-college/medicine/sph/ide/gida-fellowships/Imperial-College-COVID19-NPI-modelling-16-03-2020.pdf

That is scary.

Supposedly, those models were what finally scared Trump into taking his head out of his arse.

What's the jist of the document for those people like me who are too lazy to read it all.

quit yo jibbajabba

At the risk of being ridiculed lol i just read the last few pghs - 250k estimated deaths in UK?!

This is the bit im struggling with as i read similar on bbc, if china gets away with 3k deaths how are we hit so much worse? Even with china downplaying a bit they cant have hidden thousands of bodies,

Ps 1mill plus in US.....

J70

Quote from: JimStynes on March 17, 2020, 11:32:14 AM

That is scary.

What's the jist of the document for those people like me who are too lazy to read it all.

There is a summary on the first page.

But basically their broad conclusion is that we need social distancing, home isolation of the sick and their families, and complete closure of schools and universities UNTIL the vaccine becomes available!

five points

There won't be a safe vaccine for years. They rushed a vaccine for swine flu and it left teenagers with narcolepsy. And swine flu was mickey mouse compared to this.

93-DY-SAM

Quote from: JimStynes on March 17, 2020, 11:32:14 AM

That is scary.

Close the f'ing schools and lock the place down. This will economically destroy countries but that is more palatable than 10s or 100s of thousands of deaths in the UK alone.

seafoid

The Gaaboard technical group is usually happy enough to talk about sport but there is none

Quote from: quit yo jibbajabba on March 17, 2020, 11:37:37 AM
At the risk of being ridiculed lol i just read the last few pghs - 250k estimated deaths in UK?!

This is the bit im struggling with as i read similar on bbc, if china gets away with 3k deaths how are we hit so much worse? Even with china downplaying a bit they cant have hidden thousands of bodies,

Ps 1mill plus in US.....

I am sure there is vast under-reporting just like the initial outbreak in Wuhan was covered up for weeks before being reported to the WHO. However, China then pursued an aggressive tactic of testing in the community and disinfecting flats and communal areas were people were positively identified, forcing them to isolate or bringing them to the hospital to isolate if symptoms were too bad to manage at home. Also they would trace anyone they had contact with. In the UK they have stopped any community testing and only test for the worst cases in hospital, which is completely counter to the WHO recommendations of test, test, test... There is a documentary on YT called one month in Wuhan which is worth a watch!
O'Neills Therapist

quit yo jibbajabba

Its ok ive watched a youtube or dr vernon coleman there who says its all a hoax so thatll do for me 😉😐

five points

Quote from: 02 on March 17, 2020, 12:00:05 PM

I am sure there is vast under-reporting just like the initial outbreak in Wuhan was covered up for weeks before being reported to the WHO. However, China then pursued an aggressive tactic of testing in the community and disinfecting flats and communal areas were people were positively identified, forcing them to isolate or bringing them to the hospital to isolate if symptoms were too bad to manage at home. Also they would trace anyone they had contact with. In the UK they have stopped any community testing and only test for the worst cases in hospital, which is completely counter to the WHO recommendations of test, test, test... There is a documentary on YT called one month in Wuhan which is worth a watch!

Community testing only getting off the ground here. https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/big-increase-in-covid-19-cases-likely-as-testing-is-stepped-up-1.4204453

Tony Baloney

Has it been peer reviewed by @Tommy1233242 on Twitter and OrangeLily1690 on Facebook?

larryin89

China was in six week lockdown though ? I can't understand this reluctance for lockdown , social distancing will not work , you go for a walk now and you'll see groups of youths gathered , house parties been arranged etc etc . If we stay on course gaining 30% each day , wtf are the hospitals going to do in three weeks time ? Four weeks time ? Five weeks time ? It's an absolute disaster this .

I have listened to prof John crown several times since last week and although he praised the government and is a positive type fella full of praise for health workers etc and rightly so but he main point since last week is to shut everything down that's non essential. He seems very sure it's the right step to take .

I have to go back to work tomorrow for example or I'd just be replaced if I decided not to go in (it's an industry of no rights , apes in management etc etc) , canteen and drying rooms are wedged , I mean wedged beyond capacity , general hygiene is extremely poor on site , no hand sanatizer , I could go on but shur
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

five points

Quote from: larryin89 on March 17, 2020, 12:30:29 PM
I have listened to prof John crown several times since last week and although he praised the government and is a positive type fella full of praise for health workers etc and rightly so but he main point since last week is to shut everything down that's non essential. He seems very sure it's the right step to take .

Impossible to shut everything down though.

Shut down a creamery for example, farmers are left with storage of rotting milk which within days turns into a pollution problem, and there's no milk in the shops. Soon, no baby food.

Shut down animal feed mills and when the current supplies run out, 6m cattle start to starve.

Shut down the banks and within days there's no money in the ATMs.

quit yo jibbajabba

Surely some of those would be classed as essential then..

armaghniac

Quote from: larryin89 on March 17, 2020, 12:30:29 PM
China was in six week lockdown though ? I can't understand this reluctance for lockdown , social distancing will not work , you go for a walk now and you'll see groups of youths gathered , house parties been arranged etc etc . If we stay on course gaining 30% each day , wtf are the hospitals going to do in three weeks time ? Four weeks time ? Five weeks time ? It's an absolute disaster this .

I have to go back to work tomorrow for example or I'd just be replaced if I decided not to go in (it's an industry of no rights , apes in management etc etc) , canteen and drying rooms are wedged , I mean wedged beyond capacity , general hygiene is extremely poor on site , no hand sanatizer , I could go on but shur

Some people are antisocial, but most people are making a good effort. The solution is new regulations to ensure that there is better facilities and hand sanitizer etc.  There may yet be a lockdown,  but it causes huge economic damage and Hong Kong, Taiwan and Singapore have managed without closing down.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B