China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

macdanger2

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on March 16, 2020, 05:34:49 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 16, 2020, 02:25:25 PM
How many boarders are off work and self isolating?

When I texted my wife on Friday I told her to come home, bring her computer, and don't go back to the office. Her employer won't let her work from home even though there's no reason for her to be sitting in her cubicle doing what she does - all of it can be done remotely. I told her not to go back to the office anyway, f**k those guys. At any rate the docs gave her a sick note so she's officially not working this week, but I've still forbade her to go back to the office come next week.

Do you live in the 1940s??  ;D ;D

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on March 16, 2020, 06:08:10 PM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on March 16, 2020, 06:04:33 PM
Was in a packed shop in Derry. Woman persistently coughing in queue behind me, not once did she cover up. I left. You could see people getting angry. People not listening

Did anyone challenge her?

No, but it's only sinking into people in Derry last 24 hours, you could feel tension. I probably should have but backed out because she was an older lady

seafoid

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 16, 2020, 06:17:16 PM
Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on March 16, 2020, 06:07:01 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 16, 2020, 05:58:12 PM
So 2000 deaths in Italy, is that directly or part indirectly due to poor medical resources?

Poor?

The Italian system is light years better than the NHS!

If the countries had enough medical resources (not vaccines) would this be treatable without crisis?

No - even in areas where resources are not stretched, mortality rate is still near 1%.

That was a question, have never needed or seen Italy's medical institutions, so I'll bow to you knowledge of it
The system in Northern Italy is better than the NHS. They have more ICU beds and more ventilators.

Itchy

Quote from: seafoid on March 16, 2020, 06:28:09 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 16, 2020, 06:17:16 PM
So 2000 deaths in Italy, is that directly or part indirectly due to poor medical resources?

Poor?

The Italian system is light years better than the NHS!

If the countries had enough medical resources (not vaccines) would this be treatable without crisis?

No - even in areas where resources are not stretched, mortality rate is still near 1%.

That was a question, have never needed or seen Italy's medical institutions, so I'll bow to you knowledge of it
The system in Northern Italy is better than the NHS. They have more ICU beds and more ventilators.

Twice as many per population than the UK and Ireland. UK and Ireland are at similar levels.

armaghniac

There are always some coronavirus cases that are not tested. They think that mortality in areas with good treatment is probably in the 0.5-0.6% range for all people who get the pox.
However, mortality has increased markedly where the health services have been overwhelmed.

If the thing can be kept below health service capacity, which can be increased a bit, and when doctors fully test all the treatments going, it is probably possible to improve the mortality rate to 0.2-0.3%. Of course, if you let it all hit the health service in early April then 10 times that many would die.

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on March 16, 2020, 06:26:03 PM
No, but it's only sinking into people in Derry last 24 hours, you could feel tension. I probably should have but backed out because she was an older lady

She is the class of person with most to lose if nothing is done.

Quote from: Itchy on March 16, 2020, 06:31:26 PM
Twice as many per population than the UK and Ireland. UK and Ireland are at similar levels.

The health service in Italy did a better job than the NHS, so had older people to get this plague.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Saffrongael

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on March 16, 2020, 06:05:32 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on March 16, 2020, 05:50:27 PM
Genocide, eugenics, population cull. Call it what you like, because that's what it is.

Someone like Dominic Cummings calling the shots at a time like this. Utterly chilling. That man will go down in history along with some of mankind's most sinister characters.

So it's not Laura Kuennsberg anymore ?
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

Taylor

So Boris has said stop non essential travel, close pubs & clubs and socially isolate.

But we are keeping schools open.

What is the actual rationale behind sending kids to sit in classrooms while putting in place the other actions?

Surely the things are absolutely counter productive to each other?

LeoMc

Quote from: Taylor on March 16, 2020, 07:06:30 PM
So Boris has said stop non essential travel, close pubs & clubs and socially isolate.

What is the actual rationale behind sending kids to sit in classrooms while putting in place the other actions?

I would assume to provide Childcare for the Doctors, nurses, cleaners, Pharmacists, shop keepers, lorry drivers, Police and other Teachers needed to keep society functioning.

Taylor

Even worse then HS.

Still, I dont get why schools havent shut - sure if kids carry it and they will definitely pass it on what is the point in doing anything else

Taylor

Quote from: LeoMc on March 16, 2020, 07:12:11 PM

I would assume to provide Childcare for the Doctors, nurses, cleaners, Pharmacists, shop keepers, lorry drivers, Police and other Teachers needed to keep society functioning.

I see your point but if the kids get it and spread it then the 'Doctors, nurses, cleaners, Pharmacists, shop keepers, lorry drivers, Police and other Teachers' will be catching it from the kids after work.

Then if they cant work it defeats the purpose anyway

rodney trotter

It's not Johnsons call whether the North closes schools. If the DUP had any cop on they would follow the 26 by closing. Why is she bothered in a crisis what the UK does, at least keep the whole island of Ireland under control.

Saffrongael

Quote from: hardstation on March 16, 2020, 07:08:40 PM
I don't think he has closed pubs and clubs. Says he doesn't need to. He's asked people to avoid them though.  :-\

Think he would have to legislate to close pubs etc
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

J70

Quote from: hardstation on March 16, 2020, 07:15:40 PM
Quote from: LeoMc on March 16, 2020, 07:12:11 PM

Does the UK differ from other countries in that regard?

NYC used that rationale for a few days until yesterday, when Cuomo finally caved and ordered the schools in the city, Long Island and Westchester closed. A lot of private schools had already closed.

DeBlasio had been concerned about losing healthcare staff if they had to stay home with their kids. And then there's also the fact that the schools provide steady meals and defacto daycare for many poor families that are often dependent on low-income hourly work. More than a million kids in the NYC public school system.

But, he has now closed the public schools through April 20th (the last ten days were Easter break anyway) and says they may not reopen until after the summer.

JoG2

Quote from: rodney trotter on March 16, 2020, 07:17:34 PM
It's not Johnsons call whether the North closes schools. If the DUP had any cop on they would follow the 26 by closing. Why is she bothered in a crisis what the UK does, at least keep the whole island of Ireland under control.

Have spoken to a reck of parents in the last few days. We reckon they'll be less than 10% of the wains in the local primary school on Wed

RedHand88

I work in a healthcare setting which as you can imagine is pure bedlam at the minute.

Got told on the phone today by a member of the public that "its a load of shite and is just a flu". When I pointed out Italy to him he replied "us norn iron people are smarter than Italy".