China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

APM

Quote from: AFM on March 11, 2020, 06:02:26 PM
Quote from: bigarsedkeeper on March 11, 2020, 04:45:56 PM
Meant to go to Disney Paris on Monday with the kids, booked it last summer. Disney aren't closing/won't close so can't claim any money back through travel agency. Checked with the travel insurance and you don't have a claim if you decide not to travel because you are worried about the situation as it is, you have to have it to claim! Travel agents are going on like there's nothing happening at all. It stinks. Even the kids are worried about going now. I agree we shouldn't be going but that's a big bill to swallow and no way to claim any of it back. All paid for too - anybody know anyway around it?

Feel your pain, as mentioned it's all about the money, hopefully folk stop booking in advance after this is all over and give the travel and entertainment the kick up the ass it needs. Imagine the money they have a year or so in advance of your trip.

Government is to blame here.  Insurances won't kick in until the Government bites the bullet (and not all insurances will kick-in even then). They are going to need to put in place a hardline approach eventually, and better to do so soon while it has a chance of being effective. 

Anyone with a bit of sense is way ahead of the government and in reality social distancing is already going on with many businesses cancelling meetings and events and individuals / families cancelling holidays and trips. Meanwhile, government is slavishly sticking to the same line and resultingly, so too are many business and people. 

Absolute madness.  Some nonsense from talking heads on TV about the risk of people rebelling against a lockdown and how strong measures now could be counter productive. Most people I know are ready for action now to avert the kind of disaster that is playing out in Italy.

Until government give the kind of leadership that is required, we are going to be sitting in limbo with some people being highly responsible and others being highly irresponsible and people like yourself stuck in a quandry between going on holiday and cancelling and the government advice letting the travel insurer off the hook. 

>:(

armaghniac

Nine more today in 26 counties and 2 in 6 counties.
Of the former, all of these are connected to travel or people already known, so not in themselves a cause for panic.
Cases of four males from the south of the country are associated with travel. A female and a male in the south  had contact with a confirmed case and three males from the east of the country, two associated with travel, one associated with contact of a confirmed case.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

APM

Quote from: Harold Disgracey on March 11, 2020, 04:57:24 PM
Looks like there is good news from Italy regarding COVID-19 (coronavirus).  Tocilizumab, an anti-arthritis drug, is showing great promise in treating coronavirus-caused pneumonia in critical cases. Chinese doctors discovered this last week, anecdotally reported to have been used successfully in Iran as well.

Great news - makes me think of this scene only its the Chinese and Italians that have the plan: ;D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haIMvy_Iv3E

bennydorano

It's a situation were everyone can only see the wrong, but the UK Government's position is to 'follow the Science', seems eminently sensible to me tbh, pretty sure they'll be factoring in the experiences of Italy. I'm glad they're at the wheel and not Twitter.

trailer

Meant to go to Disney Paris on Monday with the kids, booked it last summer. Disney aren't closing/won't close so can't claim any money back through travel agency. Checked with the travel insurance and you don't have a claim if you decide not to travel because you are worried about the situation as it is, you have to have it to claim! Travel agents are going on like there's nothing happening at all. It stinks. Even the kids are worried about going now. I agree we shouldn't be going but that's a big bill to swallow and no way to claim any of it back. All paid for too - anybody know anyway around it?

Feel your pain, as mentioned it's all about the money, hopefully folk stop booking in advance after this is all over and give the travel and entertainment the kick up the ass it needs. Imagine the money they have a year or so in advance of your trip.

f**k me.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Sort of same situation, I'm for new york on Monday. Atm I'm going

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on March 11, 2020, 07:50:08 PM

Just stay in the Irish quarter, stay out of China town and the Mafia areas
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 11, 2020, 07:55:50 PM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on March 11, 2020, 07:50:08 PM

Just stay in the Irish quarter, stay out of China town and the Mafia areas
👌👌

Gabriel_Hurl

NYC Paddy's Parade is OFF

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on March 11, 2020, 08:16:52 PM
NYC Paddy's Parade is OFF

Yeah I heard that, I'm for MSG to watch Conlon, probably be off too

Gabriel_Hurl

The big NCAA basketball tournaments just said they would be going ahead, without spectators though

AFM

Quote from: trailer on March 11, 2020, 07:33:21 PM

f**k me.

Save up and book last minute, no protection booking months in advance, greedy whores the lot of them.

AFM

Quote from: bennydorano on March 11, 2020, 07:29:22 PM
It's a situation were everyone can only see the wrong, but the UK Government's position is to 'follow the Science', seems eminently sensible to me tbh, pretty sure they'll be factoring in the experiences of Italy. I'm glad they're at the wheel and not Twitter.

Bet the old and sick are sleeping well as a result.

Solo_run

Quote from: AFM on March 11, 2020, 08:50:55 PM
Quote from: trailer on March 11, 2020, 07:33:21 PM

f**k me.

Save up and book last minute, no protection booking months in advance, greedy whores the lot of them.

Talking of money grabbers

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-51826295

thewobbler

A few or the "just shut everything down" brigade would do well to watch the scenes outside PSG tonight to see how difficult this is going to be to enforce/expect in western, liberal countries.