China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

APM

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on March 10, 2020, 04:23:19 PM
Quote from: AFM on March 10, 2020, 02:41:21 PM
Nearly as well as

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on March 02, 2020, 10:27:51 AM

It's the flu, not Leprosy. More hysteria.

Point stands.

Symptoms are flu like, no matter if you like it or not. And the prevention is also that of avoiding the flu....No matter how hard you try to make this into the worst thing to ever happen in the world and it's going to infect and kill every single person standing on the planet....it's not. You've been harping on for a week now and the prevention is still the same....wash the hands, don't get coughed on.....etc.

I was reading this thread after returning from Europe at the weekend and see you mentioned me two or three times. It's bordering on stalking at this stage but I'm more than happy to keep you on a hook and it's a round about compliment that you have taken to me.

Forgive me, but isn't the latest from China that they have now curbed the worst of it?

How is the worldwide recovery rate now....last I checked it was rising just as quick as the infections. That alone should really indicate that whilst this is not ideal. It is certainly not the end of us.

I think the reason that AFM is getting frustrated is that there is a fairly large cohort of people that seem to revel in telling people that its not that bad and things will be fine. I don't think that's the problem, but its the concern behind it that those people could be putting people at risk by not changing behaviour whether that's not washing hands or taking a holiday in Northern Italy or even knowingly mixing with others despite the fact that you are waiting on test results and your friend has already tested positive.  These behaviors are all on a spectrum with OCD and agrophobia at one end and sheer irresponsibility at the other. 

You're entitled to have the glass half full, but surely you have read the article above about the carnage that has played out in Italy and China and I'm yet to meet anyone that isn't concerned for an elderly relative or someone with a compromised immune system.  When I see irresponsible behaviour (and I'm hearing and seeing plenty of it) it is nearly always excused with a comment about people over-reacting with genuine concerns dismissed as hysteria.  I have to say, that I resent the very notion that my family might be put at risk by irresponsible behaviour and I'm far from OCD on this stuff.   

Just bear in mind, and I have said this earlier on this - what looks like panic now might look sensible tomorrow and what looks rational today might look complacent next week. 

RedHand88

Quote from: APM on March 10, 2020, 05:12:32 PM
Quote from: AFM on March 10, 2020, 02:41:21 PM
Nearly as well as

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on March 02, 2020, 10:27:51 AM

It's the flu, not Leprosy. More hysteria.

Point stands.

Symptoms are flu like, no matter if you like it or not. And the prevention is also that of avoiding the flu....No matter how hard you try to make this into the worst thing to ever happen in the world and it's going to infect and kill every single person standing on the planet....it's not. You've been harping on for a week now and the prevention is still the same....wash the hands, don't get coughed on.....etc.

I was reading this thread after returning from Europe at the weekend and see you mentioned me two or three times. It's bordering on stalking at this stage but I'm more than happy to keep you on a hook and it's a round about compliment that you have taken to me.

Forgive me, but isn't the latest from China that they have now curbed the worst of it?

How is the worldwide recovery rate now....last I checked it was rising just as quick as the infections. That alone should really indicate that whilst this is not ideal. It is certainly not the end of us.

I think the reason that AFM is getting frustrated is that there is a fairly large cohort of people that seem to revel in telling people that its not that bad and things will be fine. I don't think that's the problem, but its the concern behind it that those people could be putting people at risk by not changing behaviour whether that's not washing hands or taking a holiday in Northern Italy or even knowingly mixing with others despite the fact that you are waiting on test results and your friend has already tested positive.  These behaviors are all on a spectrum with OCD and agrophobia at one end and sheer irresponsibility at the other. 

You're entitled to have the glass half full, but surely you have read the article above about the carnage that has played out in Italy and China and I'm yet to meet anyone that isn't concerned for an elderly relative or someone with a compromised immune system.  When I see irresponsible behaviour (and I'm hearing and seeing plenty of it) it is nearly always excused with a comment about people over-reacting with genuine concerns dismissed as hysteria.  I have to say, that I resent the very notion that my family might be put at risk by irresponsible behaviour and I'm far from OCD on this stuff.   

Just bear in mind, and I have said this earlier on this - what looks like panic now might look sensible tomorrow and what looks rational today might look complacent next week.

100%

Franko

The 'it's no worse than flu' brigade are either thick as champ or being wilfully awkward.

The whole point here is that the various health services have already factored in the numbers of flu, cancer, heart attack, stroke cases etc etc into their calculations.

And that's how they've become the size they are (which is still probably too small).

Yes, this disease might not have a huge mortality rate (in comparison) but it's going to be widespread and it simply hasn't been budgeted for (AT ALL).

Therefore it completely fcuks all calculations for number of hospitals/beds/nurses out the window and collapses already severely strained services.

Ergo, more people die.

armaghniac

So, do you support measures similar to China then?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

APM

Quote from: Franko on March 10, 2020, 05:16:17 PM
The 'it's no worse than flu' brigade are either thick as champ or being wilfully awkward.

The whole point here is that the various health services have already factored in the numbers of flu, cancer, heart attack, etc etc figures into their calculations?

And that's how they've become the size they are.

Yes, this disease might not have a huge mortality rate (in comparison) but it going to be widespread and it simply hasn't been budgeted for (AT ALL).

Therefore it completely fcuks all calculations for number of hospitals/beds/nurses out the window and collapses already severely strained services.

Ergo, more people die.

Or they are absolute pricks or sociopaths.  There is already evidence of people willfully spreading the disease in other parts of the world and people refusing to self-isolate.  That is criminal behaviour and no different to someone who gives someone aids by not telling them they have HIV. 

AFM

Quote from: APM on March 10, 2020, 05:23:08 PM
Quote from: Franko on March 10, 2020, 05:16:17 PM

The whole point here is that the various health services have already factored in the numbers of flu, cancer, heart attack, etc etc figures into their calculations?

And that's how they've become the size they are.

Yes, this disease might not have a huge mortality rate (in comparison) but it going to be widespread and it simply hasn't been budgeted for (AT ALL).

Ergo, more people die.

Or they are absolute pricks or sociopaths.  There is already evidence of people willfully spreading the disease in other parts of the world and people refusing to self-isolate.  That is criminal behaviour and no different to someone who gives someone aids by not telling them they have HIV.

Or people like getoverthebar, self centred individuals who won't be told by anyone as they know more than the expert's, with attitudes like his and others prevalent on this thread folk have no chance. Even now he still banging on it's no worse than the flu, a major shift from his original quote that it was just the flu. I am sure same boy wouldn't sell isolate, he wouldn't accept he had to. ::)

Ambrose

Linfield have confirmed that one of their players have tested positive for coronavirus.
You can't live off history and tradition forever

RedHand88

Quote from: armaghniac on March 10, 2020, 05:18:18 PM

So, do you support measures similar to China then?

Yes they curbed it by bringing in QR codes to get into ones apartment or workplace, mandatory daily temperature checks, curfews etc.

larryin89

I need more simple information, how do you actually get infected , I've read you have to be within two metres of a person for a fifteen minute period who has it . Is this true ?
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Milltown Row2

Nobody really knows until they have the symptoms they could have caught the virus and not known and be walking around spreading it, the symptoms aren't noticeable for up to 5 days.

All of us could have it and be giving it to family and friends, I've taken measures every day, but in my job that's standard, I've applied same measures at home. But to say people are deliberately giving it to others because they are saying it's a Flu is silly. The flu was something people were relating it too as a known problem. Some on here really get carried away with themselves and I doubt very much they'd get on like that in real life, we'll I hope not.

We've been getting constant emails updates and I can see us closing at some point, as we deal with the ones who'll not have a chance should they get it. But how will I know and if I do get it I'll not know for 5 days! I'll have met possibly 50 elderly people at that point! Plus family!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Solo_run

Quote from: Ambrose on March 10, 2020, 06:10:49 PM
Linfield have confirmed that one of their players have tested positive for coronavirus.

They would do anything for Windsor park to get a deep clean

AFM

Word of warning against replying to miltown, or you will be called all sorts, trying to paint himself like he cares now, its miltown first f**k the rest.

Jell 0 Biafra

There was someone on here asking about New York on Paddy's day.  I'd think twice about traveling.  A number of universities here have closed over the past couple of days.  And the National Guard is trying to create a containment zone in Rochelle (The Bronx) which is apparently the epicenter of NYC cases.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/10/world/coronavirus-news.html?action=click&module=Spotlight&pgtype=Homepage#link-7bab904a

Rudi

Was in 2 American airports as well as Dublin in the last 3 days, feck all precautions regarding the spread of the virus. Flight back to Dublin was 15 % capacity. I saw no hand sanitizers in random locations, one would expect this as an elementary method to stop the spread.

marty34

Quote from: Rudi on March 10, 2020, 07:22:30 PM
Was in 2 American airports as well as Dublin in the last 3 days, feck all precautions regarding the spread of the virus. Flight back to Dublin was 15 % capacity. I saw no hand sanitizers in random locations, one would expect this as an elementary method to stop the spread.

Heard on radio this evening a lot of the big airlines are still running, even at 20% capacity, just to keep their landing slots at the big airports.  Pressure will come on them as it's environmentally bad.

The ECB and EC etc. are meeting tomorrow and they're be news after that e.g. cutting interest rates etc...although they can't get much lower.
Looks like another recession on the way.