Brexit.

Started by T Fearon, November 01, 2015, 06:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vallankumous

Quote from: Ulick on June 24, 2016, 05:19:56 PM
The GFA guarantees more than dual citizenship, it also protects the right of all those born in the north to a single Irish citizenship (rather than dual citizenship) and as such to be legally no different from those born in the south. Constitution gives this right the underlying legal basis. Therefore those born in the north do not have to do anything (such as getting a passport) to prove their citizenship.

Even if the GFA isn't constitutionally protected in itself there is a legal basis for it?.

So legally no different or Constitutionally no different or both?

AZOffaly

Quote from: vallankumous on June 24, 2016, 05:18:22 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on June 24, 2016, 05:12:28 PM
I believe there was an addendum to include provision for children born to non-nationals, but as far as I am aware, the right of people born in the 6 counties to be considered part of the Irish nation, and Irish citizens, did not change.

What about British Nationals?

Pretty sure it didn't specify.
If a child to Scottish Parents is born in Belfast they are not Irish Citizens unless proven in a court.
However, under the GFA the are entitled to Dual citizenship through lesislation.
I'm don't know how that works but seems to be the case.

I suppose the point is, that regardless of UK in or out of EU these issues are for Ireland and the UK and will always be.

As for your debate on facebook, it's nothing to get annoyed at in my opinion.

Only annoyed because this person basically said if you are from the north you are a foreigner and she had no problem with them having to cross a border. I don't see any Irish person as a foreigner and I do not want a hard border outside Dundalk.

general_lee

What worries me is the people in NI who voted Leave. Many of the English voters were duped (imho) whereas voters here... What exactly do they, as someone from Northern Ireland, stand to benefit from? The only argument I've heard from pro-brexit unionists is that it's a "uk-wide issue"; that theyve just done what their idiot politicans have told them to do

heganboy

Quote from: general_lee on June 24, 2016, 05:29:31 PM
What worries me is the people in NI who voted Leave. Many of the English voters were duped (imho) whereas voters here... What exactly do they, as someone from Northern Ireland, stand to benefit from? The only argument I've heard from pro-brexit unionists is that it's a "uk-wide issue"; that theyve just done what their idiot politicans have told them to do

Anecdotally, a lot of folks in the north have viewed this referendum as an opportunity to reassert their Britishness.
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

vallankumous

Quote from: heganboy on June 24, 2016, 05:32:13 PM

Anecdotally, a lot of folks in the north have viewed this referendum as an opportunity to reassert their Britishness.

Beats marching season if ye ask me

general_lee

Quote from: heganboy on June 24, 2016, 05:32:13 PM

I've got that impression too. It's actually quite depressing.

Jeepers Creepers

Reading that the EU parliament president wants the out process sped up to get Britain out ASAP.

HiMucker

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 24, 2016, 05:29:30 PM
I believe there was an addendum to include provision for children born to non-nationals, but as far as I am aware, the right of people born in the 6 counties to be considered part of the Irish nation, and Irish citizens, did not change.

If a child to Scottish Parents is born in Belfast they are not Irish Citizens unless proven in a court.
However, under the GFA the are entitled to Dual citizenship through lesislation.

I suppose the point is, that regardless of UK in or out of EU these issues are for Ireland and the UK and will always be.

Only annoyed because this person basically said if you are from the north you are a foreigner and she had no problem with them having to cross a border. I don't see any Irish person as a foreigner and I do not want a hard border outside Dundalk.
Your dead right AZ.  And it very much is something to get annoyed about if a sizeable number of Irish citizens hold that same view. 

vallankumous

Quote from: Jeepers Creepers on June 24, 2016, 05:43:30 PM
Reading that the EU parliament president wants the out process sped up to get Britain out ASAP.

Anything you hear today should be taken with a pinch of salt.

Rossfan

Who's going to man a "hard border" between Carrickmacross and Culloville?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

vallankumous

Agreed.

Seperately -
For some reason 'foreigner' has become a bad word when often it's an honest description of someone. I know if I called some foreigners at work 'foreigners' they might get insulted.

Harold Disgracey

HiMucker

Your far better off to describe yourself as an expat than an immigrant.  Exactly the same thing but viewed completely differently

dec

They could call themselves the Federal United Celtic Kingdom

Quote from: Harold Disgracey on June 24, 2016, 05:51:56 PM

seafoid

Quote from: heganboy on June 24, 2016, 05:26:08 PM
Quote from: Harold Disgracey on June 24, 2016, 05:18:39 PM
I wonder will Arlene be so smug when the likes of Citigroup up sticks and move to Dublin?

I'm not so sure that this is an immediate concern but definitely not he 5-7 year horizon

A much more immediate problem is the reality is that a lot of the companies who were very advanced in their plans to move to the north will stall out until the uncertainty is no longer a concern in whatever that should be. The markets and CFOs hate uncertainty and unpredictability.
It is partly their fault  Working class voters haven't had decent payrises for years in large swathes of the UK. That came home with a vengeance today
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU