European Leagues.

Started by laoislad, August 11, 2012, 10:19:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

illdecide

TBH i wouldn't bet my wages on it but from following Celtic over the years the only thing that guaranteed them from avoiding the big guns in the last round was being seeded, other than that i'm not 100% sure. I doubt very much Dundalk would be seeded and that's why if they were successful (hopefully are) then they'd be drawn against some of the big guns but again i'm not certain
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Boycey

Quote from: illdecide on July 21, 2016, 10:07:07 AM
TBH i wouldn't bet my wages on it but from following Celtic over the years the only thing that guaranteed them from avoiding the big guns in the last round was being seeded, other than that i'm not 100% sure. I doubt very much Dundalk would be seeded and that's why if they were successful (hopefully are) then they'd be drawn against some of the big guns but again i'm not certain

There is now a Champions and a non champions side to the draw. Dundalk now play BATE Borisov and if they win (unlikely) they would play a winner from these other ties

Olympiacos (GRE) v Hapoel Beer-Sheva (ISR)
Astra Giurgiu (ROU) v FC København (DEN)
Ludogorets Razgrad (BUL) v Crvena zvezda (SRB)
Rosenborg (NOR) v APOEL (CYP)
Dinamo Zagreb (CRO) v Dinamo Tbilisi (GEO)
BATE Borisov (BLR) v Dundalk (IRL)
Partizani (ALB) v FC Salzburg (AUT)
Trenčín (SVK) v Legia Warszawa (POL)
Astana (KAZ) v Celtic (SCO)
Viktoria Plzeň (CZE) v Qarabağ (AZE)

Billys Boots

Quote from: AZOffaly on July 21, 2016, 10:03:17 AM
I think the situation is if they win the 3rd round tie, they are guaranteed Europa League Group football. So even if they lose the knockout round 4 tie, they will still benefit from Europa League.

It would be great for them, but from a league perspective, would it kill the league? If one team gets 10 million euro, realistically have the rest any hope of catching them?

I hear that if Pat's and Cork win their ties tonight, they are both guaranteed €120k, which is a greater financial prize than winning the League.  I think Dundalk are already guaranteed greater than €1m for their achievement last night. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

grantwool

Quote from: Billys Boots on July 21, 2016, 09:21:01 AM
Dundalk one tie away from the Champions League - fair play to them.

I hope they'll finally qualify this time!

tintin25

I hope I'm wrong, but can't see Dundalk beating BATE.  BATE should really be winning both legs IMO.

Billys Boots

And Cork progress to the next round as well, overcoming Swedish side BK Hacken 2-1 on aggregate.  Facing Genk FC of Belgium in the next round.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Boycey

Respectable 1-0 loss tonight for Dundalk in the away leg, it gives them hope for the return leg at Oriel Park.

ashman

Quote from: Boycey on July 26, 2016, 09:00:32 PM
Respectable 1-0 loss tonight for Dundalk in the away leg, it gives them hope for the return leg at Oriel Park.

A good result but Dundalk were totally outplayed .  BATE will score in Tallaght I think based on tonight.

Hope I am wrong .

laoislad

Dundalk go down 2-0. First goal was never a peno imo. To concede then in injury time is a killer.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

ashman

A bridge too far for Dundalk .  Legia a bit to strong . 

ashman

Great start by Dundalk . 

SHEEDY

Quote from: ashman on August 23, 2016, 08:17:21 PM
Great start by Dundalk . 
great goal, lovely volley by Benson.
nil satis nisi optimum

ashman

The longer it remains at 1: 0 the home crowd and players will grow more anxious .

ashman

Warsaw done to 10 men !!

Captain Obvious

Quote from: ashman on August 23, 2016, 08:55:09 PM
The longer it remains at 1: 0 the home crowd and players will grow more anxious .
Dundalk now have the extra man for the final twenty minutes. Makes things very interesting.