European Leagues.

Started by laoislad, August 11, 2012, 10:19:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossie11

Quote from: seafoid on May 04, 2016, 12:18:16 PM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on May 04, 2016, 11:43:11 AM
Simeone's team are far more negative than Mourinho's but how can you blame him given the players he has, he plays a way that gets the best out of his players and gives his team the best chance of success. He's done some job at Atletico, his team in 2014 was taken apart and to get back to the final with a vastly different squad is a phenomenal achievement.

As for Pep not getting that Bayern team to a CL final is a failure given the circumstances, he inherited the European Champions and has added Alonso, Vidal, Goetze, Thaigo, Lewandowski, Costa, Coman to a team that already had 6 or 7 world class players. Bayern were hammered in 2014 & 2015 and they might have been a bit unlucky last night but everytime Atletico put 2 passes together they were nearly in on goal. City will be his biggest test as he's not inheriting anything like the squad he's had at Barca & Bayern.
Agree re Pep. He didn't do much for Bayern considering how easy it is to win the Bundesliga
He was unlucky last night. Muller scores the peno and they qualify comfortably in my book.
Whatever about not improving Bayern, Germany give him a lot of credit for the improvement in the national team.
Still that will be no consolation to him

Applesisapples

Pep's problem is that he constructs teams to attack and defence is an afterthought. With Barca he had the players to get away with it, not so with Bayern and as with Barca this year if you can't defend then a team set up in the way Athleti are have always a chance of getting a result. That said Simeone has had a little luck, with the penalty not given in the Barca match and Oblak performing heroics. I'd love to see them beat Real 1-0 in the final (assuming City don't knock them out tonight).

Maroon Manc

Quote from: Rossie11 on May 04, 2016, 01:39:56 PM
Simeone's team are far more negative than Mourinho's but how can you blame him given the players he has, he plays a way that gets the best out of his players and gives his team the best chance of success. He's done some job at Atletico, his team in 2014 was taken apart and to get back to the final with a vastly different squad is a phenomenal achievement.

As for Pep not getting that Bayern team to a CL final is a failure given the circumstances, he inherited the European Champions and has added Alonso, Vidal, Goetze, Thaigo, Lewandowski, Costa, Coman to a team that already had 6 or 7 world class players. Bayern were hammered in 2014 & 2015 and they might have been a bit unlucky last night but everytime Atletico put 2 passes together they were nearly in on goal. City will be his biggest test as he's not inheriting anything like the squad he's had at Barca & Bayern.
Agree re Pep. He didn't do much for Bayern considering how easy it is to win the Bundesliga
He was unlucky last night. Muller scores the peno and they qualify comfortably in my book.
Whatever about not improving Bayern, Germany give him a lot of credit for the improvement in the national team.

I'm not sure, Atletico were always going to score a goal so Bayern always needed 3 as far as I'm concerned and Bayern had a bit of luck with the deflected free kick. He joined Bayern in 2013 and Germany won the world cup a year later, I really don't know how much of an affect Pep had on their national team.

JoG2

Quote from: ashman on May 03, 2016, 11:33:49 PM
I was cheering for Porto v Celtic.   I always liked Portugeese  people and soccer .  And then they turned over Man United the following year .  Beating those two clubs made me like Jose .

how could anyone who has, even a passing interest in soccer, (and who isn't directly associated with Porto) have been cheering them on that night? I wouldn't cross the road to watch Celtic, but Porto were an absolute disgrace that night. Diving, cheating, feigning injury for 90+ mins, an absolutely disgusting performance imo

Walter Cronc

Quote from: Maroon Manc on May 04, 2016, 02:17:02 PM

I'm not sure, Atletico were always going to score a goal so Bayern always needed 3 as far as I'm concerned and Bayern had a bit of luck with the deflected free kick. He joined Bayern in 2013 and Germany won the world cup a year later, I really don't know how much of an affect Pep had on their national team.

Agree with this. Germany overhauled their playing style at national level long before Pep came along. That great U21 side which included 4-5 starters in the WC final all were technically very astute.

ashman

Quote from: JoG2 on May 04, 2016, 02:23:01 PM
I was cheering for Porto v Celtic.   I always liked Portugeese  people and soccer .  And then they turned over Man United the following year .  Beating those two clubs made me like Jose .

how could anyone who has, even a passing interest in soccer, (and who isn't directly associated with Porto) have been cheering them on that night? I wouldn't cross the road to watch Celtic, but Porto were an absolute disgrace that night. Diving, cheating, feigning injury for 90+ mins, an absolutely disgusting performance imo

That is typical of the sour grapes from British teams when they lose of technically superior teams.   Call them cheats , divers etc .... No one else buys that .

JoG2

Quote from: ashman on May 04, 2016, 02:41:13 PM
Quote from: JoG2 on May 04, 2016, 02:23:01 PM

That is typical of the sour grapes from British teams when they lose of technically superior teams.   Call them cheats , divers etc .... No one else buys that .

oh, didn't realise you were looking some virtual attention. I'll bow out now so

Rossie11

Quote from: Walter Cronc on May 04, 2016, 02:25:39 PM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on May 04, 2016, 02:17:02 PM

Agree with this. Germany overhauled their playing style at national level long before Pep came along. That great U21 side which included 4-5 starters in the WC final all were technically very astute.
Not saying I agree with it but have read it on numerous sites previously with comments from Germans
Found one again today... they do say partially which is probable fair enough

http://www.squawka.com/news/why-germany-can-partially-credit-their-success-to-pep-guardiola/143859

imtommygunn

Who owns Fernando Torres??

muppet

MWWSI 2017

PW Nally

imtommygunn

He joined atletico on loan from milan a day after he signed but what i read indicated milan contract ran out last summer??

midLouth

Quote from: imtommygunn on May 04, 2016, 06:46:40 PM
He joined atletico on loan from milan a day after he signed but what i read indicated milan contract ran out last summer??

He had been on loan to Milan before that. They might of had a pre contract to buy him they couldn't get out of and loaning him out made sense.

Captain Obvious

This tie is building towards Manchester City grabbing away goal with their first shot on target.

ashman

Man City were an embarrassment .