GAA Response to Coronavirus

Started by screenexile, March 12, 2020, 12:10:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

the goal was on

cute move by ricey, extra week to prepare!

thewobbler

A conundrum for me this week.

Like many others I was aghast at the club championship celebrations across Ireland - not the on-pitch ones, they're outdoors and relatively transient, but the pubs and clubs jammed full of young people drinking from cups, sharing mics, dancing, singing - basically the "what not do to" guide to Covid.

So I was in support of the GAA's "shut the lot down" announcement.

But looking at the news across the world since then. Scotland has some GAA. The north of England too. There's probably a club or two in Madrid and Paris, and maybe a league of some description in Germany. It's doubtful there's much GAA happens in Turkey or Poland. And oddly enough, apart from Scotland and England, the same "go to the indoor pub and get bladdered weekly" stereotype isn't prominent.

So I'm now around to thinking that it might be time to stop scapegoating GAA members, and especially the Association as an administrative body, and accept that if cases are rising across Europe, then what has happened in Ireland the past week isn't on the GAA.

downjim

Quote from: thewobbler on October 08, 2020, 09:35:22 AM

Like many others I was aghast at the club championship celebrations across Ireland - not the on-pitch ones, they're outdoors and relatively transient, but the pubs and clubs jammed full of young people drinking from cups, sharing mics, dancing, singing - basically the "what not do to" guide to Covid.

But looking at the news across the world since then. Scotland has some GAA. The north of England too. There's probably a club or two in Madrid and Paris, and maybe a league of some description in Germany. It's doubtful there's much GAA happens in Turkey or Poland. And oddly enough, apart from Scotland and England, the same "go to the indoor pub and get bladdered weekly" stereotype isn't prominent.

So I'm now around to thinking that it might be time to stop scapegoating GAA members, and especially the Association as an administrative body, and accept that if cases are rising across Europe, then what has happened in Ireland the past week isn't on the GAA.

What is going to happen will happe!  Its madness stopping everything and communities are actually starting to turn on each other. Oh look at him not wearing a mask, oh look at them hugging after a match, oh look at him having a pint with his mates , Fecking grow up people,

Covid is here to stay, we cannot hide away, we need some sort of normality!

Stephen Nolan running around a forecourt last night, did you ever see the like of that in your life?

PadraicHenryPearse

Quote from: downjim on October 08, 2020, 09:46:44 AM

What is going to happen will happe!  Its madness stopping everything and communities are actually starting to turn on each other. Oh look at him not wearing a mask, oh look at them hugging after a match, oh look at him having a pint with his mates , Fecking grow up people,

Stephen Nolan running around a forecourt last night, did you ever see the like of that in your life?

i think thats exactly what people should be doing (not nolan) is calling out and telling peoplw to follow the rules and guidance, only then imo will we see some improvement.

armaghniac

well the people spreading the Covid, refusing to wear a mask etc certainly need to grow up.

as to Wobbler's point about other countries, the specific issues there could be different, but in all cases there are some things that are more a problem than others. But the issue is the same, you can do most things fine, but if you refuse to draw the line then you have a problem. The analogy I would use is driving in snow. You can get about in snow, but if you insist on driving in exactly the same way as you usually do then you'll end up in the ditch. The problem we have when driving in snow is that most people are taking it steady and keeping their distance, but some bollix overtakes and skids into someone else, and Covid is a bit like that.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

BennyCake

This isn't about avoiding the TV inspector man. Everyone has the potential to KILL someone else by not doing the right things.

This talk about 'we have to live with this', people are basically saying "f**k this, i'm doing what I want". Yes we have to live with this until such times a cure is found. But until then, cop the f**k on, and follow the f**king health advice

magpie seanie

Quote from: Rossfan on October 08, 2020, 11:22:17 AM
NFL to be delayed or cancelled??
https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/arid-40061432.html

For many counties the completion of the league is much, much more important than the championship.

An Fhairche Abu

Yeah I think that is a valid point, lot of counties still have skin in the game for the league across all Divisions, far easier finish up that competition with two weekends at least. It's hard to see how the championship will be finished this year even if they brought it forward by two weeks.

Blowitupref

Quote from: magpie seanie on October 08, 2020, 03:26:40 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on October 08, 2020, 11:22:17 AM
NFL to be delayed or cancelled??
https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/arid-40061432.html

For many counties the completion of the league is much, much more important than the championship.

It is and sensible call to make now is to reschedule the two remaining NFL games for January 2021.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

armaghniac

As per RTÉ news, league going ahead, if you don't field then you forfeit.
And you aren't allowed to play Covid positive players either.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: armaghniac on October 08, 2020, 06:40:53 PM
As per RTÉ news, league going ahead, if you don't field then you forfeit.
And you are now allowed to play Covid positive players either.

Might be alright if they take this super drug Trump was on?

FermGael

Fermanagh have just been relegated
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

armaghniac

One aspect of this is that dropping a tier in the two tier championship based on Covid relegations would be a bit harsh.

FermGael

Quote from: armaghniac on October 08, 2020, 07:27:13 PM
One aspect of this is that dropping a tier in the two tier championship based on Covid relegations would be a bit harsh.

That won't be a concern for Croke Park
Now imagine there is a outbreak in Mayo or Tyrone or even Cork.
That would change things

I hope that Fermanagh county board does the right thing from a health and safety point of view and inform Croke park that they cannot field.

Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered