GAA Response to Coronavirus

Started by screenexile, March 12, 2020, 12:10:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

armaghniac

Quote from: thewobbler on August 18, 2020, 05:58:37 PM
On one hand you've got members of a close knit community sitting together for an hour and a half, and it disturbs you.

Close knit or not,  each household should be sitting apart and in some of these games people did not do this. A small number were let in and they couldn't manage to behave responsibly so we are where we are.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Blowitupref

Quote from: imtommygunn on August 18, 2020, 06:28:20 PM
Quote from: Cunny Funt on August 18, 2020, 05:55:44 PM
Quote from: Sportacus on August 18, 2020, 05:12:11 PM
Covid is on the rise again looking for hosts.  There's any amount of pictures of spectators standing side by side at games and not wearing masks.  Can't see why the Government are getting the blame?  This is a lever they could pull to try and slow up a rising spread.  A surge into the Autumn is a very real possibility so the sacrifices have to continue unfortunately.  If it's inconsistent, then the other problems should be tackled as well.  As a GAA Board most of the comments will probably lash out at this through frustration, but sadly we're being asked to suck it up for the bigger picture.

It's on the rise again mainly because of indoor cluster settings. If a number of cases tracked back to GAA outdoor games I could understand this decision

To me this is not an informed decision at all. It's a panic decision. The players are in closer contact than the spectators are likely to be.

I get we need to get rid of this virus - well manage it as getting rid of it looks nigh on impossible- but this is not the way to do it at all.

That was asked of a few moments ago and a lame ass excuse about car pooling again. A number of back log cases conveniently added in today to run with the new measurements in place. The last 24hrs had 31 positive tests
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

BennyCake

Quote from: armaghniac on August 18, 2020, 06:45:53 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on August 18, 2020, 05:58:37 PM
On one hand you've got members of a close knit community sitting together for an hour and a half, and it disturbs you.

Close knit or not,  each household should be sitting apart and in some of these games people did not do this. A small number were let in and they couldn't manage to behave responsibly so we are where we are.

+1

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Nanderson

https://www.gaa.ie/news/gaa-statement-on-covid-19-social-restrictions/

The GAA aren't too happy with the government it seems with these new restrictions. Lot of anger on twitter with people rightly pointing out how much GAA folk have put into following the rules and guidelines as best they can yet others outside of the association can flaunt the rules but yet it is us who get punished

imtommygunn

It is ridiculous to be honest. There's just no need for it.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Nanderson on August 18, 2020, 09:22:06 PM

The GAA aren't too happy with the government it seems with these new restrictions. Lot of anger on twitter with people rightly pointing out how much GAA folk have put into following the rules and guidelines as best they can yet others outside of the association can flaunt the rules but yet it is us who get punished

The anger well founded. GAA used as a scapegoat.

Cavan19

Can't go to a game but can go to the local and watch the live stream. Yes i know which would be safer.

thewobbler

I'm happier now knowing the GAA are ready to fight back.

People have been asking me since we reopened when they could back in the gym, and when the they could have a drink indoors, and telling me that it's insane that changing rooms and meeting rooms aren't allowed. I've been suggesting that this is what will keep us open.

Between forcing activities to take place only outdoors, and in putting in place genuine track and trace measures, the GAA have played an absolute blinder.

Yet we are being punished.

It's wrong on so, so many counts.

Absolute inept by the government.

BennyCake

Quote from: Nanderson on August 18, 2020, 09:22:06 PM

Yes, clubs/stewards have done as much as they can, but a lot of fans clearly haven't followed guidelines. A lot of them are on top of each other at matches.

imtommygunn

There have been no cases tracked from outdoor sports events. None.

Square Ball

So, will Swan follow the same route on Thursday?
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

Itchy

This new government announcement is idiotic, is inconsistent and illogical. Hard to know what to say.

From the Bunker

Quote from: imtommygunn on August 18, 2020, 09:39:36 PM

Yeah, it's a crazy direction we are going. I just don't like a rule that stops small attendances at underage matches. We had a match this evening with maybe 20 or thirty parents/siblings in attendance. They were well spaced out.

BennyCake

Quote from: imtommygunn on August 18, 2020, 09:39:36 PM

Ok, so the Armagh SFC semis are next week. Do you suggest they allow up to 18,000 spectators in, and just forget about social distancing?