Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spike

Cargin certainly seem to be stuttering with a combination of new manager, new formation and loss of players at the moment. Certainly don't look as fit as the other teams they have played against - MR may be right in that they are trying to manage their fitness peak time. Still, Cassidy must be feeling under a bit of pressure at the moment.

St Galls have obviously the hunger back which is a massive point. Johnnies and LDs potentially managing fitness themselves as well.  Creggan simply HAVE to do something this year as they traditionally start the league campaign off well and then fall away so no change then. Would a league or an o cahan cup count as progress? doubtful.   St Galls the dark horses

Belfast GAA man

Quote from: BrendanAntrim on May 13, 2018, 11:00:39 PM
yeah - weirdly, the successful u12's aren't allowed to play senior. Pity.  ::)
Everyone on here  is in funny form which great to hear!  - just interested in finding out when juvenile strength isn't translating for the south belfast boys - always struck me as a hardworking well run club too

angermanagement

Whats the story with CJ McGourty, did he leave the panel himself or was he pushed?

darrenNGA

Quote from: Dunloy realist on May 14, 2018, 11:50:20 AM
They played a North Antrim hurling match v Carey on Saturday

This isn't All-county though. In South Antrim, these types of games are played by reserve teams.  To be fair, I understand your point that as a dual club, you are punished for being active and organised but I would have to disagree with using a North Antrim game as an argument against it. 

johnnycool

Quote from: angermanagement on May 17, 2018, 11:21:14 AM
Whats the story with CJ McGourty, did he leave the panel himself or was he pushed?

He's recently been appointed as the hurling GDO for Down, he'll be too busy in the Ards to be playing intercounty football.

Welcome CJ.

Na Glinntí Glasa

Quote from: darrenNGA on May 17, 2018, 12:03:28 PM
Quote from: Dunloy realist on May 14, 2018, 11:50:20 AM
They played a North Antrim hurling match v Carey on Saturday

This isn't All-county though. In South Antrim, these types of games are played by reserve teams.  To be fair, I understand your point that as a dual club, you are punished for being active and organised but I would have to disagree with using a North Antrim game as an argument against it.

Its not is true but the same lads play football as well which badly hampers a dual club. were already without the 3 county hurlers for the football games which again doesn't help but thats the joys of being a dual club.

Its a feast or famine which is the sad thing when it comes to games.
hurl like f**k boi!

Belfast GAA man

Looking ahead to the u20 championship match on saturday does anyone know how preparations are going? was there a league for the 20s?
After the u17s not going well this year we could do with a boost....

BrendanAntrim

No insights into the U20 preparation, but wouldn't that be the core of the teams that won a few minor games in successive years?

Re the senior game, I'm looking forward to this one much more than the last couple of years, its a winnable game against a team that will hopefully open up a bit and actually play a bit of football. Our championship performances the last few years were poor, too negative and narrow. We have some brilliant footballers, lets see them play this weekend.

Belfast GAA man

Quote from: BrendanAntrim on May 21, 2018, 11:04:13 PM
No insights into the U20 preparation, but wouldn't that be the core of the teams that won a few minor games in successive years?

Re the senior game, I'm looking forward to this one much more than the last couple of years, its a winnable game against a team that will hopefully open up a bit and actually play a bit of football. Our championship performances the last few years were poor, too negative and narrow. We have some brilliant footballers, lets see them play this weekend.

Yes -you would hope the Aghagallon boys all ireland success would be a good boost to the u20 squad - must be a difficult squad to run with championship clashing with peak exam time at school and university - Aagh the GAA fixture calendar!

NatSoSaff

Any insights into team selection for Down on Saturday? Will Lenny switch up the system a bit to counter Downs danger men? Its a pity CJ is off the panel. Feel we might be found wanting for scores in the closing stages.

belfastsaff

Quote from: NatSoSaff on May 24, 2018, 09:30:38 AM
Any insights into team selection for Down on Saturday? Will Lenny switch up the system a bit to counter Downs danger men? Its a pity CJ is off the panel. Feel we might be found wanting for scores in the closing stages.
I would expect big Ricky J to pick up Connaire Harrison, probably niall delargy on Donal O'Hare. Paddy Gallagher isn't capable of marking a player like Harrison.
Will we try and mark Mooney or will we make mooney mark ? he's key to everything going forward I think a player like paddy McBride would be perfect he's able to going both ways, it will be interesting to see what lenny does but if we win the 2/3 key personal battles we are in with a chance of causing an upset.
Not to worried about CJ hes great from frees but with the shape hes in he wont offer much from play against a team like down. I see McKeever is due to start

Sportacus

Best of luck to Antrim and I hope they have a game plan to take it to Down rather than sit back and defend.  £24 into the Stand seems a lot considering how poor the product can be these days.  The GAA are on thin enough ice if they think they can sustain these prices and yet a lot of coaches are drilling such dreary and unwatchable tactics into their teams. 

Spike

Ticket prices fairly scandalous these days and not too many all stars to view. could be a low enough crowd

country bumpkin

Wonder why a full list of league fixtures is listed for Sunday the day after championship and none for the following few weeks....??

belfastsaff

1. Chris Kerr Criostoir Mac Giolla Cheara Naomh Gall

2 Peter Healy Peadar O hÉilidhe Naomh Eanna

3 Patrick Gallagher Padraig O Gallchoir Lann Abhaigh

4 Niall Delargy Niall O Duilearga Ruairí Mhic Asmáint

5 Kevin O Boyle (Capt) Caoimhin Ó Baoill Clann na hÉireann

6 Ricky Johnston Risteard Mac Seagháin Ciceam an Creagán

7 James Laverty Seamas Ó Labhraí Clann na hÉireann

8 Patrick McAleer Padraig Mac Giolla Uir Naomh Uile

9 Niall McKeever Niall Mac Iomhair Ruairi Mhic Asmaint

10 Mark Sweeney Marcas Mac Suibhne Naomh Jude

11 Conor Murray Conchúr Ó Muiri Lamh Dhearg