Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

paddyjohn

Quote from: farset on October 12, 2018, 02:27:08 PM
Quote from: paddyjohn on October 12, 2018, 02:09:48 PM
Quote from: farset on October 12, 2018, 01:28:11 PM
Corrigan.
Lamh Dhearg

St Johns play at Corrigan ffs.. Lamh Dhearg? No chance.

Simple fact is that the venues are outside Belfast due to parking.

Plenty of parking in Lamh Dhearg. Good routes in and out. When they've been tested they've done well. Last few times I've been to Creggan or Ahoghill I've had to park half way up some mucky road and hoof it on foot. Dunloy and Ballycastle good venues indeed tried and tested but hardly fair on St John's to travel two years in a row.

Dunloy is OK but do you not think for a second that there is a duty on the GAA to push a few Belfast's way, you know Ireland's second city where hurling is struggling a bit?

Its not the clubs in NA or SW Antrims fault that hurling in the city is struggling? Why is it struggling? Its been mismanaged for years and I honestly believe it isn't the clubs fault in SA.Why do you think St Endas and Rossa went to NA to improve? Or why have Kevin Lynches or Burt came to NA? Its organised and people at the top showed an interest in the future of game in that area.

In my opinion the blame lies firmly with the previous county boards and regimes. It's an age old argument that has likely been played to death before on here and more than likely will be again. Of course there is a duty to promote it.

Na Glinntí Glasa

Corrigan.
Lamh Dhearg

Plenty of parking in Lamh Dhearg. Good routes in and out. When they've been tested they've done well. Last few times I've been to Creggan or Ahoghill I've had to park half way up some mucky road and hoof it on foot. Dunloy and Ballycastle good venues indeed tried and tested but hardly fair on St John's to travel two years in a row.

Dunloy is OK but do you not think for a second that there is a duty on the GAA to push a few Belfast's way, you know Ireland's second city where hurling is struggling a bit?

That has to lie with the clubs themselves to enhance and promote the game themselves. The GAA has been putting money into our games for years, granted its not as much as other counties, but that wont change the fortunes of the games themselves.

I follow all the clubs in Antrim on social media as im the PRO for our own club and i see countless examples from clubs in Belfast of the outstanding work thats been done esp in the underage set up. the promotion of the games from each club is brilliant and they give the youth a great platform for which to go forth and become better people. But it needs to keep going if its ever going to get better within the city and that will come from the clubs themselves.

Going to Belfast for the county final was the biggest day in the calendar growing up and we loved nothing more than getting there on county final day and id be more than happy to have them days back again.
hurl like f**k boi!

jftj

was at johnnies v rossa 1\4 final and it was great to see so many kids from other Belfast clubs down watching the game.Surely the county board owe it to Belfast gaels to fix some championship games in the city.lamh dearg could host it.if that's the case are we gonna have to settle for country destinations for championship games for the next 6 years until casement is built.As usual county board showing no sense of foresight or fairness,something we have all come to except.

paddyjohn

My post wasn't designed to have a pop at Belfast clubs, as DR said, heading up the M2 to Casement was something I loved to do with my Oul fella god rest him. Its a sad reality that there isn't a ground in the city capable of holding the expected crowd.

My understanding is that St Johns asked for the replay to be in Dunloy.

The IHC final & Minor B were in Lamh Dhearg so they've held finals in the city along with the IFC in Corrigan next week.

Jesusjones

Quote from: farset on October 12, 2018, 03:27:02 PM
Quote from: Dunloy realist on October 12, 2018, 02:58:05 PM
Corrigan.
Lamh Dhearg

That has to lie with the clubs themselves to enhance and promote the game themselves. The GAA has been putting money into our games for years, granted its not as much as other counties, but that wont change the fortunes of the games themselves.

I follow all the clubs in Antrim on social media as im the PRO for our own club and i see countless examples from clubs in Belfast of the outstanding work thats been done esp in the underage set up. the promotion of the games from each club is brilliant and they give the youth a great platform for which to go forth and become better people. But it needs to keep going if its ever going to get better within the city and that will come from the clubs themselves.

Going to Belfast for the county final was the biggest day in the calendar growing up and we loved nothing more than getting there on county final day and id be more than happy to have them days back again.

I agree with all of what you wrote there.

The decline of hurling in Belfast I'm sure has been discussed a million times on here isn't too hard to understand. It's a cultural thing. For a whole generation or more now GAA kids haven't witnessed Div 1 hurling at their clubs outside of Rossa and St John's. We don't have your parish rule thing. We are genuinely competing with other sports. Football is easier. Parents like GAA but also like soccer so hurling is seen as the third person on the date so to speak.

There are small shoots of green and I hope they continue work away. Football is a different cattle of fish though. Loads of clubs focusing on football and it is going well in the city so it's not that the clubs aren't good GAA clubs. They clearly are. It's just a cultural inclination towards football overall which is hard to take as a hurling man in the city.

So to answer a previous point it isn't the fault of NA clubs that City hurling isn't in a great position but does that mean 1) that you don't showcase one of the biggest games in the club calendar there and 2) St John's have already had to travel.

St. Johns have already had to travel? Cushendall isn't in Dunloy you know. We had to travel too and we'll be travelling to get to Ballycastle as well. The game has to be played at a neutral venue so that's Corrigan out. Lamh Dearg have the side of their pitch dug up so that's out too. Do you want to play at Sarsfields where you have to look through keep nets? Rossa where you've about 40 yards of concrete steps along one side to accommodate everyone? Where else do you want the game to be? Ballymena? There is an Ulster Junior fixture there at the same time. It may have escaped your attention but the Johnnies manager has been on The Saffron Gael and today's Irish News saying they are more than happy to hurl in Dunloy or Ballycastle. So if the manager is happy enough going to Ballycastle what's your agenda?
   If you want to solve Belfast's hurling woes then stop blaming others and waiting on someone else to sort the problem. 

paddyjohn

Quote from: farset on October 12, 2018, 05:48:40 PM
Wanting to bring my kid to see a senior championship game in Belfast without having to drive 80 mile round trip journeys is now called having an agenda.

Wind your neck in, angry boy.

I agree with what you are saying, but it's a reality of where we are at as a county.

It's embarrassing.

Jesusjones

Quote from: farset on October 12, 2018, 05:48:40 PM
Wanting to bring my kid to see a senior championship game in Belfast without having to drive 80 mile round trip journeys is now called having an agenda.

Wind your neck in, angry boy.

80 mile round trip not worth it? Us down the country ran to Casement several times every season. It was a pleasure to do it. It's motorway from Belfast until about 10 miles out of Ballycastle, 2 out of Dunloy. If Ballycastle is too long for you to travel to a senior semi final/ Minor final double header then stay at home. There were plenty of senior championship games in Belfast this year. Rossa V St. Johns, Sarsfields V Cushendall, St. Johns V Ballycastle. But keep stamping your feet like a spoilt child there. Never worry about there being no suitable venues in Belfast to host the game, we'll hurl up and down the Andersonstown Road so you don't have to spend a 5er on red diesel. 

Sweeper 123

Ballycastle pitch in gutters & camogie blitz not helping the surface;

Will be tough underfoot for tomorrow

paddyjohn

Clearing up a wee job around the coast this morning and was in Ballycastle for a fry. Hasn't stopped raining all morning.

Minder

Quote from: Sweeper 123 on October 13, 2018, 11:12:48 AM
Ballycastle pitch in gutters & camogie blitz not helping the surface;

Will be tough underfoot for tomorrow

Yeah but Antrim playing so late in the year (in both codes) has meant there was no way we could have had our championship wrapped up any earlier in the year
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

jftj

rednecks goin on about visiting Belfast for county finals.we are talking about semi finals here.i can assure you that you always had your fair share of semis played in the country,

Jesusjones

Quote from: jftj on October 14, 2018, 04:27:43 AM
rednecks goin on about visiting Belfast for county finals.we are talking about semi finals here.i can assure you that you always had your fair share of semis played in the country,

You chip eaters didn't often get as far as the semi finals.

Sweeper 123

Dunloy winning 8 to 4 ht in Minor final

paddyjohn

Quote from: Sweeper 123 on October 14, 2018, 01:41:14 PM
Dunloy winning 8 to 4 ht in Minor final

Bother in the crowd again?

Hurling fan

Ref in the minor final today was brutal. I said last week about not referring senior games he shouldn't be near a minor game either. He lost the game and he almost let it break out at the end due to his awful decisions.