Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

maldini

The person who videoed it and sent it out will be popular in their club now, assuming they're from RGU or Ballyholland

snoopdog

That punishment is prob about right. But yes where is the line drawn. Would a brawl on the field.warrant same punishment? .

Hedgehunter

Would a brawl between Burren and Kilcoo warrent the same punishment? Ohh wait..

RadioGAAGAA

I think a brawl that goes outside the wire, and involves players assaulting spectators, is very different from (the more regular) on field melee - which by and by large involves shouldering, pushing, shoving and a few punches.
i usse an speelchekor

downjim

While the scenes were bad in Kilcoo, these sentences are tough on the club and no doubt will be appealed, the championship is a strange one, relegation would have been a better deterrent. What everyone is thinking is that the pick of both teams would hardly win intermediate never mind senior lol

Nanderson

I dont really see the championship ban as a punishment. Any club that is in the bottom half of the table would love to skip championship weeks and just concentrate on improving league form. As Jim said relegation or points deduction for this year or next would have made more sense but sure...

terrifictommy

A lot of people are seeing the melee in Kilcoo as an isolated incident whereas it has to be take in account of the previous match - Just because the ruling of 'insufficient lighting' was cited those with cop on will know the game was abandoned because of the fracas. Two games marred by complete chaos has to be dealt with. I'm not saying what that punishment is, that's a long debate.

In terms of Burren - Congrats to them however there's a way to win and a way to lose. On here, in my opinion, the winners have lost. Gloat, be smug, but remember there's a line.

forevergreen

Obviously there was ill feeling from previous RGU v Ballyholland game. The main talking point of which was a player being kicked in the head and the kicker who was named by all who where at that game didn't get so much as a slap on the wrist.
Had that incident been dealt with properly and the head kicker been reported and suspended accordingly then there may have been a different mindset with both teams mindful of possible suspensions  going into the replay. Not reporting or dealing with a man who kicked a player in the head set the precedent for more aggro in the replay.

APM

Quote from: forevergreen on October 17, 2018, 08:58:51 AM
Obviously there was ill feeling from previous RGU v Ballyholland game. The main talking point of which was a player being kicked in the head and the kicker who was named by all who where at that game didn't get so much as a slap on the wrist.
Had that incident been dealt with properly and the head kicker been reported and suspended accordingly then there may have been a different mindset with both teams mindful of possible suspensions  going into the replay. Not reporting or dealing with a man who kicked a player in the head set the precedent for more aggro in the replay.

F***in right!! The sooner people realise two wrongs make a right the better. 

forevergreen

Not what i meant APM, but reality is there was a mindset to settle scores from the previous game long before the ball was thrown in. Had there been suspensions from 1st game and appropriate warnings then do you think any players woyld have left the field. Not likely.

banker

Quote from: forevergreen on October 17, 2018, 09:39:46 AM
Not what i meant APM, but reality is there was a mindset to settle scores from the previous game long before the ball was thrown in. Had there been suspensions from 1st game and appropriate warnings then do you think any players woyld have left the field. Not likely.

The game in Kilcoo there was not a bad tackle in it. This started between grown men behind the fence - which then the players got involved which they should not of.

johnnycool

If Down CCC are making this up as they go along then it will be thrown out before it gets to appeal in Ulster.

It's time that the disciplinary code needs a good look at with the legal profession involved to reduce the amount of loopholes in it.

I'd be inclined to be specific on the punishments as such e.g.

Failing to control your players;
    Entering the field of play without Authorisation; 4 game ban, £500 fine to the club, 2 point deduction in league. expelled from Championship)
    Leaving the field of play without authorisation;  8 game ban, £500 fine to the club ( IIRC this currently is a 6 month suspension, but is never enforced)

If clubs fail to identify person or persons involved, Club removed from all GAA activity for 1 month. All games scheduled to be awarded to opponents.

Failure to control spectators;
   Spectators entering the field of play without Authorisation; 1 year ban, £500 fine to the club

So on and so forth.

The problem is that those issuing the current punishments are volunteers from other clubs with various views and prejudices working in the background and transparency needs to be key here.

Taylor

Quote from: banker on October 17, 2018, 09:50:21 AM

The game in Kilcoo there was not a bad tackle in it. This started between grown men behind the fence - which then the players got involved which they should not of.

So your Da is getting hit and you would stand and watch?

Agree shouldnt have happened but how many men would stand by and watch their father get hit?

johnnycool

Quote from: Taylor on October 17, 2018, 10:00:29 AM
Quote from: banker on October 17, 2018, 09:50:21 AM

So your Da is getting hit and you would stand and watch?

Agree shouldnt have happened but how many men would stand by and watch their father get hit?

None, but don't expect to be playing football/hurling for the foreseeable future.

downjim

Big game Sunday, what's the verdict??