Tyrone v Mayo - Sun 2nd Feb - 2.30pm - Healy Park, Omagh (Joe McQuillan ref)

Started by tyroneman, January 29, 2019, 10:51:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tonto1888

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on February 03, 2019, 10:31:16 PM
Quote from: RedHand88 on February 03, 2019, 06:18:34 PM
Keegans antics yet again blot an otherwise superb mayo performance.

I'd have been disgusted if Keegan hadn't bailed in, Tyrone lad was acting the hard man against a young buck and didn't like it when it was given back to him. What's Keegan meant to do? Stand round and watch his club mate getting mauled?

Who was the Tyrone player

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: RedHand88 on February 03, 2019, 07:22:00 PM
Trone need to sort out the forwards and fast. One of our best out the field men (harte) stuck in the full forward line? Was that the same last week?
Very few positives, though Donnelly did well bottling up O'Se and dare I say it but Morgan was a dab hand when he went on a solo run.
What's the story with Colm cav?

What game were you watching? O'Shea ragdolled Donnelly on a few occasions and had Mattie Donnelly sitting at FB when he took his couple of minutes inside completely out of the game.

As for the lads saying Keegan done this and that. To be honest, you are deflecting. Mayo bossed Tyrone. Keegan done nothing wrong, as mentioned his clubmate was getting a bit of treatment, of course you want to see him run in and help his teammate.

Not a mention of Conor Meyler coming on and running straight over to O'Shea throwing what looked to be straight punches. Clown of a lad, always lets himself down getting involved in niggle. That was not the type of fight that Tyrone needed to show - and certainly not when they were already hammered out the gate.

iorras

To the tyrone boys, I wouldnt get too worried yet to be honest. It takes a good bit of time for a team to get over an all ireland final loss as we well know. They have to be given time to rest and get back into it, it was clear our boys have alot more work done. While we didnt want it at the time our  early summer exit may stand to us in the long run.
Trick for Tyrone is to make sure you beat the likes or Roscommon, Monaghan and Cavan. As good as we were today in parts, wouldnt surprise me if we go to sleep next week against Cavan and calve out 2 points to them.

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: Never beat the deeler on February 04, 2019, 01:44:12 AM
One question - is the word 'callow' widely used in Ireland? I've seen it more in the last couple of pages of this thread than I've seen / heard the word my entire life!  ;D

It's not widely used. Moysider must have been spending a lot of time down at the library during all this bad weather.

spuds

Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on February 04, 2019, 12:46:33 PM
Quote from: Never beat the deeler on February 04, 2019, 01:44:12 AM
One question - is the word 'callow' widely used in Ireland? I've seen it more in the last couple of pages of this thread than I've seen / heard the word my entire life!  ;D

It's not widely used. Moysider must have been spending a lot of time down at the library during all this bad weather.
Or time down by the Shannon outside Athlone.
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

RedHand88

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on February 04, 2019, 09:50:00 AM
Trone need to sort out the forwards and fast. One of our best out the field men (harte) stuck in the full forward line? Was that the same last week?
Very few positives, though Donnelly did well bottling up O'Se and dare I say it but Morgan was a dab hand when he went on a solo run.

What game were you watching? O'Shea ragdolled Donnelly on a few occasions and had Mattie Donnelly sitting at FB when he took his couple of minutes inside completely out of the game.

As for the lads saying Keegan done this and that. To be honest, you are deflecting. Mayo bossed Tyrone. Keegan done nothing wrong, as mentioned his clubmate was getting a bit of treatment, of course you want to see him run in and help his teammate.

Not a mention of Conor Meyler coming on and running straight over to O'Shea throwing what looked to be straight punches. Clown of a lad, always lets himself down getting involved in niggle. That was not the type of fight that Tyrone needed to show - and certainly not when they were already hammered out the gate.

Every high ball sent into O'Se was broken by Donnelly. Also I don't know what "ragdolled" means.

Mayo4Sam

Quote from: tonto1888 on February 04, 2019, 08:02:08 AM

I'd have been disgusted if Keegan hadn't bailed in, Tyrone lad was acting the hard man against a young buck and didn't like it when it was given back to him. What's Keegan meant to do? Stand round and watch his club mate getting mauled?

Sorry Tonto, I can't remember off the top of my head, I'll have a look later and get back to yo
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

RedHand88

Quote from: tonto1888 on February 04, 2019, 08:02:08 AM

Kyle Coney. He had to change jerseys after his got tore off him.

Mayo4Sam

It wasn't really a day for clean high catches but I was impressed with O'Shea yesterday. I said after theRoscommon game that he shouldn't be at 11, too slow moving and too slow to move the ball, playing like Ciaran Kilkenny of two years ago, not a fan of that at all. Yesterday he was Much improved
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: RedHand88 on February 04, 2019, 01:08:29 PM

Every high ball sent into O'Se was broken by Donnelly. Also I don't know what "ragdolled" means.

Maybe they were broken, the point is, Aiden O'Shea dictated where Tyrone's captain and arguably one of their better ball carriers / attackers played. Donnelly was completely ineffective. O'Shea physically bested him and this isn't the first time he's went missing in the heat of battle against a player 'just as big'.  To say Donnelly was better than O'Shea yesterday is your opinion but I for one certainly wouldn't agree - I'd be interested to see what others thought of that battle.

bigpackiechestout

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on February 04, 2019, 01:38:04 PM
Quote from: RedHand88 on February 04, 2019, 01:08:29 PM

Maybe they were broken, the point is, Aiden O'Shea dictated where Tyrone's captain and arguably one of their better ball carriers / attackers played. Donnelly was completely ineffective. O'Shea physically bested him and this isn't the first time he's went missing in the heat of battle against a player 'just as big'.  To say Donnelly was better than O'Shea yesterday is your opinion but I for one certainly wouldn't agree - I'd be interested to see what others thought of that battle.

I thought Mattie got the better of O'Shea. O'Shea didn't score and didn't win any balls played into him when he was in the full forward line, and Mattie still got forward to set up a few points.

In relation to O'Shea dictating where Donnelly played, my reading of this was that Mattie was sent out to do a man marking job on him. While I think Mattie did a good job, I don't think this is a wise use of his talents. He would be much more useful to us picking the ball up around the middle or half forward line and driving through for scores.

Also, there were numerous occasions where Mayo ran straight through the heart of the Tyrone defence yesterday. So while IMO Donnelly did a good job of nullifying O'Shea, our defence was still wide open and the centre half back (Mattie) has to take some responsibility for this.

southtyronegael

so now mattie Donnelly is doing man marking jobs? that's almost as mad as asking tiarnan mc cann to man mark Ciaran kilkenny. oh wait....

Under Lights

Quote from: ONeill on February 03, 2019, 08:42:37 PM
That was depressing to watch.

I think you're hard on Harte. He was the only player taking the game to Mayo in their half. He was busted late on and made errors but only for him we could have been scoreless again for the majority of it.

I just can't see what the plan is that is in any way different from last year. Are Colm and Bradley really that big of a loss in that we now look like a poor division 2 team? Has the Dublin defeat affected this team that badly? Or is it just February?

Talk that there is a bit of a rift between the players.