Player Opt outs for 2020 season

Started by rodney trotter, November 15, 2019, 07:19:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

general_lee

Are there many GAA players in Irish league these days? What's the big attraction? Apart from personal preference, is it less strenuous training/lifestyle? I don't see the big draw for an inter county player to pack it in to go and play against a bunch of shite teams in places like Larne and carrick. And coleraine 🤮

Ethan Tremblay

I'd imagine the training load wouldn't be as intense as the game isn't as fast paced.  Prob more chance of winning also as 3 or 4 new decent players can be drafted into a soccer team.  And depending on the team you could make a few quid too. 

Plus if players are good enough, they can jump in between and switch as they want so missing a year of GAA isn't as big a deal. 
I tend to think of myself as a one man wolfpack...

DuffleKing

GetOverTheBar

Less training (x2 a week if you are even lucky, x1 will be a tactical session), your GAA background will mean you are fitter than the average footballer (at that level), set fixtures, less emphasis on gym workout, money....

If you are lucky enough to have the technique it's probably a no brainer.

GetOverTheBar

Add in you'll receive less abuse also to the above.

imtommygunn

Yeah surely it's the wages. I suspect that less successful counties would have less dropoff to sports like soccer.

thejuice

I could be wrong but now that Reilly and Burke are retired there are no more current players outside Dublin with a Leinster medal. Unless Ross Munnelly is going to play for Laois next year?
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Hound

Quote from: thejuice on November 22, 2019, 07:09:34 PM
I could be wrong but now that Reilly and Burke are retired there are no more current players outside Dublin with a Leinster medal. Unless Ross Munnelly is going to play for Laois next year?
Are Brian Farrell and Conor Gillespie both done with it?

rodney trotter

Done a while. Gillespie had to quit County football 3 or 4 years ago because of knee trouble.
Farrell would be 35?

Hound

Quote from: rodney trotter on November 25, 2019, 01:41:17 PM
Done a while. Gillespie had to quit County football 3 or 4 years ago because of knee trouble.
Farrell would be 35?
Ah I thought Gillespie would be coming back. That's a pity.

I must be mixing Farrell up with someone else. Corner forward who played a fair bit at 11 this year.

Gael85

Quote from: Hound on November 25, 2019, 01:53:09 PM
Quote from: rodney trotter on November 25, 2019, 01:41:17 PM
Farrell would be 35?
Ah I thought Gillespie would be coming back. That's a pity.

I must be mixing Farrell up with someone else. Corner forward who played a fair bit at 11 this year.

Bryan McMahon?

toby47

Killian Clarke, Dara McVeety & Conor Moynagh not part of the Cavan squad this year.

Massive misses for Cavan, they could struggle this year.

Itchy

Quote from: toby47 on November 27, 2019, 07:40:24 AM
Killian Clarke, Dara McVeety & Conor Moynagh not part of the Cavan squad this year.

I am afraid the Cavan Jersey doesn't mean enough to our boys. You'd think after getting to an Ulster final they'd push on but no they dont want to do what is required.

marty34

Quote from: Itchy on November 27, 2019, 08:08:17 AM

I am afraid the Cavan Jersey doesn't mean enough to our boys. You'd think after getting to an Ulster final they'd push on but no they dont want to do what is required.

Are they going travelling?

toby47

Quote from: marty34 on November 27, 2019, 09:22:18 AM
Quote from: Itchy on November 27, 2019, 08:08:17 AM

Are they going travelling?

Moynagh is going travelling, McVeety is for Australia & Clarke quoted below

"I've been involved nine years at this stage," the 26-year-old said. "It's a decision I didn't come to lightly. I want to take a bit of time to myself and evaluate what my life is going to be.
"I heard there were rumours that I had a falling out with management but that's not the case at all. I just fell out of love with the game a wee bit to be honest. I wasn't enjoying it."
He added: "I just want time to concentrate on myself, to look after number one for a change instead of putting football first like I have done for the last eight or nine years."

I find the comment above rash enough - 'I am afraid the Cavan Jersey doesn't mean enough to our boys'

Boys have a life outside of football too, if you anyone read Ronan McNamee's article in the Irish News it isn't always plain sailing. County football brings about it's own pressures & players have to do what is right for them, not for the supporters.