Will you get a Covid vaccine if one becomes available in 2021?

Started by Angelo, October 22, 2020, 10:36:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will you get a Covid vaccine if one becomes available in 2021?

Yes
122 (71.8%)
No
48 (28.2%)

Total Members Voted: 170

dublin7

Quote from: Harold Disgracey on November 19, 2020, 09:49:52 AM
I think not, I have an understanding of science, statistics and clinical trials. As an aside, I was working for Pfizer in Sandwich in Kent in the summer of 1993 when they were getting some strange side effects  reported for a new drug they were trialling!

That's why they trial drugs before releasing them and/or submitting it for approval to the regulators. Is this drug on the market today?

Harold Disgracey

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 19, 2020, 09:53:45 AM
I think not, I have an understanding of science, statistics and clinical trials. As an aside, I was working for Pfizer in Sandwich in Kent in the summer of 1993 when they were getting some strange side effects  reported for a new drug they were trialling!

And is that new drug being used by the general public?

It has helped 'stiffen' the resolve in some members!

I see the initial results in the Oxford AstraZeneca trials appear positive.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Harold Disgracey on November 19, 2020, 10:29:47 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 19, 2020, 09:53:45 AM

And is that new drug being used by the general public?

It has helped 'stiffen' the resolve in some members!

I see the initial results in the Oxford AstraZeneca trials appear positive.

Yes the little blue pill, I'd have loved to have been a medical sales man at the start of that journey !!

I see Oxfords tests trials are cheaper and work better with the older ones, only stage 2 I see so a bit to go yet!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

armaghniac

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 19, 2020, 10:49:28 AM
I see Oxfords tests trials are cheaper and work better with the older ones, only stage 2 I see so a bit to go yet!

Yes, but this a peer reviewed publication resulting from stage 2. These stage 2 results have been around in outline for a couple of months and stage 3 is well under away.

It is all rather encouraging. What excuse are the "live iife" crowd going to use now, they used say that there may never be a vaccine, but it is now very likely that there will be.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: armaghniac on November 19, 2020, 11:26:33 AM

Yes, but this a peer reviewed publication resulting from stage 2. These stage 2 results have been around in outline for a couple of months and stage 3 is well under away.

It is all rather encouraging. What excuse are the "live iife" crowd going to use now, they used say that there may never be a vaccine, but it is now very likely that there will be.

Do you reckon the average man will ever see the vaccine?

What could be the 'exit'. Mass vaccination of over 60s to first save on dosage / get the most vulnerable protected once it's cleared then....we return to somewhat normal with Covid 19 being something that is always there (perhaps reducing over time with increased vaccine effectiveness). 

Rossfan

Health services staff will be first I'd expect.
Over 65s and people with underlying conditions next.
Also people whose work entails a lot of human contact?
Then mass immunisations of the rest as supplies come to hand.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

mackers

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on November 19, 2020, 11:40:34 AM

What could be the 'exit'. Mass vaccination of over 60s to first save on dosage / get the most vulnerable protected once it's cleared then....we return to somewhat normal with Covid 19 being something that is always there (perhaps reducing over time with increased vaccine effectiveness).
I know the term "game changer" has been used a lot over the last couple of weeks but I think if the Oxford vaccine gets the green light it will be absolutely massive for us northerners.  BoJo has backed that horse hard. One source I read predicted that herd immunity in the US will come in July 21 with the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines authorised.  If the Oxford vaccine gets authorised it will be April 21.  I'd imagine the effect of the Oxford Vaccine would be even more pronounced in the UK.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: mackers on November 19, 2020, 12:31:45 PM
Quote from: GetOverTheBar on November 19, 2020, 11:40:34 AM

I know the term "game changer" has been used a lot over the last couple of weeks but I think if the Oxford vaccine gets the green light it will be absolutely massive for us northerners.  BoJo has backed that horse hard. One source I read predicted that herd immunity in the US will come in July 21 with the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines authorised.  If the Oxford vaccine gets authorised it will be April 21.  I'd imagine the effect of the Oxford Vaccine would be even more pronounced in the UK.

I can get behind this type of postiivity.

armaghniac

Quote from: mackers on November 19, 2020, 12:31:45 PM

It would, because it will be April before the UK gets the Moderna vaccine as they haven't even started to do a deal with them.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

LCohen

Quote from: Angelo on November 18, 2020, 01:58:10 PM
Quote from: LCohen on November 18, 2020, 01:37:42 PM
Quote from: Angelo on November 17, 2020, 02:18:05 PM

Getting a lot right doesn't mean you can't be wrong a lot or a lesser amount either.

There are genuine health concerns for people here and that's why one around 1 in 3 people who voted on this poll have said no.
So you are now speaking for others. So speaking for those others spell out the genuine health concerns?

Maybe rather than trying to dictate to people
Be specific. Who have I dictated to and what I have dictated that they should do?

This is a good start. They can and do get things right. So its its rather stupid to start from the perspective that because they are pharma that they are automatically wrong. You need to point to specifics. Something you are not yet doing.

I haven't said they can't. I have said they can and have got things wrong in the past. And for a vaccine that would has been rushed through in an unprecedented timeline then I'd be extra cautious.

So you are now speaking for others. So speaking for those others spell out the genuine health concerns?

I'm speaking for myself but there is a poll up there that says 30%+ of respondents won't get the vaccine next year if its available. You'd have to ask everyone of them why but I've outlined my reasons which are rational and valid so I don't see the need for you to try and badger me into blindly taking something I believe may well have consequences on my health. You are a very narrowminded person who can't tolerate other people and their viewpoints.

Across a number of threads you have been extremely disingenuous and misleading. You have been caught red handed already making a number of claims that you cannot validate.

All I have done is outline my concerns in this thread, they are valid and they are based on precedent and concerns with the uncertainty of the vaccine. You have merely sought to badger me into voluntarily taking something could actually turn out to be quite harmful. The question you really need to ask is why are you doing this?

But what are your specific concerns?

You keep saying have outlined them and that they are valid but without outlining anything other than the process has been "rushed". This isn't really an issue unless you can point to something that has been left undone in the rush.

LCohen

Quote from: Angelo on November 18, 2020, 05:29:28 PM
Quote from: Franko on November 18, 2020, 04:52:39 PM

Getting a lot right doesn't mean you can't be wrong a lot or a lesser amount either.

There are genuine health concerns for people here and that's why one around 1 in 3 people who voted on this poll have said no.

Be specific. Who have I dictated to and what I have dictated that they should do?

This is a good start. They can and do get things right. So its its rather stupid to start from the perspective that because they are pharma that they are automatically wrong. You need to point to specifics. Something you are not yet doing.

I haven't said they can't. I have said they can and have got things wrong in the past. And for a vaccine that would has been rushed through in an unprecedented timeline then I'd be extra cautious.

I'm speaking for myself but there is a poll up there that says 30%+ of respondents won't get the vaccine next year if its available. You'd have to ask everyone of them why but I've outlined my reasons which are rational and valid so I don't see the need for you to try and badger me into blindly taking something I believe may well have consequences on my health. You are a very narrowminded person who can't tolerate other people and their viewpoints.

Across a number of threads you have been extremely disingenuous and misleading. You have been caught red handed already making a number of claims that you cannot validate.

All I have done is outline my concerns in this thread, they are valid and they are based on precedent and concerns with the uncertainty of the vaccine. You have merely sought to badger me into voluntarily taking something could actually turn out to be quite harmful. The question you really need to ask is why are you doing this?

Do you intend to never get this vaccination?

If not, how long would you let others get vaccinated for, before you were happy that it would be safe enough for you to get?

When I'm satisfied it is safe and works and the benefits of it outweigh potential consequnces then I would get it. But it will take years to find that out.

I've never got a flu vaccine. The majority of people I know in my demograph with no underlying health conditions don't either that I'm aware of.

What is it that will give you assurance that it is safe? What level of risk are you prepared to take?

Angelo

Quote from: LCohen on November 19, 2020, 02:52:13 PM

But what are your specific concerns?

You keep saying have outlined them and that they are valid but without outlining anything other than the process has been "rushed". This isn't really an issue unless you can point to something that has been left undone in the rush.

My concerns don't have to specific. I've outlined them multiple times for you.

You're asking me prove something that you can't disprove, this highlights the idiocy of your argument. You can get the vaccine if you want. I don't care what you do or don't do but you seem to trying to harangue me into doing something that I have valid concerns over not doing. It's a bizarre stance you are taking on this, are you normally this naive on everything?

GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Angelo

Quote from: LCohen on November 19, 2020, 02:54:19 PM

If not, how long would you let others get vaccinated for, before you were happy that it would be safe enough for you to get?

When I'm satisfied it is safe and works and the benefits of it outweigh potential consequnces then I would get it. But it will take years to find that out.

I've never got a flu vaccine. The majority of people I know in my demograph with no underlying health conditions don't either that I'm aware of.

What is it that will give you assurance that it is safe? What level of risk are you prepared to take?

Time.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

LCohen

Quote from: Angelo on November 18, 2020, 05:59:12 PM
Quote from: Franko on November 18, 2020, 05:38:31 PM

Happy enough for others to get it but not me.  Figures.

As for the second part.  Good for you.  Irrelevant though.

If people want to get it then that's not my call. You seem to be now chastising me for not trying to force my views onto others? Are you a closet Nazi or something?

If you want to get the vaccine, go ahead. If you like me you have worries, then don't.

I think that post above typifies the the nasty and intolerant undercurrent from posters like you which has been apparent all throughout this thread.

Highly likely that the vaccine will be voluntary.

On a global scale there may well be opportunities that are only open to those with up to date vaccinations but we are not there yet.

However societies could be faced with a real problem with low take up and some spurious reasons for not getting it. It's important that people outline the specifics of why they would not take the vaccine. The higher the take up the better

LCohen

Quote from: Angelo on November 18, 2020, 07:18:12 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 18, 2020, 06:57:19 PM
Angelo do you think that if you get Covid that you'll be fine?

Don't intend on getting it but my demograph doesn't seem to be impact greatly by it.

And that is how it works.

What about anyone you pass it on to. Should they get a vaccine?