Westminster Election 12th December 2019

Started by Ambrose, October 29, 2019, 02:24:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Applesisapples on January 13, 2020, 09:53:15 AM
Quote from: Kidder81 on January 11, 2020, 03:58:15 PM
Department for Health the second last pick, says it all, the old firm didn't fancy it
SDLP for all their bleating avoided it like the plague. Also can't help but wonder why the Shinners had their feet held to the fire on Irish and the SDLP didn't.

Because as the largest nationalist party they held the power on the decisions. Patsy McGlone should have been speaker's job(as the best gaeilgeoir in assembly) instead of that handbag stealer Maskey.

JohnDenver

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on January 13, 2020, 10:24:15 AM
Department for Health the second last pick, says it all, the old firm didn't fancy it
SDLP for all their bleating avoided it like the plague. Also can't help but wonder why the Shinners had their feet held to the fire on Irish and the SDLP didn't.

Because as the largest nationalist party they held the power on the decisions. Patsy McGlone should have been speaker's job(as the best gaeilgeoir in assembly) instead of that handbag stealer Maskey.

Do proceed to provide any evidence to backup this claim?

Applesisapples

Quote from: JohnDenver on January 13, 2020, 10:51:21 AM

Naomi Long has just said that there was no agreement as Eastwood has claimed. Much as I want to have an alternative to SF on the nationalist side this constant taking of positions just to get at SF e.g. we should go back now (no mention of Irish etc) as opposed to articulating a policy that actually puts pressure on SF to deliver is a turn off. It smacks of Trumpian politics of making statements with little correlation to the truth. That said I personally wouldn't have chosen Maskey but it is SF's right to do so. Naomi Long was complimentary in relation to his ability to do the job. Much as I want to see Irish promoted I don't believe that a lack of fluency should preclude you from any role.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Yeah its well known, he is first class. The only other fluent speaker is Maolisa McHugh. After that you have Mark H Durkan who is not bad and I think Kearney has a wee bit. Patsy is top notch though with a real grĂ¡ for the language

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Applesisapples on January 13, 2020, 11:17:21 AM

Naomi Long has just said that there was no agreement as Eastwood has claimed. Much as I want to have an alternative to SF on the nationalist side this constant taking of positions just to get at SF e.g. we should go back now (no mention of Irish etc) as opposed to articulating a policy that actually puts pressure on SF to deliver is a turn off. It smacks of Trumpian politics of making statements with little correlation to the truth. That said I personally wouldn't have chosen Maskey but it is SF's right to do so. Naomi Long was complimentary in relation to his ability to do the job. Much as I want to see Irish promoted I don't believe that a lack of fluency should preclude you from any role.

This is one of the things that SF have been doing for years. I have been calling for SF to get back, I just wonder what was it all about when we haven't got any of the concessions we set out to get 3 years ago. I hopefully can be corrected on this

It should not but I thought it was a golden opportunity in the light of the last 3 years, to actually promote the spoken tongue in a very practical and public manner.

trailer

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on January 13, 2020, 12:01:14 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on January 13, 2020, 11:17:21 AM

This is one of the things that SF have been doing for years. I have been calling for SF to get back, I just wonder what was it all about when we haven't got any of the concessions we set out to get 3 years ago. I hopefully can be corrected on this

It should not but I thought it was a golden opportunity in the light of the last 3 years, to actually promote the spoken tongue in a very practical and public manner.

Agreed

bennydorano

Significant by election in North Shropshire today, an extremely safe Tory seat under threat from the Liberals. Labour's participation will likely save Bojo tho.

Armagh18

Quote from: bennydorano on December 16, 2021, 03:31:31 PM
Significant by election in North Shropshire today, an extremely safe Tory seat under threat from the Liberals. Labour's participation will likely save Bojo tho.
Only another 500 or so seats needed then? Lol

maddog

Bookies has Tories and Libs roughly same price this morning. If the Tories lose it i guess the significance is in the talk that the letters will be allowed into the 1922 committee, which could result in vote of no confidence. In one way Labour might prefer Worzel stays there as Sunak/Gove or dare i say it Truss might be hard beat at an election.

bennydorano

Quote from: Armagh18 on December 16, 2021, 04:01:55 PM
If they lose Bojo is toast.

Quote from: maddog on December 16, 2021, 04:06:23 PM
Bookies has Tories and Libs roughly same price this morning. If the Tories lose it i guess the significance is in the talk that the letters will be allowed into the 1922 committee, which could result in vote of no confidence. In one way Labour might prefer Worzel stays there as Sunak/Gove or dare i say it Truss might be hard beat at an election.
Tories will go into meltdown mode if they lose, with the right wing already going bonkers over Covid all bets are off, anything could happen.

maddog

Quote from: bennydorano on December 16, 2021, 04:13:53 PM
Quote from: Armagh18 on December 16, 2021, 04:01:55 PM
If they lose Bojo is toast.

Quote from: maddog on December 16, 2021, 04:06:23 PM
Tories will go into meltdown mode if they lose, with the right wing already going bonkers over Covid all bets are off, anything could happen.

Interesting that the right wing media started to turn couple of months ago. Guess it was always the plan, get Brexit "done" and then get someone else in.
I remember when Major was in thinking the Tories couldnt get any worse.  ;D

screenexile

RadioGAAGAA

i usse an speelchekor

imtommygunn

I will believe it when I see it. The Tory wagons do seem to be circling mind you.